Official Review: Crimson Justice by Frank DeCaire

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Crimson Justice by Frank DeCaire

Post by Cristina Chifane »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Crimson Justice" by Frank DeCaire.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Claire Unsworth, the administrator of Vanguard Spaceport on Mars, has just attended a conference with the topic “Bots in the Workplace.” People outside the conference building protest bots having the same rights as people. She hardly makes her way by them to catch her flight back home. Once she reaches her apartment, she realizes she had probably taken the wrong bag. Little does she know this bag will bring her one problem after another.

Foley McGregor is a cop who has been working in an undercover operation for about a year. Something must have blown up his cover because he is on the run and fears for his life. Being in a tight spot, he has no other option but to swap his luggage with that of a woman who has an identical bag. What will Claire make of the mysterious planner she finds in Foley’s bag? Will she and her old friend Ray get rid of the bad guys and solve the puzzle of the Digital Workers store addresses in the planner? Chased by dirty cops, hitmen, and powerful people, Claire and Ray find themselves in a countdown race for their lives.

Crimson Justice by Frank DeCaire is meant to be a sci-fi thriller with a detective plot. Unfortunately, it failed to come up to my expectations. Even if the air is unbreathable and the citizens have to live under a dome, life on Mars as described in the novel is much too similar to life on Earth. As a fan of science fiction, I was disappointed with the scarcity of details about life on a planet with a hostile environment. The detective investigation Claire and Ray get involved into is much more elaborate than the sci-fi elements, though. The plot has many twists and turns that are supposed to keep you tuned in. However, no matter the outcome of one situation or another, I was never truly taken by surprise. I always knew that the good guys will eventually win all confrontations.

On the plus side, the book reads quickly. The chapters are short and focus more on action rather than description. The novel had two main topics which I liked more than anything else about it. One topic refers to the controversies regarding the relationship between bots and humans. Since bots are robots looking exactly like humans, they could easily blend in and effortlessly replace people. The novel interestingly parallels a humanistic approach to bots with a materialistic one. If the former is based on the idea of equal rights for bots, the latter warns of the danger of reprogramming software and the use of bots for military, political, or financial purposes. The other major topic that I enjoyed tackles the issue of corruption and its knock-on effect on justice.

Even if Claire and Ray team up to get to the bottom of the planner problem, they are far from a perfect detective couple. There seems to be a lot of miscommunication between them; they settle for a plan only to break it soon afterwards. As for the bad guys, much of the time they are just that, “bad guys in grey suits.” I had a surreal feeling of being teleported in Men in Black. In many cases, the protagonists were running from bad guys dressed in grey suits. Sometimes, even the dialogues fell flat and unrealistic: “Security has the situation under control. The bad guy surrendered without a fight.” (p. 55) I also found the providential coincidences in the novel rather far-fetched. For example, Claire witnesses men in suits with machine guns entering her hotel, but she chooses to have lunch just across the street with her buddy Ray, whom she accidentally bumps into exactly at the right time.

All things considered, I am rating this book 2 out of 4 stars. I have deducted one star for all the weaknesses in the writing style that I mentioned earlier. The editing errors are responsible for the other missing star. There were mostly misspellings and punctuation mistakes that could be fixed with another round of proofreading and editing. Readers who enjoy action-based novels with a few sci-fi elements, manhunts, and clear endings will find Crimson Justice a decent read. There are some violent scenes, but they are not excessively graphic. The use of offensive words is sporadic, so I do not think more sensitive readers will be affected. As far as I am concerned, I would be willing to read other books written by the author if he insists more on the description of the setting and the character development.

Crimson Justice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Splendour0606 »

I would say the flaws almost got me uninterested but I will give it a try, the storyline is interesting. Thanks for your review.
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

I can't exactly be discouraged from reading this book because of the flaws outlined, I love the storyline and will love to read the book
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I'm not really interested in books with detective/spy plots. On the other hand, I am genuinely interested in sci-fi. The author stinting on the sci-fi aspect heavily in favor of the detective angle has made me decide to pass on this one. Thanks for the review!
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

I don't like sci-fi. I just feel as if stuff are exaggerated. But I'm glad that you're a fan. And I hope Claire and Ray stay safe and solve the puzzle.
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

Sometimes I like the easy read that takes no thinking, but it is the sci-fi elements that put me off. Years and years ago I found that I disliked sci-fi, I think Star Trek and Star Wars are to blame :roll: On the other hand, I loved the BBC series ''Humans'' which was so very sci-fi! I think I just confused myself :roll: By that account, I should probably give this book a chance. Thank you for an honest review!
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

As a rule, the mix-up of sci-fi and crime story makes a very good book. However, this rule didn't work in the case of "Crimson Justice".

Anyway, thank you for great review.
Ediomis_Enwongo01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ediomis-enwongo01.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Ediomis_Enwongo01 »

My candid opinion. Based on the lack of depth as spotted by the reviewer, the author should give this book another shot. This would give the lovers of sci-fi their desire. Thanks for the nice job.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: The Ripsons
Bookshelf Size: 416
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by NetMassimo »

Sci-fi mystery is an intriguing subgenre, but the author must handle it properly, taking making the setting an integral part of the story. In this case, other flaws are mentioned, so the book needs some reworking. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Nujudee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nujudee.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Nujudee »

Wow!
Excellent review.
I love your honesty in your review.
But sci-fi novels aren't really my plug.
Thank you!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”