Official Review: A Talebearer's Awakening by H. J. Moe.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Re: Official Review: A Talebearer's Awakening by H. J. Moe.

Post by DD129 »

Thank you for your review. The premise of the book sounded so interesting. It's a shame that it's meant for a younger audience, but I might still check it out.
Lindsey Klaus
Currently Reading: The Rogue Queen
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey-klaus.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Lindsey Klaus »

As a writer myself, the premise sounds incredibly dangerous. :lol: Considering I write horror, I'm not sure I'd want to live in the worlds I create, ha! Alright, the premise caught me. That's pretty cool. It's disappointing that the descriptions were boring and the characters weren't depthful. I feel like a story like this lends itself to great possibility, especially in the realm of character development, but hopefully a younger reader will enjoy it.
Caribqueen16
Favorite Book: The Employee Millionaire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caribqueen16.html
Latest Review: Let’s Mountain Bike! by Paul Molenberg

Post by Caribqueen16 »

HateToWin wrote: 30 Nov 2012, 22:36 [Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Talebearer's Awakening" by H. J. Moe.]

Isabel "Issy" Jones is a seemingly normal eleven year old girl, but everything changes on her twelfth birthday. Instead of her birthday being another normal day everything starts to change for her, she suddenly doesn't need her glasses to see and her hearing becomes extraordinary, what she doesn't know is that she is becoming a Talebearer.

As the power of the Talebearer starts to awaken within her and she is thrown into a mysterious world she realizes things aren't normal anymore, and the things she knew about her seemingly deceased father may not be true, but to find out she has to act quickly and master her new found powers to not only save herself, but to save her father if he is still alive.

A Talebearer's Awakening tells a unique and interesting story about people known as Talebearers, they have the power to make anything they write happen, and to travel inside and explore different books. I liked the premise of this book and while the characters were not very deep, the story itself was interesting.

While the premise was good, I did have a few problems with this book, while the interactions between Issy and her best friend Michelle were mostly good, they were really the only interesting characters, and their interactions with other characters seemed shallow for the most part. There are also alot of descriptions that didn't affect the story and just became tedious to read, such as describing what every character is wearing at the time, even when it isn't important, or describing how to make toast with peanut butter on it.

Overall this book was interesting, it had its flaws, but the concept was good and the interactions between Issy and Michelle made the scenes they were in good. I didn't really find myself drawn into this book, the premise was good, but the book was aimed more towards kids. By no means do I think this is a bad book, I just don't feel it was intended for an older audience. I would have to give this book a 2 out of 4, while I did enjoy certain aspects of it, and feel kids would enjoy the book, it just wasn't a book for me.

Buy "A Talebearer's Awakening" on Amazon
This was a very honest review. It was not suitable reading for you but you were still able to enjoy it for the while. You gave a good recommendation for the targeted audience.
Where there is a will, there's got to be a way :D
Nafreezy
Currently Reading: HBR Guide to Project Management
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nafreezy.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nafreezy »

Sounds like a wonderful read despite it sounding like it would suit kids better. I'm so interested in whether she finds her father alive and if and how she rescues him.
Lovely and honest review, thank you.
Njatha77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njatha77.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Njatha77 »

I'd like to be a Talebearer — travel and live inside books. :D
"Difficulty keeps it interesting!"
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

The storyline looks interesting. Furthermore, when I see the main character suddenly awaken her power, that is when I know this book will be a good read.
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

From the review, the plot and storyline of the book is quite intriguing. I would love to read the book so as to know how it ended. Thanks for your review.
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

A talebearer is like a messenger. Isabel is an intriguing character who has awoken the gift of talebearing within her, and she has to use it wisely. There'd definitely be challenges, and I would love to know how she survived all of it. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”