Official Review: Seeds of Hope by Debbie Tremel

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Re: Official Review: Seeds of Hope by Debbie Tremel

Post by Jackie Holycross »

bb587 wrote: 09 May 2020, 09:46 I like the descriptions and character development throughout the story. Even with the end of the world as we know it, there is hope and love. I'm not sure I want to read the rape scenes though.
I totally understand your aversion to that content. Know that the scenes are short and not blow by blow.
Jackie Holycross

BunnySTx wrote: 09 May 2020, 15:01 I am an avid reader of science fiction and this book has piqued my interest, but I'm on the fence about it as I'm wondering just how much scifi element does it have overall? It doesn't sound like it has as much as I typically like but I'm willing to give it a chance and see where the author takes me. Thanks for the honest review.
I wouldn’t really say there was much science fiction. They were returning to more primitive survival skills and a simpler life. There was, however, a few aspects that I would call almost supernatural. In their efforts to live in balance with nature some of the characters experience the ability to communicate with non-human life. This like the other survival skills and the prophecies are based in real teachings the author researched.
Jackie Holycross

DavidOchieng wrote: 09 May 2020, 17:26 Yes indeed. It's not emotionally smart to read such a book during a pandemic, but it would depress the hell out of me anyway. The sample I read was really dark and this review suggests that the book is the same overall in spite of the title.
The book begins with tragedy but the theme is hope. This group of survivors is determined to create a new society where people respect and care for each other and the earth.
Maria Eirini Lamprou
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Currently Reading: Swann's Way
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-eirini-lamprou.html
Latest Review: Mirrored Worlds by Tayma Tameem
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Maria Eirini Lamprou »

This book sounds really interesting and I would definitely read it if the times were different. In the meantime I will keep it in my to-read list as reading such a book through a pandemic would be somewhat difficult for me. But thanks for such a great review! :techie-studyingbrown:
Khadezatul Kobra
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Khadezatul Kobra »

Really its a sad story for this pandemic situation but it can teach us about the effect of bad situation like this and make us think the way out of this curse.
Kenesha Latoya Fowler
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenesha-latoya-fowler.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kenesha Latoya Fowler »

I love your opening! Personally, I'm a little hesitant to get into a book like that at this time, but since it's about hope and survival during trying times.. Well, we'll see. I also like the points you commented on, such as the author's skill at description and great vocabulary. This was an amazing review. Well done!
"No one is ever satisfied where he is," said the switchman.
~from The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupéry~
GiselleBengochea
Currently Reading: Nathan Turner and the New World Order
Bookshelf Size: 1720
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gisellebengochea.html
Latest Review: Terror In Manila by Frank Q. Aurillo Jr

Post by GiselleBengochea »

:no-spoil: Seeds of Hope by Debbie Tremel portrays the end of civilization after a fungus has destroyed essential grain crops like rice and wheat worldwide. The resultant severe famine causes poverty and anarchy. Daniel, the central character, a recent college graduate, has had to bury his colleague and his father after a fatal avalanche.They had been trekking in the wilderness to reconnoiter with the rest of the family and other acquaintances who joined them to live in seclusion. These events were prophesied therefore Daniel and his family have been making preparations in terms of adapting to the outdoor environment and survival skills. One of the underlying messages or themes in this narration, like the scout motto, Be Prepared! Excellent review!
Stez16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stez16.html
Latest Review: Forgiven by Geoff Lawson

Post by Stez16 »

The accuracy of this book is quite intriguing. It brings to mind the philosophy of Thomas Hobbes on the state of nature. Going to read immediately.
Superwoman+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Superwoman+ »

Very interesting I’m eager to find out all what this book intel :eusa-think:
Sumansona1344
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumansona1344.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Sumansona1344 »

I am not sure if I would like to read this book during pandemic. I will surely keep it on a side and try reading this later on. The reason is that I am a sensitive reader and reading about these things make me feel awful. I cannot read about rape and degradation of society. I prefer the books which are light on these topics.
Thank you for a great review and warning signs! I am sure the author did a great job with the story.
anoushka_thakur
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anoushka-thakur.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by anoushka_thakur »

I loved your review and it puts me in a place where I would give it a read! Although I may start to overthink the current situation, that is unlikely.
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Slashed Jaguar
Currently Reading: Queen of Swords
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Slashed Jaguar »

Hello, your review was most helpful in the way that it encouraged me to try out reading this book especially since books like this haven't always been one of my main focuses.
:tiphat:
Irmelin
Favorite Author: Lee Child
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irmelin.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse
fav_author_id: 4411

Post by Irmelin »

Thank you for the fantastic review, this is my kind of a story. Especially during Pandemic - could be worth - so today's pandemic is not so bad in comparison! I am looking forward to reading this book.
Josep22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josep22.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Josep22 »

I've only watched movies discussing the end of world civilization topic, I think a book would be great too. Nice review.
Rukitejevbo02
Currently Reading: The Maid
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rukitejevbo02.html
Latest Review: Faults by Orion Gregory

Post by Rukitejevbo02 »

The "world pandemic" reminds me of the current one we are facing. I would love to read this book. However, I still have mixed feelings. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”