Official Review: Genex of Halcyon by Joshua Stelling

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Genex of Halcyon by Joshua Stelling

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Genex of Halcyon" by Joshua Stelling.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Genex of Halcyon, by Joshua Stelling, is a futuristic sci-fi novel. Set in the not-too-distant future, the world is a completely different place. Halcyon is a free city where a great renaissance is occuring. In Halcyon, money does not exist, some humans have wings, robots are almost all knowing, and the must-watch sport involves lasers. However, some aspects of life have not changed at all. Harmony is deeply in love with her boyfriend, Orion, but she is still haunted by a past love. As Harmony’s story unfolds over the course of three days at the end of the year 2051, a love triangle could change the futures of many.

Setting the scene is Stelling’s forte: the novel begins as if the reader is familiar with the futuristic world inhabited by the characters, and small details about the ins and outs of the world are provided organically within the narrative. The author never veers toward long descriptions or information-packed paragraphs about the nuances of the world. Instead, Halcyon is brought to life through lyrical prose and brief details. The author’s approach to worldbuilding created an immersive and life-like universe for readers to relish, leaving one aching to read more about the tragically beautiful city at the forefront of this novel.

Similarly, Stelling's writing is bursting with literary devices that will leave one pondering the novel after reading its final pages. The use of metaphors and themes, though up for interpretation, were beautifully executed. For example, a constant motif of rain adds layers of texture to the moody narrative, while also posing questions about the state of the Earth in the future. Moreover, the novel does not shy away from difficult themes that hold strong relevance to today’s society. Despite being set in the future, Genex of Halcyon poses questions about drug use, mental illness, belonging, and societal structures.

As much as there is to love about this novel, there is still room for improvement. Although the ethereal prose amps up the melancholy tone of the narrative and adds a brooding sense of urgency, the writing failed to inject enough depth into the overall story. There are many wonderful characters in this book, but the fleeting prose failed to create fully developed personas. Similarly, once the poetry and worldbuilding are stripped away, the plot is flimsy and questionable. This novel is a very pretty collection of strong threads that, unfortunately, do not ever come together to create a fully formed idea. Additional attention to plotting and character development would have brought this novel into a league of its own.

Sci-fi is a genre I have long shied away from due to a general lack of originality in the novels I've seen advertised. Genex of Halcyon is a far cry from the genre’s standard. The delicate writing, inventive worldbuilding, and tender moodiness had me so excited to dive into Stelling’s world. Regrettably, the novel did not live up to its vast potential, and I was left feeling underwhelmed at the end. However, there is so much quality and potential in this work that I had to rate the novel 3 out of 4 stars. Moreover, the novel is perfectly edited. I would venture into the world of Halcyon again, but I’d hope for a deeper plot and fuller characters. Readers who enjoy inventive science fiction and are interested in a book with literary characteristics are sure to enjoy this novel. Readers should be aware the novel contains adult content and drug use.

Genex of Halcyon
View: on Bookshelves
Kachi_Ejiogu+_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kachi-ejiogu.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kachi_Ejiogu+_ »

Sounds to me like an interesting read. Albeit, the fluctuations with character development and plotting should be looked into. Thank you for an honest, yet apt review.
hasincla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hasincla.html
Latest Review: Fortune Cats with Full Tummies by Dave Hutchinson

Post by hasincla »

I like the world-building, but I do prefer strong characters (and a great plot) so I'll pass on this one. Thank you for your honest review about the author's writing!
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

The characters in this book don't seem developed. I'm not a fan of sci-fi anyway. Thanks for a thorough review.
FEislandqueen13
Currently Reading: The 19th Bladesman
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feislandqueen13.html
Latest Review: Doomsday by R. L. Gemmill

Post by FEislandqueen13 »

I'm torn , should I read this book or not ? The sci fi genre is my second love but I love well developed characters who drive the story's plot.
Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
:eusa-think: :eusa-think: :eusa-think:
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

"Setting the scene is Stelling’s forte: the novel begins as if the reader is familiar with the futuristic world inhabited by the characters, and small details about the ins and outs of the world are provided organically within the narrative. The author never veers toward long descriptions or information-packed paragraphs about the nuances of the world. Instead, Halcyon is brought to life through lyrical prose and brief details. The author’s approach to worldbuilding created an immersive and life-like universe for readers to relish, leaving one aching to read more about the tragically beautiful city at the forefront of this novel."

This is a great and rare achievement for a sci-fi writer to weave futuristic details into his story accurately and softly.

Also, the plot seems very unusual for sci-fi. As I got it, this book isn't about the invasion of aliens or zombies, or something like that. It’s kind of like psychological prose in futuristic setting. It is very unusual and interesting.

Thanks for the great review!
Harty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty.html
Latest Review: Big Bunches At The Jam Factory by Keith.paulusse

Post by Harty »

Its good to read about romance in the not so distant future. Thanks for the review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Ripsons
Bookshelf Size: 416
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems a novel too focused on worldbuilding. I can't say if there's any room for a sequel, but writing more stories set in that future might offer the author the chance to focurs more on plots and characters. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

While I enjoy sci-fi, this plot doesn't particularly catch my attention. I loved reading your review though.
Nelson Lyric
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelson-lyric.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Nelson Lyric »

Inventive science coated with romance and action. I know i will enjoy this book, thanks for the review, it is quite a summary of what to expect in the book.
Gloria Tohabru
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gloria-tohabru.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Gloria Tohabru »

It would be wonderful to be in a world filled with so many Wonder technologies. Thanks for the review tho, it has helped me get a brief understanding of this book, and am going to check it out. Although books with characters that aren't developed seem to be hard to understand I hope it's worth the read.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”