Official Review: Book One of Magick by Derry Wadham

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: 7 Ways To Manage Pain With CBD by David Anthony Schroeder

Official Review: Book One of Magick by Derry Wadham

Post by JKO »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Book One of Magick" by Derry Wadham.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Book One of Magick, by Derry Wadham, is a piece of science fiction that follows the story of a father's battles to keep his children safe. “If someone else reads from it and manages to achieve something, anything, without me there to prevent it, they will be seen and be hunted until found.” These were Daire's words to his already protected newbie wife, Kristina. He was talking about the “magick” books in his attic. He was referring to being hunted by a faction of vampires known as "blood,” who track down and kill unprotected newbies before their superior counterparts, Egni, get a hold of them.

Newbies are people who just started practicing magick. Daire, also known as “dark wolf,” was feared by vampires centuries ago before he was thought to be dead. However, he started a new life and now has two children, Francesca and Lucian. His children somehow find a way into his attic and collect one of his magick books without his knowledge. They start practicing what they learned from the book. Daire finds out, but it is too late as they have become unprotected newbies. The bloods are coming for them. Daire would now go to any length to protect his children. Does he succeed?

I commend the author for an excellent plot. I love the way he structured the sequence of events. This made the story easy to keep up with. I was pleased to see that the author developed each character well. This made me feel more attached to the characters. I was particularly pleased with how realistic the story looked. A good example of this was the way Daire reacted when he found out that his children were in danger. He reacted in a way that any good parent would. This increased the credibility of the story. I also liked how extensive the descriptions of places and events were. As a result, I always had a clear mental picture of what the author was trying to describe.

I was pleased that my reading flow was maintained while I read. The author related his message in clear and coherent English without any grammatical or typographical errors. I was also pleased to see that the author employed a reasonable degree of suspense in the story. This made me more interested in the story, and it kept me at the edge of my seat and wondering what was going to happen next. Additionally, I was pleased to see that the author incorporated a few characters that had a good sense of humor. I had some good laughs while reading and felt refreshed as a result.

There was absolutely nothing to dislike about this book. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. The author put together a flawless piece without any profane words. As a result, I have the pleasure of rating this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend Book One of Magick to people who are interested in science fiction and fantasy stories.

Book One of Magick
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 439
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

I hope he is able to save his children. Sounds like an interesting read. I wouldn't mind adding it to my shelf. Thanks for this review.
Sanaullahshaikh
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sanaullahshaikh »

A love, care and safety of a father is always there for his children. That's really a good story of a love between a father and his children
Ediomis_Enwongo01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ediomis-enwongo01.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Ediomis_Enwongo01 »

Good character development and fluidity in a sci-fi is a prized asset. I'll quickly add this one to my shelf. Thanks for the review.
Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Splendour0606 »

Well deserved rating. This story reminds me of the movie"Vampire Diaries"...I followed this series to the end. I love this kind of horror genre, though I really hope Daire saves his family. Great review.
Mrunalpatki
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunalpatki.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Mrunalpatki »

Great review, you seem to have loved the book. Vampire and blood is really not one of my interests but a flawless book should find many readers, so will give this one a try. Thanks for the great review.
Think before you review. Read before you think. :techie-studyinggray:
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Ripsons
Bookshelf Size: 416
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by NetMassimo »

A vampire story with a great plot and well-developed characters is certainly appealing. I'll keep en eye on this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Claudius1964
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudius1964.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by Claudius1964 »

This sounds like a refreshing read from what I'm used to reviewing. If I can read a book without having to jot down the corrections that need to be made, then its definitely going to spark my interest. I also don't like to get lost in the storyline, so I will read this book. Great Review!!!
booksandmagicshop
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booksandmagicshop.html
Latest Review: Mock My Words by Chandra Shekhar

Post by booksandmagicshop »

I love fantasy and I'm so glad everything was clear for you while you read. One of my qualms with fantasy and sci-fi is that sometimes the world-building details get convoluted. Thank you for the review!
“The magical time is coming. Come to the Magic Shop.
Now, take off your mask and open your eyes.”

- BTS
Koltrast
Currently Reading: The Eye of Illumination
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koltrast.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Koltrast »

I was sceptical when I started reading your review. I thought it was another of those vampires-vs-werewolves kinds or stories, but clearly it wasn't. Good plot, good writing, believable characters - I'm in! Nice review!
"Oh, how do you solve a problem like Maria?
How do you hold a moonbeam in your hand?"
- The Sound of Music
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by khaulah »

Sounds like an excellent plot. I would love to read the book. Thank you for your review!
Sheila_Jay
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheila-jay_1438897.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sheila_Jay »

This appears to be a great book with perfect rating, but unfortunately I am not into science fiction; therefore I have to skip it. Otherwise, thanks for the great review.
“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”