Official Review: Claimed by Rafa by Denna Holm

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Official Review: Claimed by Rafa by Denna Holm

Post by Miraphery »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Claimed by Rafa" by Denna Holm.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Victims of abuse never really get over it, they just learn to live with it. Aaliyah was one such victim. She had been abused physically and sexually by her father and uncle. A few months back, her best friend, Abby just disappeared. You could imagine the shock when she received a call from Abby, asking to meet up. She was stunned by what she discovered. It appears Abby was abducted by an alien prince, Nicolai. This was the Raiden custom of getting a wife or as they put it 'claiming a mate'. The Raiden male could not mate with their females as they produced weak offsprings therefore they mate with other species.

Abby came back to earth with Nicolai and Rafa, his commander. She returned with the intention of talking Aaliya into going back to Raiden with her. She had no reason to stay back anyway. As soon as Rafa saw Aaliya, he felt a connection with her and wanted to claim her. Aaliya was not taking all this well, so they had to sedate her and take her without her consent. Rafa had to claim her but would have to win her heart. Would he be able to win her over despite taking her without her consent? Why did her friend, Abby allow this?

Claimed by Rafa by Denna Holm is a fiction of the sci-fi/fantasy genre. It is a book of 305 pages. It is the second book of the "Raiden Warrior Series". It has themes of love, friendship, betrayal and abuse. It is a stand-alone novel as I had no issue understanding the plot.

I loved the author's ability to capture my attention and keep me engaged from start to finish. I could not drop the book. Her descriptive ability was top-notch as I envisioned every detail described. For instance "She frowned at the odd way their hair seemed to float around the back of their heads. Not hair, not really, she decided, but more like spiny feathers, only the very tips showing any type of softness. The two in front had mainly blue spines with deep purple tips. The one walking behind had dark orange with red tips, the color a little like Rafa’s beaded armor".

The characters were well developed. Aaliyah is my favorite character. Despite the abuse she had gone through, it didn't make her bitter. She was kind and loving, a strong woman indeed. I also liked Rafa, he was very understanding. At some point, he was willing to let her go. The characters were simply amazing. I appreciate that Denna had readers who had not read the previous book in mind. It was easy to follow the plot. The pace was neither fast nor slow, just right. The story never dragged. The plot was properly executed.

The book doesn't have page numbers and at some point, the font size decreased on page 49. This was not much of a distraction though and not enough reason to deduct a star. I rate Claimed by Rafa 4 out of 4 stars.

I only observed a typo so it was professionally edited. The book contains sex scenes and instances of profanities, making it unsuitable for young readers. It also contained some violent scenes therefore anyone sensitive to this, should take note. I recommend this book to lovers of sci-fi and romance. Those who may be disturbed by erotic scenes and abuse should steer clear.

Claimed by Rafa
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Harty Muli »

I like novels with strong female characters, however it seems the storyline is biased against women. I hope that's not what the book is about. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Gracious Ngy88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Gracious Ngy88 »

Nicely written description.
I love the fact that despite the abuse that Aaliyah had gone through, it didn't make her bitter rather she grew to become a strong woman.
Julyet_Chris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julyet-chris.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Higher Ground by Thomas A. Brigger

Post by Julyet_Chris »

A good review,One of those reviews that i wish it never ends.I like the style applied in this book.
The strength of Aaliyah is enviable.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Ripsons
Bookshelf Size: 416
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by NetMassimo »

Interesting that the author mixed elements that are fairy-tale-like such as the alien prince with others that are realistic and even brutal such as sexual abuse. I'll look into this series as it seems intriguing. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Chimdi_3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimdi-3.html
Latest Review: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) by Barry Litherland

Post by Chimdi_3 »

This book is definitely a must read for me,I admire Aaliyah's strenght and would love to find out whether she accepted Rafa's love or not.This is a lovely review.
erla
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erla.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by erla »

I have just added this book to my shelf and I'm excited to read it! Aaliyah seems like a sweet girl despite the dark situations she had been through, and I think Rafa is quite loveable and understanding. Looking forward to reading it. Thanks for the review. :hand:
book_fanatic_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-fanatic.html
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato

Post by book_fanatic_ »

Nice review. I liked the way author portrays strong female characters. Will surely give this one a try.
She read books as one would breathe air, to fill up and live. - Annie Dillard
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato
Miraphery
Currently Reading:

Post by Miraphery »

Slater678 wrote: 30 May 2020, 10:00 I like novels with strong female characters, however it seems the storyline is biased against women. I hope that's not what the book is about. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Not at all, you'll find out when you read it. Thanks for your comment.
Miraphery
Currently Reading:

Post by Miraphery »

Gracious Ngy88 wrote: 30 May 2020, 13:18 Nicely written description.
I love the fact that despite the abuse that Aaliyah had gone through, it didn't make her bitter rather she grew to become a strong woman.
Yeah, thanks for dropping by to comment.
Miraphery
Currently Reading:

Post by Miraphery »

Julyet_Chris wrote: 31 May 2020, 02:26 A good review,One of those reviews that i wish it never ends.I like the style applied in this book.
The strength of Aaliyah is enviable.
Thanks, I totally enjoyed it.
Miraphery
Currently Reading:

Post by Miraphery »

NetMassimo wrote: 31 May 2020, 07:26 Interesting that the author mixed elements that are fairy-tale-like such as the alien prince with others that are realistic and even brutal such as sexual abuse. I'll look into this series as it seems intriguing. Thank you for your great review!
It is intriguing and you'd enjoy it. Thanks.
Miraphery
Currently Reading:

Post by Miraphery »

Chimdi_3 wrote: 31 May 2020, 16:23 This book is definitely a must read for me,I admire Aaliyah's strenght and would love to find out whether she accepted Rafa's love or not.This is a lovely review.
Thanks for your comment.
Miraphery
Currently Reading:

Post by Miraphery »

Pilapiletla wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 04:11 I have just added this book to my shelf and I'm excited to read it! Aaliyah seems like a sweet girl despite the dark situations she had been through, and I think Rafa is quite loveable and understanding. Looking forward to reading it. Thanks for the review. :hand:
Thanks for your comment🤓
Miraphery
Currently Reading:

Post by Miraphery »

book_fanatic_ wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 04:34 Nice review. I liked the way author portrays strong female characters. Will surely give this one a try.
Thanks for commenting.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”