Official Review: Rituals by Ryan Hastings: Storm and Serp...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Official Review: Rituals by Ryan Hastings: Storm and Serp...

Post by Poppy Drear »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rituals by Ryan Hastings: Storm and Serpent" by Ryan Hastings.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The world of Rituals: Storm and Serpent by Ryan Hastings is a diverse one, with angels, demons, celestial beings, cat people, trolls, and more all vying for dominance in a fantasy realm. In this complex setting, though, a tried-and-true conflict plays out: a good vs. evil showdown on the scale of several continents. A grand fantasy epic like this can easily spiral out of control if not treated carefully. Unfortunately, this book doesn't quite avoid that fatal flaw.

For one thing, there's a multitude of magical powersets, including wrathsingers, bloodlions, voidkeepers, summoners, necromancers, cogs, and more. Most of them aren't really fleshed out or explored, partly due to the sheer volume of characters readers are expected to keep up with, and I often found myself needing to take notes to keep track of all of them. Individually, every character and powerset has interesting elements, but I found myself wishing the narrative would just focus on a single scene long enough to develop them a bit more.

By far, the book's most crucial problem is that it tries to show readers what's happening at any given time to far too many characters at once. To make matters worse, there aren't paragraph breaks every time a new character speaks, making it even harder to keep track of what's going on. The narrator doesn't really help, here, either - he's an omniscient storyteller who keeps inserting personal commentary that just detracts from the experience. It's hard to be invested in a grand battle when the narrative butts in with "Glorious!" or "Hahaha!" every few pages.

With all that said, I think this book is still really impressive on a few counts. While the circumstances leading up to each battle were hard to follow, each battle individually was vibrant and creative, making good use of varied fighting styles on both sides. I also loved some of the characters' concepts, though I wasn't able to empathize with them as much as I would've liked; the angel who chose to live among mortals and the thunder troll thrust into a leadership position were both particularly interesting to me.

Ultimately, this book feels like eight or nine very interesting stories all packed together, giving each other no room to breathe. It's very creative, but there's so much going on that the overall experience is just overwhelming. I rate it 2 out of 4 stars, and I'd tentatively recommend it to fantasy fans who like the genre more for the outlandish magic and epic battles than the stories and characters. It's also worth mentioning that the book has quite a few grammatical errors.

Rituals by Ryan Hastings: Storm and Serpent
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
CnderAngel
Favorite Author: Janet McNulty
Favorite Book: The Different Kinds Of Monsters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cnderangel.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
fav_author_id: 15021

Post by CnderAngel »

Great review! Thanks for sharing, I wanted to read this book and I might reconsider. That's unfortunate that the author of the book did not break the paragraphs though, that I already dealt with before and don't wish to do it again. The book sounds interesting to read, it's a shame that there is issues with it. :c Anyway keep up the good work. ^-^
Cartoonist artist and animator, game designer, comic creator and most of all a writer.
If you are interested in my work, feel free to PM me. c: :tiphat:
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Miraphery »

This book has an interesting plot. It's a shame there are some issues with it. However, it has the potentials of a good book if worked on.
Dannyphery
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dannyphery.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Dannyphery »

Wow... I think this book really does have a great plot. Would have been a great book if not for the issues with it.
Thanks for the honest review
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Ripsons
Bookshelf Size: 416
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems a case of a novel with a great potential in need of an editor to help the author in its development. Readability is an issue, and probably splitting the text in paragraphs where needed would help. Thank you for your informative review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Harty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty.html
Latest Review: Big Bunches At The Jam Factory by Keith.paulusse

Post by Harty »

I'm just curious about the fantasy genre but it seems the book's storyline is a bit underdeveloped as the reviewer has pointed out. Thanks for the enjoyable review.
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

NetMassimo wrote: 10 Apr 2020, 09:55 This seems a case of a novel with a great potential in need of an editor to help the author in its development. Readability is an issue, and probably splitting the text in paragraphs where needed would help. Thank you for your informative review!
That's a common issue with overly complex stories. Often times, when there are a lot of characters and plots, it is easy to lose track of them. Characters and their background need to be introduced slowly, in harmonic ways that help to build the story instead of making it seem that the author is throwing information at us just for the sake of it, without purpose whatsoever. That requires quite a bit of skill, and a good edition. I agree here. Perhaps another round of edition that makes the text easier-to-read in general, could help to make it clear and more enjoyable.
Nafreezy
Currently Reading: HBR Guide to Project Management
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nafreezy.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nafreezy »

It makes me curious for more details on its character storylines.
Thank you for the honest review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”