Official Review: Norman Septimus by Second Era

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Official Review: Norman Septimus by Second Era

Post by Scerakor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Norman Septimus" by Second Era.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Norman Septimus merely wants to help the people of his village who are suffering terribly during this latest famine. Normally a Robin Hood-like thief in his village, he is sent off to see King Xerxes. To capture the King of Zephoria's attention, and hopefully his help for the village, Norman brings him a rare magical relic to trade. Things don't go as easily as he planned, however, and an uncontrollable rage threatens to explode from within him.

In this classical epic fantasy novel, we follow Norman Septimus as he travels throughout Zephoria on a cascade of quests that look less and less like what he set out to achieve. The reader watches Norman as he fights alongside a princess and an orc, battles a forest witch, wrestles with ancient magic building up inside him, and chases down the members of the illustrious Assassins Circle. All the while, trouble is brewing throughout Zephoria and the neighbouring nations. Peace between the four races is crumbling, distrust is brewing within the City of Xerxes, and a power struggle is imminent. Pick up your copy of Norman Septimus by Second Era to find out how Norman's quest fits into the greater woes of the kingdom.

The great thing about fantasy books is they often have a variety of elements that keep the reader engaged throughout. This novel is no exception to that rule! From the very beginning, the reader is treated to assassinations, secret magic, quests, battles and dangerous situations. The book's quick pace kept me engaged and intrigued with every page turned. What I liked the best about this book was that its characters were both fantastic (in the genre sense of the word) and flawed. They both battled their way out of impossible situations (as you would expect in the fantasy genre) and showed genuine fears, compassion, and self-doubt. This ultimately allowed the reader to both enjoy the story at hand and relate to the book's characters.

There were a couple of things that I disliked about the book, unfortunately. Regular readers of fantasy may find the plot a bit familiar or cliché. Although the story was fun to read and kept me amused the entire time, there wasn't much originality beyond the excellent delivery. There were the traditional races usually found in fantasy, a small town hero that bites off more than he can chew, and magical battles of intense power. What I disliked the most, however, was the editing in the book. It definitely needs a few more rounds of professional editing as I found quite a few spelling mistakes, redundant phrasing, and even homophone errors.

Since I genuinely enjoyed this fantasy tale and since it kept me engaged throughout, I can definitely give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I'm forced to take off one star from this rating for editorial errors and the lack of originality. I do believe that lovers of the genre would enjoy this one and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Norman Septimus to anyone looking for a new epic fantasy series. If you don't like fantasy, however, this will not be for you at all. I'll definitely be keeping my eyes peeled for the upcoming book in this series!

Norman Septimus
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Ripsons
Bookshelf Size: 416
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems a great fun of a novel despite its limited originality. Another round of proofreading might help. Thank you for your thorough review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Kachi_Ejiogu+_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kachi-ejiogu.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kachi_Ejiogu+_ »

Quite a good read, albeit not my preferred genre, I'd pass. I hope the shortcomings in the editing is met soon enough. Nice review.
Nujudee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nujudee.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Nujudee »

Interesting!
Fantasy novels give me chills and I just wouldn't mind giving this a fair trial

Thank you!
Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Splendour0606 »

Interesting review.I am crious to know if Norman conquered in his fight to save the kingdom.Hope to read it soon.
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

Okay, I don't like anything that has witches and mysticism in it. But I'm glad you enjoyed it. I also feel that another round of editing will make the book perfect. Good job!
hasincla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hasincla.html
Latest Review: Fortune Cats with Full Tummies by Dave Hutchinson

Post by hasincla »

A fantastic adventure of fantasy cliches! I actually think I would probably like this book a lot if I were looking for a nice, light read. Thank you for your honest review!
Terry titeri
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Terry titeri »

A very nice book that takes ur imagination to the next level but I think its too childish I would say..
Sheila_Jay
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheila-jay_1438897.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sheila_Jay »

I really enjoyed reading the review. However, I am not a fan of fantasy, and so I will have to pass this one. Thanks for the insightful review.
“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Princepetr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princepetr.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Princepetr »

Fantasy book gives me great joy to read. The authors are able to pass useful information to enlighten the reader. This book deserves all the ratings. The review makes it easier to understand, nice job.
Ediomis_Enwongo01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ediomis-enwongo01.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Ediomis_Enwongo01 »

The plot is repelling to me. I can't see myself picking this book to read. Thanks for your review

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”