Official Review: Garnet Hangman by Henry G. Taygar

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Official Review: Garnet Hangman by Henry G. Taygar

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Garnet Hangman" by Henry G. Taygar.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Columbus has become a hotbed of criminal activity with gangs creating a state of constant unrest. What's worse is the police are only doing the bare minimum to protect the residents of the city. Amid this tension, new Alpha, Theo Hertz decides to use his newfound abilities to play the unofficial role of hero. He begins to move around the city, stomping out crime wherever it is happening. His heroic exploits see him come up against an elusive terrorist network known as Bratva, and then against something a lot bigger and much more sinister and otherworldly.

As Theo begins to realize the enormity of the task ahead of him, he teams up with his roommate, Sam; a Navy SEAL and Delta Force trained and trigger-happy fighter, Jesi; and a ferocious and sword-wielding fallen angel from his past, Ezekiel. Together, they embark on a journey to uncover the mastermind behind Columbus's growing crime and the reason behind it. But as they inch closer to the source of the problem, they realize that they may be in over their heads and that the mastermind is more dangerous than anything anyone has ever faced.

Garnet Hangman by Henry G. Taygar is a sci-fi fantasy book and is the fourth in the Alphas Book series. It may sound a little cliché, but I was engrossed in this book from the first chapter. The author's writing style was upbeat and surprisingly concise, even though there were a lot of events that took place in this story. It takes great skill to be able to write a book that is part of a series and yet, can read as a stand-alone novel. While there were references to events that happened in the books before this one, Garnet Hangman was still very much its own story. I never found myself in a situation where I needed to refer to any of the previous books to comprehend what was happening in this one.

I loved the character development in this book. The author made sure to draw connections from events in the previous books to help the reader deeply understand the different characters. It also helped to show where each of them was in their respective journeys. I could easily tell each character apart. Theo was a very human guy who was running from his past while trying to do some good in the world, even though sometimes it seemed he didn't know how to do either. Sam was a down-to-earth good guy who believed that bad guys deserved a second chance instead of jail time. Jesi was a badass fighter who always went everywhere with her weapons and welcomed any opportunity to get into a fight. The fallen angel, Ezekiel, recently free of his soul's corruption, was a fierce warrior seeking a way to redeem himself.

I like that Sam's undaunting hope for people rubbed off on Theo as seen in his relationship with Big Marc and his gang family. There was also some mild romance to savor from Theo and Jesi's relationship, but there was no erotic content throughout the book. I didn't find anything about this book that I hated. The writing was sufficiently descriptive without being wordy. The format was also beautiful. I especially loved the light humor the author incorporated throughout the story and in the chapter titles as well.

In terms of grammar and typographical errors, I did find a few issues. Most of them were cases of pronoun misuse, but otherwise, the book's editing was pristine. I gladly rate this book a solid 4 out of 4 stars. The editing issues were very few, and considering that Garnet Hangman is over 400 pages in length (I read the EPUB format), I didn't find the errors sufficient to rate this book any less. I would recommend this book to people who love a good sci-fi and fantasy story with a very human element and feel.

Garnet Hangman
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

I really enjoyed your clear-sighted analysis of this book. It sounds like an interesting read. I think I'm going to pass, however, as it's not my preferred genre. Thanks for a great review!
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Ripsons
Bookshelf Size: 416
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems a superheroes story that have roots in a scenario that recalls a realistic threat with the terrorist plot. The terrific character development makes me want to look into the whole series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Laura Lee wrote: 17 Apr 2020, 00:38 I really enjoyed your clear-sighted analysis of this book. It sounds like an interesting read. I think I'm going to pass, however, as it's not my preferred genre. Thanks for a great review!
Yes, it's not my preferred genre either, however, I decided to give it a try and I wasn't disappointed in the least. Thanks for commenting.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:

NetMassimo wrote: 17 Apr 2020, 06:45 This seems a superheroes story that have roots in a scenario that recalls a realistic threat with the terrorist plot. The terrific character development makes me want to look into the whole series. Thank you for your great review!
Yes, I had the the same feeling about the story. And I'm a sucker for good character development, so I really enjoyed it. Thanks for your comment.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

"It takes great skill to be able to write a book that is part of a series and yet, can read as a stand-alone novel."
I completely agree and appreciate when an author pulls this off. Thanks for the thorough review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:

SamSim wrote: 18 Apr 2020, 16:01
"It takes great skill to be able to write a book that is part of a series and yet, can read as a stand-alone novel."
I completely agree and appreciate when an author pulls this off. Thanks for the thorough review!
I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for commenting.
Amberlily
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberlily.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Amberlily »

Characters can make or break a book! Good character development is nearly a guarantee to keep someone reading. I love seeing people grow, even if they're fictional.
Nath_chuks
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nath-chuks.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Nath_chuks »

Seems the book is more of a supernatural and human setting from your review. I really enjoyed the review. I guess I would give the book a try.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:

Amberlily wrote: 19 Apr 2020, 09:33 Characters can make or break a book! Good character development is nearly a guarantee to keep someone reading. I love seeing people grow, even if they're fictional.
My sentiments exactly, Amberlily. Thanks for commenting!
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:

Nath_chuks wrote: 23 Apr 2020, 04:58 Seems the book is more of a supernatural and human setting from your review. I really enjoyed the review. I guess I would give the book a try.
I have no doubt you would enjoy it. Thanks for sharing!
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

Character-driven stories are my favorite thing. Your review was very informative and made me want to read the book. Thank you!
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:

damis wrote: 26 Apr 2020, 01:35 Character-driven stories are my favorite thing. Your review was very informative and made me want to read the book. Thank you!
Yes, me too. Thanks for commenting.
Froelich07
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Froelich07 »

I love movies alot and this book seems movie related and based on your amazing review, I love it already.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:

Froelich07 wrote: 28 Apr 2020, 09:56 I love movies alot and this book seems movie related and based on your amazing review, I love it already.
I agree. The story sounds like it could be adapted for the big screen. Thanks for commenting!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”