Official Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Homecoming" by Jude Austin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Project Tau, Kalin Taylor, a college student, tried to sneak into GenTech in order to pledge a fraternity. Unfortunately, he was captured and experimented on, being made to believe that he was a clone like his roommate, Project Tau. In the sequel, Homecoming, Tau and Kata have finally broken free of GenTech. But, GenTech has far reaching arms and will stop at nothing to get those two back. They must find a way to avoid capture, but everyone wants to take advantage of Kata's modifications. Will Kata and Tau ever truly be safe?

Homecoming by Jude Austin is a tremendously exciting science fiction. There is adult language and violence, but there's never anything gratuitous or written just for the shock factor. Still, older teenagers to adults would be the recommended audience. This is also not one that you'll want to read without having read the first in the series. Nevertheless, I have no doubt you'll want to read both books.

The first word that comes to mind in regards to the book is wow. Ms. Austin has quite the imagination and has built a world that's unique and vivid. There are new planets and new creatures aplenty, enough to satisfy all tastes. The descriptions allow the reader to feel like he or she is part of the story. The comparisons she makes are like nothing I've ever read. For example, when talking about one of the languages, the character says it's like "Gollum with hiccups." Another language is described similarly. It "sounded like a cat that couldn't make up its mind if it wanted to hiss, purr, or hawk up a hairball."

As for the characters, they were extremely realistic. I felt their sorrow, pain, and joy. I loved with them and hated with them. The author made me invested in their outcome in a way that only the best of writers can do. Kata is the main protagonist, but the secondary characters are just as well-written, making the whole cast come to life.

I also appreciated that Ms. Austin brought out themes relevant for our world today. Perhaps we haven't quite been able to clone humans, but the concept of human rights is seen throughout. What constitutes a human? And it doesn't end there. Abuse, family, and even eating disorders come to light. Once again, it takes talent to have a story so full of action and adventure that makes you think too.

Furthermore, the author uses humor to make what could otherwise be too somber more palatable. Just when the tension reaches an all time high, Kata or Tau says something that makes you bust out laughing. The balance the author achieves between levity and seriousness, between action and drama is perfection.

Like the first book, this one is very well edited. In the entirety of the four hundred page book, I found three errors. Therefore, I rate Homecoming 4 out of 4 stars. This is one of those books where you rush to get to the end but then you're sad that it's over. You become friends with Kata and Tau, and you don't want to see anything happen to them. This is a series I could see myself reading over and over again. I know not everyone enjoys science fiction, but this series would appeal to those that don't normally read it. If you liked action-packed books that add levity to lighten the tone and give you something to think about, I encourage you to pick this up.

Homecoming
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 439
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

I thought Project Tau was an awesome book and with this, the sequel, knowing that science fiction isn't my favourite genre I'd love to delve into this one too.
Thanks for the review!
JoyALB
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyalb.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by JoyALB »

I am yet to read the first book, but I have heard only great things about it. It sounds like this one is just as great. I am looking forward to reading both. Awesome review!
Shri27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rasiga-shri.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Shri27 »

Great review. :clap: :clap: It sounds like an interesting book. I didn't read the book one so, I'm going to give that one a try and also going to read this book after completing the first one.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Ripsons
Bookshelf Size: 416
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by NetMassimo »

I confess I haven't read Project Tau yet, but it seems interesting. From what you write, this sequel seems intriguing as well continuing the story of great characters. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

After reading Project Tau, I couldn't wait to read the sequel. I agree with your comments about this book. The author writes in an engaging way, and I wanted to keep reading to find out what would happen next. The quote about different languages was one of those "laugh-out-loud" moments! Great review! I am looking forward to book three!!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

JoyALB wrote: 16 Apr 2020, 07:18 I am yet to read the first book, but I have heard only great things about it. It sounds like this one is just as great. I am looking forward to reading both. Awesome review!
I highly recommend both! They are just fabulous. I can't say too much good about them. I hope you get a chance to read them.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Rasiga_shri wrote: 16 Apr 2020, 09:25 Great review. :clap: :clap: It sounds like an interesting book. I didn't read the book one so, I'm going to give that one a try and also going to read this book after completing the first one.
You must read these stories. They were so good. This book was almost better than the first one! That's highly unusual.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

NetMassimo wrote: 16 Apr 2020, 10:26 I confess I haven't read Project Tau yet, but it seems interesting. From what you write, this sequel seems intriguing as well continuing the story of great characters. Thank you for your great review!
It's amazing! I can't recommend these books too much. I hope you can take the time to read them both.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

kdstrack wrote: 16 Apr 2020, 16:49 After reading Project Tau, I couldn't wait to read the sequel. I agree with your comments about this book. The author writes in an engaging way, and I wanted to keep reading to find out what would happen next. The quote about different languages was one of those "laugh-out-loud" moments! Great review! I am looking forward to book three!!
So, you read this one as well?? It's fascinating. I just absolutely loved it! I couldn't put it down.
—Neil Gaiman
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

I just finished reading Project Tau and I can't wait to read the sequel. The review is very well written and I can't wait to read the homecoming.
Erandi Ekanayake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erandi-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Erandi Ekanayake »

Thanks for the great review. It made me curious to read the book and hope to give this one a try soon :reading-2:
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

Wow! This sounds like a fantastic story. I haven't read the first book yet, but after reading your review, it makes me want to read both of them. Well-done!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

DEEPA PUJARI wrote: 16 Apr 2020, 21:03 I just finished reading Project Tau and I can't wait to read the sequel. The review is very well written and I can't wait to read the homecoming.
You must read it. In my opinion, it's even better! Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Erandi Ekanayake wrote: 17 Apr 2020, 05:20 Thanks for the great review. It made me curious to read the book and hope to give this one a try soon :reading-2:
You must! I highly recommend reading both of these books!
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”