Official Review: The Psyman by Nick Bruechle

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Official Review: The Psyman by Nick Bruechle

Post by Jgideon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Psyman" by Nick Bruechle.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Does patience always yield the expected fruits? Gneiss, who taught his first class for over ten years, gave the best of his lessons to his favorite pair, Biz and Bock. He hoped to use them as tools of change to the world. He dreamt of a better future and did everything that he thought was good for the pair to yield such a future. What would Biz and Bock offer him in return?

The Psyman by Nick Bruechle is a well-knit novel that reflects on how people make decisions that impact their lives and that of others. Some experience a great awakening in the process of becoming good citizens while others only think of ways to control the lives of other people for their selfish gains. I loved the contrast that played between the selfless and the selfish. For instance, the great ruler of the world in this novel, Joe, driven by his cabinet uses the Interface to keep his subjects glued to their ‘cocoons’. Cocoons would be the equivalent of a hi-tech device that streams different videos and pieces of information with the intent of keeping the populace away from thinking independently. The three tools that are used in controlling them are freedom, fear, and fame. On the other hand, Gneiss came up with a plan that would help people gain their freedom, especially from the influence of the cocoons.

The characters in The Psyman, though many, are well developed. Characters, such as Nib, Globe, Necker, Bloat, Dirndl, Navel, Knead, Particle, and Mandril made me develop a clear understanding of the themes incorporated in the book. Some of the themes include, but not limited to, the effect of social media and technology on society, capitalism, dictatorship, the use of psychological manipulation and its effects, and misuse of power.

Although this turned out to be an enjoyable read, it took quite a while for the story to grab my attention. The first third of the book, where most of the characters were being introduced, was quite an uphill climb. The other two-thirds flowed really well. The suspense factor was well executed as I always looked forward to finding out more about what Biz was up to, especially with his ‘hidden’ interest on Particle. The end of the novel came as a surprise as the series of events took a different twist than what I would have looked forward to. I loved it the most.

I believe that this is a book for everyone, especially those who are imprisoned by social media and fame. I strongly recommend it to young readers who find it difficult to sculpt a life of their own outside the influence of social media. The novel does have several instances of profanity. Those who are easily offended by such should stay away from it.

The Psyman deserves a perfect score. Thus, I gladly give it 4 out of 4 stars. I did not give it a lower rating because the author did a very good job in world-building and character development. It was professionally edited.

The Psyman
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Savannah M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savannah-m.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Savannah M »

Wow, I have read some of Bruechle's books and with this great review I think I will read this book too. Thanks for the insight and detailed review.
FEislandqueen13
Currently Reading: The 19th Bladesman
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feislandqueen13.html
Latest Review: Doomsday by R. L. Gemmill

Post by FEislandqueen13 »

the setting of this story is appealing and so relatable to our world controlled by social media.
great rewiew! :tiphat:
Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
:eusa-think: :eusa-think: :eusa-think:
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss
Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Splendour0606 »

The book sounds interesting.I look forward to reading it.Thanks for your review.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I love sci-fi, especially if it has a 'different' flare from the mainstream. This one seems to fit that bill. It's an added extra that the author explores topics that are relevant to today's world as well (i.e., capitalism, the use of psychological manipulation, etc.). I think I'm going to enjoy this one. I'll just have to wade through the first third keeping firmly in mind that the following two-thirds are well worth the wait. Thanks for the honest review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Ripsons
Bookshelf Size: 416
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by NetMassimo »

A novel that addresses themes that are crucial in our society, so there's suspense and after the end there's also food for thought left, which makes the book even better. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

"Characters, such as Nib, Globe, Necker, Bloat, Dirndl, Navel, Knead, Particle, and Mandril made me develop a clear understanding of the themes incorporated in the book."

These characters have very strange names. How can anyone be called "Navel"?

Anyway, thanks for the good review.
NatRose
Currently Reading: The Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natrose.html
Latest Review: Who Was That Masked Kid by Dan Neiser

Post by NatRose »

Hmm, this sounds interesting. I do like books that give social commentary and make me think, but I also tend to avoid those with an "uphill climb" at the beginning.
Nath_chuks
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nath-chuks.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Nath_chuks »

Thanks for your review.
The book sounds interesting. I will add to my shelf
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

Looks like I'm going to find this one interesting. Thank you.
Ediomis_Enwongo01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ediomis-enwongo01.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Ediomis_Enwongo01 »

Believe it or not, this book is for everyone. The reason is simple. Everybody seems to be a fan of the social media consciously or unconsciously. Great review.
Arieldohinog
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Arieldohinog »

Thanks for the motivation.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”