Official Review: Mastermind by Tom Wheeler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Official Review: Mastermind by Tom Wheeler

Post by rumik »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mastermind" by Tom Wheeler.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mason Thomas is a robotics expert at a company called Phoenix, but he isn't just your average robotics expert. Mason is a Christian prophet who has cryptic dreams that end up coming true. Mastermind by Tom Wheeler is the second book in The Last Messenger trilogy. The US is dealing with the aftermath of a nuclear attack in this book, but there is already more trouble right around the corner as foreign governments look to infiltrate the US government with androids. Yes, androids! Espionage and assassinations are commonplace in this riveting thriller that combines political and religious themes with science fiction.

I don't think any summary I can write will do this book's plot justice. There are a multitude of subplots, all beautifully coming together by the end with so many characters and conflicts. It is difficult to manage a story that spans so many nations, but the author intelligently brings everything together to form a conclusion that will leave you on the edge of your seat.

The book isn't just about androids assassinating people—it presents us with questions that may be too difficult to answer. How much of your freedom are you willing to sacrifice in order to be safe? Would you allow the government to implant biometric identification chips in you for the sake of preventing terrorism? How much of someone can you replace with robotic parts until they're a completely different person?

Mason is not the kind of hero that typically saves the day. He may be a prophet, but he's still just a regular person with no experience when it comes to espionage. Although he is a devout Christian now, he is not perfect, and the sins of his past eventually catch up with him. His visions are cryptic and difficult to understand, and there are moments where he finds himself wondering why his god allows so many bad things to happen. All these things serve to make him more human, allowing the author to write about religious themes without sounding like he's preaching to us.

Seeing as Mason is not involved in international espionage, the story is told through many other characters as well. Despite the many primary and secondary characters, no one feels underdeveloped or uninteresting. One of my favorites was Rihanna Zeva, a tough assassin on the run who has also recently converted to Christianity after encountering Mason in the first book.

There is nothing I really disliked about this book, except some editing issues I cannot overlook. Most of the actual writing errors are minor, except one obvious typo. The bigger issue lies in the formatting of the book; some pages are misnumbered, and I noticed a few instances where the font changed for no apparent stylistic reason. Sometimes, entire sentences or phrases are unnecessarily italicized, causing the emphasis to lose its effect.

I can easily give this book 3 out of 4 stars for its complex plot, interesting characters, and suspenseful writing. I would not hesitate to give it 4 out of 4 stars if the editing errors were corrected.

I suspect Christian readers will enjoy this book more as it contains heavy Christian themes, though I was able to enjoy it despite not being Christian. As for sexual content, the most that is directly shown is a couple beginning to kiss passionately as a prelude to what follows; characters also mention past sexual acts. This is the second book in a series, but past events are explained enough for it to be read by someone who hasn't read the first as well. I would recommend this brilliantly crafted tale to all fans of political thrillers.

Mastermind
View: on Bookshelves
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Miraphery »

This seems like a well-written book with interesting characters. I love suspense and being a Christian, I think I'd enjoy it. Thanks for the review.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

This sounds like an exciting book. Thanks for the great review!
Othatz_kira
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Othatz_kira »

It I sounds like an good book with suspense and I feel like you really have get into it I think I would love to read it.
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

Androids and murders in a book with heavy Christian background is not something I hear about everyday, but the way that you describe it makes it sound quite interesting. I really hope the book keeps up with your review. Do you think that the Christian background, besides the obvious implications in the prophet's story, has meaningful impact on the plot? Or that it sends some sort of Christian themed message instead of simply using it as a tool to develop the story?
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Ripsons
Bookshelf Size: 416
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by NetMassimo »

I'm not sure about the religious themes, but there seem to be a number of ethical and moral issues that get developed in the novel together with other elements that make it intriguing. Thank you for your informative review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
BBBFre
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bbbfre.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by BBBFre »

This book sounds great! I like to hear that most or all of the characters seem to have been well developed. I am curious to see how all the parts fit together! Thank you for this excellent review.
Brighton liwawo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Brighton liwawo »

Am looking forward to read the first book of Mason Thomas because this one sound great
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

The complex plot sounds exciting with the perspectives of the main character and well developed side characters. A futuristic books with sci-fi elements, espionage, and Christian themes sounds like an interesting mix. Thanks for the awesome review!
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

It seems like you truly enjoyed this book, and I really do think your review did it justice. Great work!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

I enjoy heady sci-fi stories with complex plots, and I'm especially intrigued by the combination of advanced technology and religious prophecy, so this should be right up my alley. Thanks for the review!
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

Suspense thrillers are always exciting. Nice review!
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

It sounds as if there are ethical issues here that make you think about the future and what we will do to keep safe. From your review, I think I would enjoy this book. Great job!
Erandi Ekanayake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erandi-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Erandi Ekanayake »

It seems the book contains an excellent plot. Thanks for the great review! :)
Caribqueen16
Favorite Book: The Employee Millionaire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caribqueen16.html
Latest Review: Let’s Mountain Bike! by Paul Molenberg

Post by Caribqueen16 »

rumik wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 14:38 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mastermind" by Tom Wheeler.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mason Thomas is a robotics expert at a company called Phoenix, but he isn't just your average robotics expert. Mason is a Christian prophet who has cryptic dreams that end up coming true. Mastermind by Tom Wheeler is the second book in The Last Messenger trilogy. The US is dealing with the aftermath of a nuclear attack in this book, but there is already more trouble right around the corner as foreign governments look to infiltrate the US government with androids. Yes, androids! Espionage and assassinations are commonplace in this riveting thriller that combines political and religious themes with science fiction.

I don't think any summary I can write will do this book's plot justice. There are a multitude of subplots, all beautifully coming together by the end with so many characters and conflicts. It is difficult to manage a story that spans so many nations, but the author intelligently brings everything together to form a conclusion that will leave you on the edge of your seat.

The book isn't just about androids assassinating people—it presents us with questions that may be too difficult to answer. How much of your freedom are you willing to sacrifice in order to be safe? Would you allow the government to implant biometric identification chips in you for the sake of preventing terrorism? How much of someone can you replace with robotic parts until they're a completely different person?

Mason is not the kind of hero that typically saves the day. He may be a prophet, but he's still just a regular person with no experience when it comes to espionage. Although he is a devout Christian now, he is not perfect, and the sins of his past eventually catch up with him. His visions are cryptic and difficult to understand, and there are moments where he finds himself wondering why his god allows so many bad things to happen. All these things serve to make him more human, allowing the author to write about religious themes without sounding like he's preaching to us.

Seeing as Mason is not involved in international espionage, the story is told through many other characters as well. Despite the many primary and secondary characters, no one feels underdeveloped or uninteresting. One of my favorites was Rihanna Zeva, a tough assassin on the run who has also recently converted to Christianity after encountering Mason in the first book.

There is nothing I really disliked about this book, except some editing issues I cannot overlook. Most of the actual writing errors are minor, except one obvious typo. The bigger issue lies in the formatting of the book; some pages are misnumbered, and I noticed a few instances where the font changed for no apparent stylistic reason. Sometimes, entire sentences or phrases are unnecessarily italicized, causing the emphasis to lose its effect.

I can easily give this book 3 out of 4 stars for its complex plot, interesting characters, and suspenseful writing. I would not hesitate to give it 4 out of 4 stars if the editing errors were corrected.

I suspect Christian readers will enjoy this book more as it contains heavy Christian themes, though I was able to enjoy it despite not being Christian. As for sexual content, the most that is directly shown is a couple beginning to kiss passionately as a prelude to what follows; characters also mention past sexual acts. This is the second book in a series, but past events are explained enough for it to be read by someone who hasn't read the first as well. I would recommend this brilliantly crafted tale to all fans of political thrillers.

Mastermind
View: on Bookshelves
A political thriller does sound a little complex. It is human to note that the robotics expert, Mason is not perfect and does have a sinful nature as everyone else. I am pleased, that despite the many errors, you did not dislike the book.
Where there is a will, there's got to be a way :D

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”