Official Review: Astral Planes by Trevellyn Head

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Official Review: Astral Planes by Trevellyn Head

Post by Rosemary Wright »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Astral Planes" by Trevellyn Head.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Astral Planes, by Trevellyn Aurthur Head, is about Fatty and his friends, Don and Squizzy. Fatty had a dream of becoming a journalist, but he dropped out of college. Now, he and his mates enjoy using substances. One night, on his way to see his blind date, he meets an old homeless man. The old man offers him a pill that has the ability to take him to his destination to enable him to find what he is looking for. Fatty takes the pill and immediately finds himself in a place called Astral Planes with strange creatures.

Meanwhile, Don and Squizzy, in search of weed, arrive in Bolly's house (Bolly is Don's cousin). Bolly sells a pill to Don, which he also got from an old man. Don and Squizzy take half of the pill each and find themselves in the same place as Fatty. In Astral Planes, they fight with demonic creatures, after which they see God, who sends them back to Earth with a mission to save the world.

Astral Planes is fascinating and well organized. Comprising 133 pages, it's a quick read, full of action and interesting events. I like the worldbuilding; it makes the story solid. Being a fantasy book, it includes dwarves, dragons, flying goats, flying snakes and so on. Though I'm not a sci-fi fan, this one gripped me from the first page, and I enjoyed reading it. Likewise, it'll be a rewarding feast for lovers of sci-fi and fantasy books.

The book is well written and entertaining, but I don't like the way in which God is portrayed in it. He is involved in some indecent acts, such as smoking weed and using profane words. Hence, some Christian readers may not like this aspect of the novel; they may see it as blasphemous. Also, I don't advise young adults to read it since it includes a lot of immoral acts. Again, it's jam-packed with obscene words, and there are sex scenes, though they are not explicit.

I commend the author for his vivid descriptions of the scenes and characters. The characters are quite relatable. Though most of them seem nutty, their attributes and deeds move the plot forward in an intriguing manner.

I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I didn't rate it lower because it's coherent and entertaining. In addition, I couldn't give it 4 stars because of the several grammar errors and typos in it, such as "Making there way to the car" and "Don sobbed, and Squizzy thought about the draw backs to his deal with the the devil." I hope the author sends it for another round of editing to enable it to get a perfect rating. Anyway, it was a worthwhile read for me.

Astral Planes
View: on Bookshelves
Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Splendour0606 »

This mystery story would have been a good read for me but the blasphemy knocked me off.Thanks for your review.
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

One star for me. Don't blasphem. Just don't!
kdhutchinson
Favorite Book: Dayscapers
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdhutchinson.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by kdhutchinson »

I appreciate your objective review.

I would have personally found myself offended and probably not willing to finish the novel due to the blasphemy, but it seems like it a well-written and constructed novel, that I am sure many people would enjoy. :oops: In the end, the author produced the work he was aiming at, and there are plenty of people who get a kick out of that kind of thing.

I also enjoy some convoluted world-building, and it sounds like this author did a good job combining sci-fi/fantasy tropes with modern day.

Thank you!
“All this happened, more or less.”
-Kurt Vonnegut
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Ripsons
Bookshelf Size: 416
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel has quite a broad mix of elements spanning from classic fantasy to Christian basics reinterpreted in a personal way. Definitely not for devout Christians, but I'm not religious, so I might appreciate this novel. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Ediomis_Enwongo01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ediomis-enwongo01.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Ediomis_Enwongo01 »

The blasphemy is off putting and I won't go fir this one. Nice review.
Koltrast
Currently Reading: The Eye of Illumination
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koltrast.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Koltrast »

Great, objective review! You really balance pointing out what was well done in the book and warning against the possibly blasphemous parts. I think I'll avoid it. I would get too riled up and annoyed
"Oh, how do you solve a problem like Maria?
How do you hold a moonbeam in your hand?"
- The Sound of Music
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

With this review I've added fantasy book, to memoir books which is my only favorite book currently. Astral plane and those comic even in the astral plane are intriguing
Sheila_Jay
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheila-jay_1438897.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sheila_Jay »

Just like you, I am not comfortable with the way God is portrayed in the book. Therefore, I will have to pass this one. Thanks for the great review.
“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Namaste23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namaste23.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran

Post by Namaste23 »

This book was not what I expected from the title. It seems as though the author is very creative and made their own world. Thanks for the great review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”