Official Review: Lunar 3097 by Gary Timbrell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Official Review: Lunar 3097 by Gary Timbrell

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lunar 3097" by Gary Timbrell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The first book in the A1 Chronicles, Lunar 3097 by Gary Timbrell, is a sci-fi novel that takes readers on a journey across space where light-speed travel is at the grasp of mankind and artificial intelligence is a step past its normal limits.

For the past seven years, Abbey Skyler has been part of a mission to locate new forms of energy on a moon called Lunar 3097. However, even with the help of RAIDA2, a robot with artificial intelligence, they are unable to find anything of value. As the International Space Agency (ISA) decides to abandon the mission, Abbey’s disappointment leads to anger when she finds out that RAIDA2 would be shut down and left on Lunar 3097. As she works behind the back of the ISA to save RAIDA2, she unintentionally unleashes something that could be the end to all mankind.

From the first few pages of the book, the suspense building up during each scene kept me intrigued throughout the book. The description of the setting and characters were detailed and easy to visualize, especially since the space terminology and worldbuilding helped make Abbey’s world credible and believable. What I liked most about this book was the characters because they were well-developed and relatable. The ending ended in a cliffhanger as well as a surprising twist that makes me excited for the next novel.

I like how the author made sure to introduce each scene by placing a subheading before the paragraphs. However, there were a couple of instances where I had to reread a couple of sentences because the scene changed quickly, and there wasn’t a subheading or line spacing to denote this change. So for example, it went from RAIDA2’s point of view at the Lunar orbit then changed quickly to a scene at the ISA headquarters without any hints of a scene change. This was a bit confusing at first, but I only noticed it at the beginning of the book.

Overall, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I gave it 4 stars because the scenes were action-packed and the characters were dynamic and vibrant. There were a couple of grammatical errors, but they did not detract from the book. Also, there were no curse words or erotic and graphic scenes. I would recommend the book to readers who like science fiction novels, especially those filled with space travel and exploring unknown worlds.

Lunar 3097
View: on Bookshelves
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Intelligent machines, dynamic characters, action packed scenes - say no more. I can see myself getting lost in a book like this. Great review. Thank you for the recommendation.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

Look like very interesting reading. Thank you for great review.
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Miraphery »

An action-packed sci-fi, I'm already interested. Nice review
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

Sounds like a Sci-fi meets thriller-intrigue novel. What a great combo! Thanks for an interesting review. I'll check it out.
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
richardwille1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-richardwille1.html
Latest Review: Grit & Granite by Katherine Lee Johnson

Post by richardwille1 »

This book looks amazing! I definitely need to check this one out because I am a science geek. I’ve watched Interstellar a thousand times and this sounds even more suspenseful. Great review and I hope to pick up this series and read it.
Dannyphery
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dannyphery.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Dannyphery »

Sounds like an interesting read.
Thanks for the nice review
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Ripsons
Bookshelf Size: 416
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by NetMassimo »

Space travel and artificial intelligence are themes I like, and this novel seems to make a good use to them for an intriguing plot. Thank you for your informative review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

Sounds quite interesting. I wonder if the random scene changes are bad enough to become a deal-breaker for me. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”