Official Review: Heroin(e) by Gordon X. Graham

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Official Review: Heroin(e) by Gordon X. Graham

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Heroin(e)" by Gordon X. Graham.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Heroin(e) by Gordon X Graham is a fast-paced action crime thriller that delves into the world of crime, drugs, serial killings, and political intrigues. The story begins with an intriguing prologue that instantly piques one’s interest and gets readers excited about reading the book. Nina Sullivan - a young, beautiful, and ambitious lady is determined to work hard and make enough money to sustain her sick mother. Nina’s love for her mother keeps her fighting to stay alive when she is coerced into a drug cartel at a time when a serial sniper is on a killing spree in her area. Is there a connection between the cartel and the sniper? Gordon X Graham held me spellbound in this fabulously written action thriller.

The book contains interesting characters who are flawed and not superheroes. It is easy to feel empathy for them as they navigate the dangers and snares of the world they live in. The themes explored in this book cut across several subgenres. It is definitely an action thriller with elements of medical, political, military, and psychological thrillers. Therefore, it will appeal to a wide variety of audience. The vivid details of settings, scenes, and events in the story evoked imagery for me, and I could easily imagine a film being made from the story. The book was evidently exceptionally well-researched with the incorporation of settings in different continents of the world, giving it an international appeal.

It gives readers an insight into how high-level crimes are sometimes perpetrated with the knowledge and connivance of security agents. It exposes the dog-eat-dog rivalry in some corporate organizations, and how rather than provide support for one another, the knowledge of someone’s weakness can be a stronghold for blackmail and coercion. In Heroin(e), nobody can be trusted.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It was engaging, captivating, and enthralling. There were so many twists and turns in the plot that I was never quite sure in which direction the author was heading. I held my breath as I read. I was unsure of who would survive the siege and who would save the day. The ending was gratifying and unexpected. I never saw it coming.

I think the book was professionally edited though I did notice a few non-distracting typographical errors. I would recommend this book to adults because of the detailed description of violence and a moderate amount of profanity. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it was a captivating read.

Heroin(e)
View: on Bookshelves
Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Samgum50 »

Great review! I can't wait to read this book. It seems very interesting based on your review.
Chimdi_3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimdi-3.html
Latest Review: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) by Barry Litherland

Post by Chimdi_3 »

The review made me believe the book will make a good movie.Great review.
Marshal mutai
Currently Reading: The Sojourners
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marshal-mutai.html
Latest Review: Christ Without a Bride by Michael J. Ray

Post by Marshal mutai »

It's such an amazing book but the violence scenes put me off at times. Nice review
_Lindsey_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey.html
Latest Review: The Curl by Raymond George Ward

Post by _Lindsey_ »

This sounds like an excellent book for crime enthusiasts. I always like characters that are realistic and not invincible. It's promising to see that the author made sure to create multifaceted people who the reader can relate too.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Ripsons
Bookshelf Size: 416
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by NetMassimo »

There's a lot in this novel, a page-turner thanks to their mix in an engaging plot with interesting characters. Thank you for your terrific review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Frannie Annie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frannie-annie.html
Latest Review: Farewell, Fair Child by joseph amirikhas

Post by Frannie Annie »

I'm usually not into thrillers, but this one looks so interesting I'll give it a chance. Thanks for the review!
Julyet_Chris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julyet-chris.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Higher Ground by Thomas A. Brigger

Post by Julyet_Chris »

Something to keep me on my toes, this must be a very interesting piece,Can’t wait to read it.
sirbobthewise
Currently Reading: Embracing Defeat
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirbobthewise.html
Latest Review: PRAGUE: Darkness Descending by Robert Tecklenburg

Post by sirbobthewise »

I’m loving the name and the cover! It really draws you in and gives you an impression of what the book is like. Sounds like a book that could really cater to a lot of people, and I love what you said about the characters being flawed. Those are definitely my favorite kind. ;) Thanks for a great review!
UzmaKhan
Currently Reading: The Woman Before Wallis
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzmakhan.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by UzmaKhan »

Your first paragraph alone was enough to convince me to add this to my bookshelf(action-crime-thriller). Great job!🌸

“There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate’s loot on Treasure Island.”
-Walt Disney
book_fanatic_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-fanatic.html
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato

Post by book_fanatic_ »

The cover of the book is quite fascinating, and after reading your review I can't wait to read this fast-paced crime thriller. Thanks for the detailed review.
She read books as one would breathe air, to fill up and live. - Annie Dillard
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato
Mohammed_Sameer2
Favorite Author: Marcel Proust (Author)
Favorite Book: Swann's Way: In Search of Lost Time, Vol. 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mohammed-sameer2.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
fav_author_id: 221667

Post by Mohammed_Sameer2 »

It is a good review of Gordon X. Graham's “Heroin(e)” CambaReviewer, and you discover the world of Nina, the overlaps, and interactions inside the work, and the development of its actions. I confirm that these novels are so interested, because of the impact of multiple lines, and the depth of the plot. Have a good day.
11Roses
Favorite Author: Mo Xiang Tong Xiu
Favorite Book: Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation
Currently Reading: Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
Bookshelf Size: 160
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-11roses.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low
fav_author_id: 167968

Post by 11Roses »

Your descriptions and insights made for a very convincing review, well done! I will definitely be adding this to my “to read” shelf. I’m especially interested to see how Nina fares in such a hostile environment with such an exploitable weak-point as a sick mother.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”