Official Review: Awakening by Brett Humphrey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Awakening by Brett Humphrey

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Awakening" by Brett Humphrey.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Alister, Shelley, and Bernie have been friends ever since they can remember. This year Alister is turning thirteen, with Shelley and Bernie's birthdays not too long after. On the day before his birthday, Alister has an inhuman growth spurt and can't fit into any of his clothes; by the end of the day, even his dad's clothes won't fit him. Shelley and Bernie are stumped as to what's happening, but as all true friends should, they help him through this awkward phase. Being no ordinary growth spurt, Alister discovers he has an extraordinary birthright and must come to terms with his new nature.

Awakening by Brett Humphrey is a young adult fantasy novel. The author wrote it "to create books parents will want to read to their children, hopefully using different voices for the characters." Has he succeeded?

The story is told from the first person point of view following Alister. The friendship between the three protagonists was beautiful and may have been my favorite part of the book. They act like siblings with spats about who is the best and even have wrestling matches.

The world the author crafted is detailed and fascinating. It includes shapeshifters, mythical creatures, interdimentional travel, and magic. However, it's not so complex that younger audiences would be confused. One particular item I found captivating was called a "thought medallion." Among other things, these aided the person wearing them in communicating with those that didn't speak the same language.

In addition, I was appreciative of the life lessons that the author included. These were sprinkled in where kids won't even know they are being taught about life and leadership. Among other lessons, we learn: "Serve by protecting those who can’t protect themselves."

Being the first in the series, there is quite a bit of backstory in this novel. While I was still entertained enough that I wanted to continue reading, the first half of the book was much slower moving than the second. In order to give this history, there's a leisurely development that occurs, so some children might not have the attention span necessary to finish the novel. Also, while there was no profanity, there were instances of hunting and violence that might not be appropriate for more sensitive children. "I tore great chunks of meat off the elk and finished it in three bites."

The only true drawback in the book was the editing. I found more than ten errors. Mostly these consisted of extra or incorrect words which weren't too bothersome.

Even with the slower beginning, I rate Awakening 3 out of 4 stars due to the lack of proofreading. I recommend the story to 8 to 12 year olds along with their parents, especially those that enjoy fantasy adventures, as I believe Mr. Humphrey has accomplished what he set out to do. I can't wait to see what happens to Alister, Shelley, and Bernie in the next book.

Awakening
View: on Bookshelves
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Samgum50 »

Great review! I think that this book would be perfect for middle grade readers too. It's nice that the author has included life lessons and the plot seems very appealing as well.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

I'll make a mental note to myself to intruduce this book to my kids when they grow up a bit. Finding good books to fit teenagers seems quite difficult. I hope they do a second round with editing by then! Thanks for a great review!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Prince Chime
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-chime.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Prince Chime »

The concept “thought medallion.” is really a creative one by the author. I love what it accomplishes. I wish we had gadgets like this in real time. Thanks for the review.
“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
:)
Kenesha Latoya Fowler
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenesha-latoya-fowler.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kenesha Latoya Fowler »

Reading this review brings back good memories of reading my first YA fantasy fiction novels (when I was much younger). My own little one adores books with mythical creatures (particularly fairies) and magic. I hope this one will be available when she's a little older. I enjoyed reading your review. Thank you.
"No one is ever satisfied where he is," said the switchman.
~from The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupéry~
Chimdi_3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimdi-3.html
Latest Review: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) by Barry Litherland

Post by Chimdi_3 »

I like the friendship and bond that exits between Allister, Shelley and Bernie.I wonder how Allister handled his new nature. Thanks for the review,this book will make a good read.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Samgum50 wrote: 31 May 2020, 01:55 Great review! I think that this book would be perfect for middle grade readers too. It's nice that the author has included life lessons and the plot seems very appealing as well.
I think this is going to be a winning series for those ages. Thanks for stopping by!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Kirsi_78 wrote: 31 May 2020, 02:14 I'll make a mental note to myself to intruduce this book to my kids when they grow up a bit. Finding good books to fit teenagers seems quite difficult. I hope they do a second round with editing by then! Thanks for a great review!
Yes, a good book for teenagers or even middle schoolers can be challenging. I have run across a few on here. Thanks for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Prince Chime wrote: 31 May 2020, 03:05 The concept “thought medallion.” is really a creative one by the author. I love what it accomplishes. I wish we had gadgets like this in real time. Thanks for the review.
Yes, there are some creative elements to the book. There are definitely some I wish I could bring over into real life. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Kenesha L Fowler wrote: 31 May 2020, 03:29 Reading this review brings back good memories of reading my first YA fantasy fiction novels (when I was much younger). My own little one adores books with mythical creatures (particularly fairies) and magic. I hope this one will be available when she's a little older. I enjoyed reading your review. Thank you.
Aww! You passed on your love of fantasy to your little one. I love that! I do hope that she can find some good books when she gets to be the right age. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Chimdi_3 wrote: 31 May 2020, 10:44 I like the friendship and bond that exits between Allister, Shelley and Bernie.I wonder how Allister handled his new nature. Thanks for the review,this book will make a good read.
I only wish I had friends as good as Alister had. Thanks for stopping by!
—Neil Gaiman
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Ripsons
Bookshelf Size: 416
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by NetMassimo »

I'm probably too old for this series, but if the author did another round of proofreading it's the kind of novel I'd recommend to parents who want to introduce their children to the fantasy genre or give them as a gift. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
sirbobthewise
Currently Reading: Embracing Defeat
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirbobthewise.html
Latest Review: PRAGUE: Darkness Descending by Robert Tecklenburg

Post by sirbobthewise »

I’m curious to hear more about Alister’s mysterious birthright and find out how the author will mature their relationships throughout the rest of the series! I can imagine that their relationships will change as Alister does, but I really hope that they remain close. Loving the different aspects of fantasy. I’m much older than the recommended age, but I just can’t get enough of good middle-grade fantasy. Glad to find this gem! Great review.
Samwisekoop
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samwisekoop.html
Latest Review: Perfection and Other Illusive Things by J Mercer

Post by Samwisekoop »

This sounds like a fascinating book! Thanks for the good review!
"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future." - Galadriel
UzmaKhan
Currently Reading: The Woman Before Wallis
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzmakhan.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by UzmaKhan »

I don't really navigate in such genres but this one seems to stand alone. Appreciate your effort!🌸

“There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate’s loot on Treasure Island.”
-Walt Disney

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”