Official Review: Heaven's End by Roger Wilco

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Official Review: Heaven's End by Roger Wilco

Post by cpru68 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Heaven's End" by Roger Wilco.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Zombies, aliens, and bloodthirsty creatures named 'hunters' make up Roger Wilco's novel, Heaven's End. If a person were to inhabit the earth following the rapture according to this storyline, supernatural help would be of high necessity. Physical danger lurks around every corner as the main character, Judy, and her daughter, Amber, navigate a hostile environment. They are on a mission to save a family member who has been taken captive by the Nephilim, an alien race that has no regard for humanity. They view humans as prey, so time is of the essence to execute a rescue attempt.

The two women meet up with John, who seems to be a savior in disguise. He introduces them to technology and weapons that help keep trouble at bay. Having him and the gadgets available takes some of the pressure off and creates a bit of an advantage over the enemy, but their survival is not guaranteed.

I enjoyed the pace of the story. It begins right away with Judy and Amber on the run, attempting to avert death. It isn't clear why this is occurring, but the author includes slight hints by way of scenes and dialogues from a former time that has led up to what they are experiencing. His writing style keeps the reader moving forward to find out how it will all come together.

In the description, the author stated that this was his first book. Many times an inexperienced writer will cram in too much information and try to create a story that ends up getting out of hand. That is not the case here. The conciseness is refreshing with a plot that never lags with fillers, and the characters converse realistically.

While profanity is almost non-existent, the violent scenes are abundant. For those who have a strong distaste for gory killings and torture, you may want to bypass this one. It's the end of the world, and evil has taken over, so it's not a pretty scene.

There are references to Biblical passages and the rapture, so this may appeal most to Christians who can stomach graphic content. At the same time, the material doesn't overuse scripture, so readers who have an interest in science fiction may like it too. As far as an age range, I would recommend this to young adults and up as the most appropriate.

I found very few errors, so this seems to have been professionally edited. I am awarding this 4 out of 4 for all of its great qualities. There wasn't anything I disliked, and another positive attribute to mention is that a few pages of the next installment in the series follow the conclusion of this one.

Heaven's End
View: on Bookshelves
Everything happens for a reason...
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

This sounds like an interesting book! The title caught my eye immediately. I don't particularly like that there is a lot of violence but I would like to read this one to see the author's concept of what earth will be like after the rapture! Your review is excellent, thanks!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Miraphery »

For an author's first book, this sounds really interesting and well written. I would like to read this one. Thanks, I love your review.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Devine Enquiries by Martin Hull

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I always enjoy creative retellings of Biblical stories, but this novel is on a different level. One can only imagine what a post-rapture Earth would look like. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This isn't something that I would normally read, but your review twisted my arm! Thanks!
Laurina Michael Olowoniran
Currently Reading: Be the Change: The Future is in Your Hands
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Laurina Michael Olowoniran »

The time after rapture is a period I don't think anyone wants to witness. The story seems like it's going to be interesting. Beautiful review.
adamgreenrock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamgreenrock.html
Latest Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Post by adamgreenrock »

The author's first book that hit the home run? Now that intrigues me. I do love some mature supernatural stories so I might give this a read. Thanks for your review!
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

Great review! It seems like a very interesting book. I'll surely try to get my hands on it. Hopefully it will keep up with my expectations
BR 28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BR 28 »

It's a good book, the idea of technology and weapons is great.
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

B Creech wrote: 07 Apr 2020, 03:21 This sounds like an interesting book! The title caught my eye immediately. I don't particularly like that there is a lot of violence but I would like to read this one to see the author's concept of what earth will be like after the rapture! Your review is excellent, thanks!
If you have watched Star Wars, the violence in those is similar to what is in this. Sometimes, I think when I read it vs see it quick on a screen it seems more horrific. But, the plot of the book was a good one. I appreciate you reading my review! 😊
Everything happens for a reason...
Kgoth

Post by Kgoth »

It sounds like a good book, I honestly would love to read it, because in the review they described it as some kind of a horror and fictional type of a story (honestly that's what intrigued my interest).
Takudzwa Chiungwe

Post by Takudzwa Chiungwe »

after reading , I fall in love with it. I would like to read this book because in the review I lent that this book contains some elements from the Bible
and also they is a little bit of science.
Openopen

Post by Openopen »

It’s sounds like an interesting book
Ashgbrown
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashgbrown »

Heavens end amazing title really a eye catcher but once I got past the second paragraph I lost interest it was shocking considering this is the kind of book I would normally go for .
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: The Ripsons
Bookshelf Size: 416
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by NetMassimo »

This mix of elements seems uneven, but it looks like the author managed to blend them well to obtain an interesting result. Thank you for your informative review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”