Official Review: Metrofloat New York

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Metrofloat New York

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Metrofloat New York" by William Quincy Belle.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Several centuries from now, thanks to antigravity, platforms with cities on them float high above the clouds. Privilege is the order of the day in the sky, while living on the ground is, quite literally, the pits. A global pandemic has killed most of the people on the ground, and a destructive, flesh-eating disease continues to leave many of them in need of artificial body parts. When a mysterious assassin begins to systematically dissolve the leadership of Metrofloat New York, one of the cities in the sky, things head south rather quickly. Detective Matthew Heart and Sergeant Elizabeth Stanton are put on the case. The two of them embark on a perilous journey, plagued with mystery, deception, and an ever-increasing body count.

Crime fiction meets sci-fi in this post-apocalyptic "whodunit" that takes the reader on a rollercoaster ride. Written in the third-person, Metrofloat New York, by William Quincy Belle, is 216 pages of suspense and back-to-back plot twists. The reader sees the events of the book from Detective Heart's perspective, save for a flashback chapter told from Sergeant Stanton's POV.

As I love both crime fiction and SF, I had high expectations for this book. Fortunately, it did not disappoint. Belle placed and executed plot twists with flair and kept me guessing until the very end. He also laid a technical and logical foundation for the SF aspects of the novel. Moreover, the characters were relatable and well-developed. Sergeant Stanton stood out the most. Despite being a cyborg, her yearning to feel as human as possible was endearing. For example, while her body can rest in an upright position, she prefers lying down.

I only disliked how the author often resorted to using dialogue to explain most of the book's technical details. Not only did this make the dialogue awkward, but it also slowed the book's pacing. The book would be perfect if the author creatively employed other world-building techniques and elements.

Nonetheless, I rate Metrofloat New York 4 out of 4 stars. Despite the flaw I mentioned above, I had a blast reading the book. Even though I came across a few minor editing errors, I have no other reason to believe the book was not professionally edited. Some of the characters use profanity, so I would encourage sensitive readers to proceed with caution. I did not find any religious references that some readers might find offensive. That said, fans of science fiction, crime, and thrillers should strongly consider giving this one a read.

Metrofloat New York
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Ripsons
Bookshelf Size: 416
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by NetMassimo »

A good mystery that takes advantage of a science fiction setting is always great. Infodump can be a problem, as you pointed out, but your final judgment shows that it's a minor flaw. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
geebeex
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geebeex.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by geebeex »

I was sceptical about how this concept would work initially but your review made it clear how much you enjoyed reading it. It's made me want to read it myself!
Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Splendour0606 »

Wow!Still got a high rating despite the flaws, it is evident that the book is amazingly interesting.Your review got me on this one.Science fiction, crime, and thrillers will be a fun read.Thanks.
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

NetMassimo wrote: 13 May 2020, 10:19 A good mystery that takes advantage of a science fiction setting is always great. Infodump can be a problem, as you pointed out, but your final judgment shows that it's a minor flaw. Thank you for your great review!
It's my pleasure. :tiphat: Thanks for dropping by!
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

geebeex wrote: 13 May 2020, 14:40 I was sceptical about how this concept would work initially but your review made it clear how much you enjoyed reading it. It's made me want to read it myself!
That's awesome. I hope you get around to reading it! Thanks for coming along and leaving a comment. :D
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Splendour0606 wrote: 13 May 2020, 16:37 Wow!Still got a high rating despite the flaws, it is evident that the book is amazingly interesting.Your review got me on this one.Science fiction, crime, and thrillers will be a fun read.Thanks.
Sometimes you just have to overlook some things, y'know. :wink: Thanks for your comment!
Ediomis_Enwongo01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ediomis-enwongo01.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Ediomis_Enwongo01 »

Whenever crime fiction meet sci-fi, it would give birth to an exciting read. This is a case of Metrofloat New York. Great review .
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Ediomis_Enwongo01 wrote: 14 May 2020, 08:47 Whenever crime fiction meet sci-fi, it would give birth to an exciting read. This is a case of Metrofloat New York. Great review .
Most certainly! I appreciate you coming along and commenting. :tiphat:
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: into the willd
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton

Post by unamilagra »

I love dystopian/post-apocalyptic stories, and this one sounds like a great read. I will have to check it out. Thanks for a great review!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like an engaging read and cyborgs are very welcomed :) Would love to check this one out! Thanks for an amazing review!
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

unamilagra wrote: 16 May 2020, 22:56 I love dystopian/post-apocalyptic stories, and this one sounds like a great read. I will have to check it out. Thanks for a great review!
I hope you do get to check it out. You're awesome for stopping by!
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Ellylion wrote: 21 May 2020, 12:24 Sounds like an engaging read and cyborgs are very welcomed :) Would love to check this one out! Thanks for an amazing review!
Haha, I'm sure the lieutenant will appreciate that sentiment. Thanks for such a kind comment! :tiphat:

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”