Official Review: Magician society by Roux York

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: 7 Ways To Manage Pain With CBD by David Anthony Schroeder

Official Review: Magician society by Roux York

Post by JKO »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Magician society" by Roux York.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Magician Society, by Roux York, is a piece of science fiction that looks into the lives of two magicians, Mael and Jaelyn, after they walked out of the “Tower of Babel” with Pearly. Magicians walking out of the tower have one or more unique abilities and must choose to become either sovereign or non-sovereign magicians. The governing rules for these sets of magicians are different. The author tells the story from the eyes of Mael and Jaelyn.

Mael exits the tower with superior abilities to Jaelyn and Pearly. Unlike Jaelyn, Mael and Pearly don’t have any memory of their time in the tower. This is an anomaly. They both have some kind of brain disorder. Pearly’s touch causes pain, and Mael has a super brain. Pearly's ability makes it difficult for her to connect with him. After some time, Mael's memories start coming back as Pearly becomes much stronger. Jaelyn then finds a way for them to connect. They realize that they were soulmates, and their memories had been suppressed to hinder their connection to each other. They make a decision that means they have to cut ties with people that they love for their own safety. What decision have they taken? Do they succeed?

There is always some degree of difficulty in writing a book that has no similarity to other books. The author wrote this book with a high degree of originality to the story. This tells a lot about the extent of the creativity of the author. He told a story that had an excellent plot with different interesting subplots. I was pleased that the author developed each character with a touch of class. As a result, I felt attached to more than three characters. I wasn’t sure who exactly the main protagonist or antagonist was until the closing stages of the book. This created some kind of welcome suspense in the story.

In addition to how well the characters were developed, I loved the way the author utilized the characters. Just when I was beginning to think that all was done for a particular character, her relevance sprung back into life. I believe that this enhanced the realism of the story. For example, Cristina was a character who was arrested by Dew and sent to a mental facility for evaluation. A couple of chapters later, Christina comes back to haunt Dew by slandering her to hurt her election campaign team. This definitely sounds realistic. The interesting part of it was that the actions of these characters indirectly affected the protagonists.

I was also pleased that the book was professionally edited. I found only four grammatical errors throughout the text. As a result, I was not distracted, and my reading flow was always maintained. On the downside, I found some of the conversations between certain characters too long and unnecessary. This was especially evident while they were trying to explain some scientific phenomena. It was a bit too much to keep up with at times.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I have not taken off any star because my reservations were underwhelming when compared to how well this book was written. Although most parts of the book were free of profane language, I found a few places towards the end where minor profane words were used. Sensitive readers may find it offensive. I recommend Magician Society to people who are interested in fantasy, magic, and fiction books.

Magician society
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Ripsons
Bookshelf Size: 416
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by NetMassimo »

The premises are interesting and what you wrote about their development and the characters seem intriguing, so I feel I want to read this novel. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Shemoy657
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shemoy657 »

Just by reading your review am very interested in this book, you make this book come to life the way u talk about there journey and the characters. This was well detailed
Sameer Wawarkar
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sameer Wawarkar »

Magician Society
I would definitely like to read this book, as this book comes under my favourite genre.
The book is about 2 magician who's fates are been decided by the almighty.
They are made for each other but are like unknown to each other, but there destiny will brung them together somehow.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

"There is always some degree of difficulty in writing a book that has no similarity to other books. The author wrote this book with a high degree of originality to the story. This tells a lot about the extent of the creativity of the author. He told a story that had an excellent plot with different interesting subplots. I was pleased that the author developed each character with a touch of class. As a result, I felt attached to more than three characters. I wasn’t sure who exactly the main protagonist or antagonist was until the closing stages of the book. This created some kind of welcome suspense in the story."

Look like really great book. Thank you for wonderful review.
Gladys0105
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Gladys0105 »

Your review on this book is really enough to convince one to read the book. Thanks for the enlightenment.
Zaeda Amrin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaeda-amrin.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Zaeda Amrin »

Wow, from the element of magic to the deep character development, this book sounds perfect! Thanks for the awesome review, I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on this book now.
sirbobthewise
Currently Reading: Embracing Defeat
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirbobthewise.html
Latest Review: PRAGUE: Darkness Descending by Robert Tecklenburg

Post by sirbobthewise »

This sounds so much like my kind of book. I feel like it’s been a while since the last time I read a truly original fantasy book. There are so many big names and titles out there now, I think it’s difficult for new writers to even attempt the process. Recycled ideas are such a norm these days. But this sounds really great, and I’m very curious about it. I love great character development and when you’re able to see how seemingly unimportant or disconnected events actually have set off a chain of events for the main characters. Your comment on how Cristina and Dew’s actions affected the protagonists really points to that, and I would love to be able to see how else that might show up in the book. Great review!
Awesomeliker
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awesomeliker.html
Latest Review: The Demon of the Well by James B. Hendricks

Post by Awesomeliker »

This is definitely the kind of books that I love! Thanks for the review!
Live your life in a way that you won't look back and regret things :D
UzmaKhan
Currently Reading: The Woman Before Wallis
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzmakhan.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by UzmaKhan »

Sci-fi is a genre not too many explore because of its complexity but this book seems very intriguing. Appreciate the review.🌸
Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Samgum50 »

Based on your review, this book seems to have a unique storyline that makes it one of a kind. I think the author took their time writing this and it definitely shows.
Edwin Amah
Currently Reading: Mug the Wumph the Dancing Wizard
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edwin-amah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Edwin Amah »

I do not like or believe so much in magic but I think I like the fact that the author was able to combine characters and write a unique story
Stories like this are totally different but from the review I can see that the author did a great job relating the story to everyone reading.

I recommend this book.
Julyet_Chris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julyet-chris.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Higher Ground by Thomas A. Brigger

Post by Julyet_Chris »

A great fan of paranormal books, besides, this book would make a great movie,I’m really impressed.
Thanks for such a beautiful review.
book_fanatic_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-fanatic.html
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato

Post by book_fanatic_ »

A book about magicians! I'm already eager to read this one and know what decision they take. Thanks for the lovely review.
She read books as one would breathe air, to fill up and live. - Annie Dillard
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

If there is magic, I am definitely reading this one.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”