Official Review: The Void Revealed by Stephen J. Ethier

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Official Review: The Void Revealed by Stephen J. Ethier

Post by kislany »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Void Revealed" by Stephen J. Ethier.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Void Revealed, the first book in the Origo Essentia epic fantasy series written by Stephen J. Ethier, has at its center a split world. Windhold is sitting atop of the Spire, and the Void, the world below, has been abandoned by those above after a cataclysm wiped out most of it. Since then, the Brotherhood of the Silent Flame, the leading force in Windhold, has done everything in its power to erase the Void from anyone’s memory; everything that told its original history has been destroyed.

Now the people living in Windhold only know the myths surrounding the Void, and even those rumors are told in hushed voices. When Elise, an Aspirant who is destined to replace the Sentinel, enters the Void, she discovers that things are not quite as they seem. But what secrets is the Void hiding, and can Elise and her friend, Brand, learn the truth before it’s too late?

The premise of the book was one that pulled me in right away. I am a big epic fantasy lover, and The Void Revealed reminded me of Brandon Sanderson’s Mistborn trilogy with its strong world-building. The contrast between Windhold and the world below in the basin area is stark; you get a real sense that once you leave Windhold and enter the Void, you are really somewhere else. It is a mysterious place that holds a lot of danger.

While a lot is happening in the story, it is heavily character-driven, which I enjoy in high fantasy novels. Elise, Brand, his intelligent bird Kree, and the rest of the team are real people with feelings, goals, and ideals. All gestures, actions, and decisions are meaningful, and they all lead to increasing the anticipation of what comes next. Although the book has close to 500 pages, there is no fluff included.

The love story is elegantly done, and it has its natural place in the tale without overshadowing other aspects. There are no gratuitous scenes, and everything that happens is dynamically interwoven with the plot. As usual with epic fantasy stories, intrigue and political machinations are present, although once the action gets going, the adventure takes the front seat and doesn’t let go until the end.

There is an additional aspect of the book I was drawn to: the book cover, which was created by the author himself. The cover art is on point, and it reveals enough about the two worlds to make you curious without giving you any spoilers. It has nice visuals with a refreshing image that strongly contrasts with the usual stock photos many book covers are using.

The Void Revealed is a must-read for any epic fantasy fan, so I give it 4 out of 4 stars. The grammatical errors are minor in scope, mostly dealing with punctuation issues. If you enjoy reading books by Brandon Sanderson, J. R. R. Tolkien, Robert Jordan, and Patrick Rothfuss, you will also find this novel to your liking. My only complaint is that despite the almost 500 pages, the story ended too soon.

The Void Revealed
View: on Bookshelves
Rachel_Emmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: Leadership by Craig B. Whelden

Post by Rachel_Emmanuel »

This book looks really promising. Can't wait to read it as well. The mysterious void and what exactly happened piqued my interest. I can't help myself. I want to find out what those children would discover.
#RecordBreaker
hasincla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hasincla.html
Latest Review: Fortune Cats with Full Tummies by Dave Hutchinson

Post by hasincla »

Woah, very intriguing! I, too, am a fan of epic fantasy's and your review makes it sound like this book is just what I like. Adding to my to-read list. Thanks for your review!
Kachi_Ejiogu+_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kachi-ejiogu.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kachi_Ejiogu+_ »

It is quite commendable that the author found a way to keep the reader engaged all throughout. Fantasy novels are surely enjoyed when its character driven and with this review, I think the author did justice to that. Apt review!
FEislandqueen13
Currently Reading: The 19th Bladesman
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feislandqueen13.html
Latest Review: Doomsday by R. L. Gemmill

Post by FEislandqueen13 »

:o Well I'm an epic fantasy fan and will add this to my reading list! For me, before even reading the summary, it's the cover art that draws me to a book and it was certainly the amazing cover that brought me here!
Thanks for the great review. :tiphat:
Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
:eusa-think: :eusa-think: :eusa-think:
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss
Arun Bohra
Currently Reading: Paddle to Paddle
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arun-bohra.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Arun Bohra »

Thanks for the review. I am going to place the fantasy book on my reading list.
NatRose
Currently Reading: The Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natrose.html
Latest Review: Who Was That Masked Kid by Dan Neiser

Post by NatRose »

I'm also an epic fantasy fan, and a book reminding you of Sanderson is great praise. It's character driven and contains a not-overpowering romance? Sounds almost perfect. I'll definitely be adding this one to my TBR. Thanks for the wonderful review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Ripsons
Bookshelf Size: 416
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by NetMassimo »

I'm not a huge fantasy fan, but this novel seems really engaging and the comparisons with other writers are remarkable. I'll look into this series, though I think I'll wait for at least another sequel to be published. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Northernbird84
Currently Reading: The Crossing
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-northernbird84.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by Northernbird84 »

Oh wow this sounds great! Added this to my want to read list. Thanks for the great review xx
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

This is look like a great epic fantasy book. Thank you for amazing review.
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

I'm not big on epic-fantasy, but this has my attention. I will read it.
Froelich07
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Froelich07 »

The book has this kind of mystery flair to it which makes it a book I'll definitely want to read. Thanks for the excellent review.
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: 7 Ways To Manage Pain With CBD by David Anthony Schroeder

Post by JKO »

This concise review paints this book in a very good light. This is also enhanced by your last statement in the review. I think I'll read this one. I hope I enjoy it as much as you did. Thanks for the review.
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

I am a great fan of fantasy and character-driven stories. This might be the perfect book for me. Lovely review! I really enjoyed to read it.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”