Official Review: A Talebearer's Awakening by H. J. Moe.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
HateToWin
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hatetowin.html
Latest Review: "DIGGING A HOLE IN THE GROUND and other design classics" by Niall Hedderman
fav_author_id: 2456

Official Review: A Talebearer's Awakening by H. J. Moe.

Post by HateToWin »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Talebearer's Awakening" by H. J. Moe.]

Isabel "Issy" Jones is a seemingly normal eleven year old girl, but everything changes on her twelfth birthday. Instead of her birthday being another normal day everything starts to change for her, she suddenly doesn't need her glasses to see and her hearing becomes extraordinary, what she doesn't know is that she is becoming a Talebearer.

As the power of the Talebearer starts to awaken within her and she is thrown into a mysterious world she realizes things aren't normal anymore, and the things she knew about her seemingly deceased father may not be true, but to find out she has to act quickly and master her new found powers to not only save herself, but to save her father if he is still alive.

A Talebearer's Awakening tells a unique and interesting story about people known as Talebearers, they have the power to make anything they write happen, and to travel inside and explore different books. I liked the premise of this book and while the characters were not very deep, the story itself was interesting.

While the premise was good, I did have a few problems with this book, while the interactions between Issy and her best friend Michelle were mostly good, they were really the only interesting characters, and their interactions with other characters seemed shallow for the most part. There are also alot of descriptions that didn't affect the story and just became tedious to read, such as describing what every character is wearing at the time, even when it isn't important, or describing how to make toast with peanut butter on it.

Overall this book was interesting, it had its flaws, but the concept was good and the interactions between Issy and Michelle made the scenes they were in good. I didn't really find myself drawn into this book, the premise was good, but the book was aimed more towards kids. By no means do I think this is a bad book, I just don't feel it was intended for an older audience. I would have to give this book a 2 out of 4, while I did enjoy certain aspects of it, and feel kids would enjoy the book, it just wasn't a book for me.

Buy "A Talebearer's Awakening" on Amazon
Last edited by Scott on 14 Dec 2012, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: 21
Latest Review: "DIGGING A HOLE IN THE GROUND and other design classics" by Niall Hedderman
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Good review.
lemming
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lemming.html
Latest Review: "Broken Land, A Brooklyn Tale" by John Biscello

Post by lemming »

Sounds interesting. The power to make anything she writes happen sounds like she is not to be messed with, so I wonder where the conflict comes from.
Latest Review: "Broken Land, A Brooklyn Tale" by John Biscello
AndrewCollar
Favorite Author: R.A. Salvatore
Favorite Book: The Sea of Swords
Currently Reading: Invasion Cycle Book 1
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrewcollar.html

Post by AndrewCollar »

This review is great. I am glad I read it. To have the power to make something happen just by writing about it is truly a intriguing power to behold. Imagine the limitless possibilities!? Bring loved ones back, create empires, go back in time, travel to the future, or anything else the imagination can muster. I will surely be taking a look into this book as soon as possible. Thanks for the review!
heidianne
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by heidianne »

The book sounds pretty interesting, can you imagine being able to make whatever you write down happen? Oh, the possibilities!
ttuso22
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ttuso22.html
Latest Review: The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by ttuso22 »

Seems interesting. Was the concept kind of like the Neverending Story?
If there’s a book you really want to read but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it. ~Toni Morrison
Indhira_Me
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-indhira-me.html

Post by Indhira_Me »

The plot does seem interesting. Good review by the way and I don't mind if its for a younger audience, I just know I will love it if the writing is good. I am going to try this book once I finish my current series!
ejcogan
Favorite Author: Jeaniene Frost
Favorite Book: Once Burned
Currently Reading: The Truth of all Flesh
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ejcogan.html
Latest Review: "Dehumanized" by Michael Loring
fav_author_id: 3311

Post by ejcogan »

It does sound as though it's geared for younger people. I tend to preread books I am getting for my 10 year old daughter and though sometimes the books don't hold my interest (as in I wouldn't give them 4 stars) she finds them fantastic and would give them 4 stars. I guess it's about the perspective of the reader. I liked your review and am glad I read it. The story sounds like one my daughter would really like. I will definitely get this book.
It is better to have loved and lost, than to be married to a psycho for the rest of your life.
Latest Review: "Dehumanized" by Michael Loring
Tammyellelamb

Post by Tammyellelamb »

Great Review. It's a bummer it seems like it's meant for a younger crowd. The premise sounded good :/.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Wow sounds like such a fun idea. I don't mind stories for children. I may have to check this out!
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very interesting idea about the talebearers. I would love to read this book. Nice review and very honest.
njzeba
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njzeba.html

Post by njzeba »

ooo beign a talebearer sounds super cool. I'll read the book just to pretend like I am a talebearer lol! Very great review!
Fatima70
Currently Reading: The Mighty Blue Saves Christmas
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Fatima70 »

Interesting and captivating fiction indeed. Fantasies and realities lay apart for an actual reader, though. But that's a kids choice in many cultures; an imaginative world of characters with superhuman possibilities. If interesting and intended by author for a younger audience and the ones valuing otherwise impossible miracles, storyline merits a good score.
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

Sounds interesting, but I'd love to know just a little more about the conflict in the plot. I agree with some of the comments that rating it low because of the intended audience isn't a fair choice. That's something that needs to be taken into consideration as a reviewer because all of that information should be listed up front. The book sounds awesome, even if it's meant for younger kids.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

It sounds like a combination of the Inkheart series and Pagemaster. It's a pity the characterisation is shallow because I would have absolutely loved this.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”