Official Review: Eden's Legions by Peter Andra

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
edztan15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edztan15.html
Latest Review: Sex Business Tokyo by Alta Eva Bourne

Official Review: Eden's Legions by Peter Andra

Post by edztan15 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Eden's Legions" by Peter Andra.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Eden's Legions is a military science-fiction written by Peter Andra that takes the reader on a journey across the galaxy after Earth has been deemed uninhabitable after its destruction from war. General Hexera, known as The Eternal Night, seeks to dominate the entire galaxy with her cunning plans and manipulation. She will do whatever it takes to become the most powerful leader in the galaxy and will not stop for anyone who gets in her way.

Meanwhile, the crew members of the Missing Madam are caught right in the middle of Hexera's plans. This ragtag bunch of misfits consists of humans with different skills, and it would be up to them whether they can thwart Hexera's plans or perhaps unknowingly push her plans into fruition.

Eden's Legions combines elements of different science-fiction books, most notably Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers and Aldous Huxley's Brave New World. It is difficult to discuss every sub-plot in this book without going into spoiler territory as it is full of twists and turns on almost every chapter. I liked Peter Andra's narration style as it is highly engaging, and it makes the book a definite page-turner. What I loved most in the book is the world-building, or in this case, galaxy-building. The author did a great job of fleshing out the different worlds and species living in them. Each world has its distinct ecosystem, species, and culture that make for an immersive reading experience. In most science-fiction novels, humans are often seen as weak and the underdogs in the story, but that's not the case for this book. Having developed the ability to merge their minds with any technology-based objects and being able to control them telepathically, the humans are viewed as a formidable species. I also loved the subtle humor injected by the author as it adds to the entertainment value of the book. It's hilarious to witness how the supposed scary Gorg creatures panic whenever they are faced with their human adversary and how the clumsy Halcyons try their best to convince the humans to eat their wiggly fruits. I liked the fact that although the book's plot is complex, it never gets convoluted. The storyline switches back and forth between General Hexera and the crew of the Missing Madam, and the author pulled it off without making it jarring.

My only complaint in the story is that the ending left me a little bit unsatisfied. Without giving away spoilers, I will just say that there are a few loose ends in the story. A sliver of hope that I can see is that with the vastness of the world (or galaxy) the author has created, the book lends itself to possible sequels. The book also suffers from editing issues having more than ten spelling and grammatical errors in it. The most obvious and recurring issue is that the word “than” is often replaced with “then”, and vice-versa.

I'm giving Eden's Legions 3 out of 4 stars. I may have given it 3.5 stars if not for the editing issues that really put the book a notch down. The story is really entertaining and engaging, and these factors trump the unsatisfying ending for me. There are some pretty graphic violent scenes in the book which may not be suitable for a younger audience. The book is a fresh take on a combination of various works of science-fiction, so I'm recommending it to those who are into that genre.

Eden's Legions
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chimdi_3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimdi-3.html
Latest Review: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) by Barry Litherland

Post by Chimdi_3 »

This review has already aroused my interest in the book, It seems action packed and full of suspense.Thanks for the detailed review.
Samuel Windybank
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-wimbaum.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Samuel Windybank »

Thanks for the review! It definitely sounds like a book I’d be in to. It’s a shame about the ending, though. I’ll have to give it a read and see if I had the same feelings.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Ripsons
Bookshelf Size: 416
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by NetMassimo »

An intriguing novel about a journy in a galaxy full of life that with another round of proofreading might be excellent. I wonder if the loose end means that there will be a sequel. Thank you for your terrific review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
_Lindsey_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey.html
Latest Review: The Curl by Raymond George Ward

Post by _Lindsey_ »

Apart from the complicated ending, it sounds like a good story to read. Hopefully, the author will decide to make a second story to tie up any loose ends?
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

I've read many stories that depict the end of Earth as we know it and search for life on other planets. However, this is the first time, as far as I know, that this kind of story positions a female character as the antagonist.
Dave263
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dave263.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Dave263 »

Im already loving the plot of this sci-fi piece, the story is captivating and gets one to want to dive into the book right away. I liked the fact that its a female antagonist lead and outerspace thriller it does not get any better based on the fact that most times male characters get the spotlight in such novels. Despite the loose ends flop, i think it still arouses the desire to read it. Thank you for the great review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”