Review of The Magician's Secret

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Leticia Freitas
Favorite Author: Patrick Rothfuss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leticia-freitas.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
fav_author_id: 3201

Re: Review of The Magician's Secret

Post by Leticia Freitas »

This book was really good and I appreciated the new concept of magic they use. I wonder if more types will appear or not.
I’m anxious to read book 2, there’s a lot still to explore and Townsend set up the world just right.
I hope Devon gets the recognition he deserves!
Nube Vargas
Favorite Author: Andrew Tweeddale
Currently Reading: Discovering Twins
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nube24.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
fav_author_id: 247480

Post by Nube Vargas »

Omg! This is an amazing book. Makes believe people in magic. About a young magician that encounter a few challenges in his way when his dear friend and mentor died.
Ben Madeley
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-madeley.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ben Madeley »

I really enjoy fantasy novels and this sounds like a very interesting and enjoyable one, however it's a shane that the characters aren't more thoroughly described.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Hidden Burglar by Jacquel Clark

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

Today's book is a fantasy novel about magic and power struggles. The plot is a good mix of action, adventure, mystery, suspense, and thriller, with tricks, illusions, and misdirection thrown in for good measure. Congratulations on being chosen as Book of the Day!
Sonia_Gonzalez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonia-gonzalez.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II

Post by Sonia_Gonzalez »

I am intrigued by this book, the review is really good and I want to know what actually happened with the Magician. My only complaint is that I would like to know more about the rest of the characters since the review does not explain that much about how they met or who they are.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Congrats on BOTD. Those who like magic and fantasy books will enjoy Delvin's adventure.
tienlen152
Currently Reading: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tienlen152.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by tienlen152 »

Delvin is fascinated by magic and is being taught by Magician Borlock. One night, Delvin wakes up next to Borlock's unconscious body, holding a chair leg. He embarks on an adventure with Princess Jarla and Fionella to save Hengel from war. The story is fast-paced, and the characters are well-developed. The book includes maps and building layouts, which helped with visualization. The protagonist, Delvin's appearance, and age are not described, which was a downside. Princess Jarla is a standout character as she is strong and confident, going against societal norms.
Nisha DSouza
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Nisha DSouza »

I enjoyed the sample I read that was featured in the BOTD. Also, the review makes me want to read the whole book to know what happened to Delvin in the new city and what he inherited from his mentor and friend, Borlock.
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Quest: Finding Freddie
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I love reading magical fantasies. The author's ability to create an engaging plot and to describe the various settings in the book should be appreciated. Congratulations on being BOTD.
Jack King
Favorite Book: Specter of the Past
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jack-king.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jack King »

Ria710 wrote: 03 Feb 2022, 20:13 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Delvin has been captivated by magic ever since he learned about it. Magician Borlock had been teaching Delvin some tricks, until one fateful night. Delvin couldn’t remember what had exactly happened. All he knew was that he was standing near Borlock’s unconscious body with a chair leg in his hand. Did he just kill the one person he looks up to the most? Or has someone framed him? Delvin then gets thrust into a world of adventure and magic as he embarks on a journey with Princess Jarla and Fionella to save Hengel from war. Will they succeed in their mission? Read The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend to find out.

As I started reading the first chapter, I immediately felt compelled to read more. The first chapter throws you into the story at a rapid pace. The events are happening very quickly which leaves you asking many questions. As a result, you find yourself starting chapter 2 without hesitation. For this reason, I believe Townsend has done a great job at setting up the story.

The story flowed at a reasonable pace and which allowed me to get to understand the characters more. Since the book contains many different places, Townsend has done an excellent job at describing each one. The added maps and building layouts at the start of the book also helped.

Out of all the characters, my favourite would have to be Princess Jarla because she was different from all the other women. Jarla is a strong, fearless, confident woman who isn’t afraid to speak up. This book is set in a time where only men could boss and women just stood by. So, it was inspiring to see Jarla go against these norms.

The only dislike I have about the story is that I wish Townsend had described the characters’ appearance more. Taking Delvin as an example, I don’t know what he looks like or if he’s tall or short. I don’t even know how old Delvin and the other characters are. This is a very simple thing, but it makes a huge impact. I was left struggling to picture what Delvin, the protagonist, looked like. Despite this, I still had a great time reading the book.

Overall, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it was an enjoyable read. I didn’t find any mistakes as I was reading, so it is exceptionally edited. Due to violent scenes in the book, it’s not appropriate for children. I recommend this book to young adults who enjoy reading books that take them on an adventure.

The Magician's Secret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
A very positive review and it’s clear you enjoyed the book thoroughly.
We've longed to see the roses, but never felt the thorns
And bought our pretty crowns, but never paid the price
Find me in the river, find me there
Find me on my knees with my soul laid bare
Brittany Arendse
Currently Reading: Children of Dune (Dune, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-arendse.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 6%

Post by Brittany Arendse »

I am so excited to get my hands on this book. Sounds so enthralling and everything I love to read about in a great fantasy novel.Can't wait! I also enjoy a strong female character so this should be very satisfying! :P
Jorge Leon Salazar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

I wonder if Delvin really killed the magician Borlock since he was the person Delvin admires the most. Jarla seems like an interesting character for being strong, fearless, and self-assured in a time when only men could boss and women were simply stood by. It looks like a good option for young adults.
Esther Godwin Ogechi
Currently Reading: Adventures with Pop Pop at Grant’s Farm
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-godwin-ogechi.html
Latest Review: Worldmaker of Yand - Eltanin by Andri E. Elia

Post by Esther Godwin Ogechi »

The Magician's Secret is truly an intriguing book that leaves its readers turning the pages wanting to know more. I was equally fascinated with the character of Princess Jarla. She was presented as a confident woman who knew what she wanted.
For I know the thought I have for you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace, not of evil, to give you an expected end.Jeremiah 29:11
Prudencio Al Carino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prudencio-al-carino.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Prudencio Al Carino »

I like this Book very much. I was very impressed to see how Delvin has changed from an illusionnist to a Real magician. He is pretty intelligent and has used the stone carefully.
Cynthia Rhoden
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Cynthia Rhoden »

I have a feeling the dark figure might know more than Delvin. To me it seems as though he may have planted Delvin at the spot through magic to plant the murder on him, because Delvin doesn't seem to seem to know what is going on. Very interesting though.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”