Official Review: Of Sound Mind and Someone Else's Body

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Official Review: Of Sound Mind and Someone Else's Body

Post by ALynnPowers »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Of Sound Mind and Someone Else's Body" by William Quincy Belle.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Of Sound Mind and Someone Else's Body is a quick, humorous novel by William Quincy Belle. Right from the start, I found myself following along with one hilarious situation after another, and this fast-paced book certainly held my attention all the way through. I read this book within a single day; I just couldn't put it down.

After participating in a neurological research study, businessman Alan Maitland suddenly finds himself in the body of a woman – a high-class prostitute, no less, right in the middle of a job. The woman, Hana Toussaint, has ended up inside his body, but she seems to be adjusting to life as a man much more easily than Alan is adjusting to life as a woman. Dealing with cat-callers and walking in high heels are problematic enough, but there is no way that Alan can just keep living like a woman, much less a prostitute. Over the next 48 hours, they are off on a wild adventure to try and switch their minds back to their proper bodies while also trying to maintain the appearance of normalcy.

This book would make a hilarious movie: Freaky Friday meets Pretty Woman. Most of these comedic moments tend to be a bit crude or sexual in nature, but that is to be expected in a book about a high-class sex worker. Also, Alan's experiences in general with dealing with the subtle (and sometimes not-so-subtle) sexism that women still encounter in modern society allowed for some chuckles as well. As a woman, I could only smirk and laugh, as these moments were totally relatable on a day-to-day basis.

It's not all comedy and silliness, however. I'd be inclined to classify this book as science fiction before I'd call it a comedy, and the science, as crazy as this sounds, actually sound believable. Additionally, there are multiple instances of philosophical discussions and social commentary. These discussions are quite liberal in nature, so I could imagine that someone with more traditional views on life would feel a bit uncomfortable with these parts. Although I agreed with about 90% of these views, I thought that they came across as a little bit preachy at times. This was really the only thing that I didn't like about the book.

In the end, I have to give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the story way too much to let the opinions of a strong-minded character influence my overall feelings about the book. The fact that I couldn't put it down should have been proof enough that it is an excellent book. On top of that, it is well-written and has been professionally edited without a single error to be found. There are lots of sexual themes and swearing, so this book wouldn't be appropriate for a younger audience. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys comedy, science fiction, and romance.

Of Sound Mind and Someone Else's Body
View: on Bookshelves
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

Oh my goodness. Hahaha. How will he cope in a woman's body? A call girl for that matter? Both characters are thrown into different worlds. Reminds me if a movie I watched sometime ago.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

It must be an incredibly funny book. Thanks for the wonderful review!
hasincla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hasincla.html
Latest Review: Fortune Cats with Full Tummies by Dave Hutchinson

Post by hasincla »

OMG this sounds like a fun read! Adding to my to-read list. Thank you for your review!
Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Splendour0606 »

Amazing! This book would be hilarious;I giggled when I read he had problems walking on heels; seriously,why wouldn't he?he is a male in a female body.Great review.
Kachi_Ejiogu+_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kachi-ejiogu.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kachi_Ejiogu+_ »

When an author engages the mind of the reader throughout the book to the extent that he/she relates more even as the book proceeds, then one can say its an interesting read. Excellent review!
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 439
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

Interesting! This reminds me of the movies; The hot chicks and Freaky Friday. I would really love this book. The book title got me thinking "What could this be about" and reading this, answers the question. Awesome review! Thanks.
Dannyphery
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dannyphery.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Dannyphery »

Quite impressive...
I love how the author was able to engage her readers.
Sounds like an intriguing piece...
Nice review.
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: 7 Ways To Manage Pain With CBD by David Anthony Schroeder

Post by JKO »

Any book that gives me a good laugh is one I want to read. This book does just that, as reflected in this excellent review.
Ediomis_Enwongo01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ediomis-enwongo01.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Ediomis_Enwongo01 »

Being a transgender is becoming a trend and of global concern. What a comical piece to have a fun-filled reading. Great job
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Ripsons
Bookshelf Size: 416
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by NetMassimo »

Body swap is a classic science fiction trope that can offer humorous developments, in this case I see that humor is widely used to develop serious topics, which makes the novel interesting. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Froelich07
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Froelich07 »

I'm a huge fan of the major genre of this book which is comedy which makes it a must read for me. It's really hilarious and freaky to find your self in another's body not to even talk of that of the opposite sex hahaha.
Thanks for the great review.
Dammy_co
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dammy_co »

Must be an amazing book,definitely reading it soon.
tsgreen2011
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tsgreen2011 »

Sounds like just the laugh needed to relax from my day. Adding to my bookshelf as my first book.
Nafreezy
Currently Reading: HBR Guide to Project Management
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nafreezy.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nafreezy »

That sounds like a read full of laughs. Can't wait to get my hands on the book! Glad that Alan gets to learn firsthand what harassment looks like for a woman.
Thanks for a riveting review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”