Official Review: The Turning by Tiffany Kahapea

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Official Review: The Turning by Tiffany Kahapea

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Turning" by Tiffany Kahapea.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mary Bates is living a normal life with her sisters Miranda, Annie, Ashley, Stephanie, and Sydney when their powers awaken. Soon after, their friend Rebecca is revealed to be a seer when she goes into a trance in front of them and repeats a prophecy about the fated six sisters who will defeat the Master to All. With a dire need to learn how to use their powers, the women receive help from a surprising ally in training their abilities while fighting against the demons that continually attack them before eventually facing the Master to All. Will the sisters succeed or fail? If they do succeed, will all of them survive?

The Turning is the first book in The Bates Sisters series by Tiffany Kahapea. The story has an exciting opening that quickly drew me in, and the rest of the book is action-packed. There are a lot of fight scenes between the sisters and demons and when the sisters are training. These scenes are very well written. They have plenty of detail but are not confusing or hard to follow.

My favorite part of this book was the humor. The sisters often tease and play pranks on each other, especially early on. This shows the close relationship they all have to each other and breaks up the suspense with lighter scenes. It also helps to give some of the sisters more personality, which was great because some of the characters were a bit interchangeable at times. Miranda and Ashley had very specific character traits, but the other women had very similar personalities.

Something that was a bit of a letdown was that of the three revelations that come at the end of the book, only one of them surprised me. I suspected early on what the weapon was that could kill the Master to All. The other revelation I had just guessed about because it made sense for the story, so it wasn’t a shocking reveal.

My least favorite part was the many editing mistakes I found. Most of the errors were misspelled words and missing apostrophes, like “moms” instead of “mom’s.” A few times this caused me to pause and re-read the sentence. One example of this is, “Ashley stated as she tried truning the door knob.”

While there are some things that could have been better, I enjoyed this book overall. Therefore, I am rating it 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to fans of the fantasy genre who like strong female characters. There is a lot of swearing, so this should definitely not be read by children.

The Turning
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mohammed_Sameer2
Favorite Author: Marcel Proust (Author)
Favorite Book: Swann's Way: In Search of Lost Time, Vol. 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mohammed-sameer2.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
fav_author_id: 221667

Post by Mohammed_Sameer2 »

It is a good review of Tiffany Kahapea's “The Turning” Mbrooks2518, and you explained the fantastic conflict in the work between sisters, and the devils which contains also some funny scenes. While I was reading the published part at Amazon, I found a unique narrative description of some mysterious events, and interested details in worlds of characters. Have a good day.
Wyzdomania_Gskillz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyzdomania-gskillz.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wyzdomania_Gskillz »

Super powers, training to wield them, demons to fight, super-evil to conquer; these all sound like the elements of a simple, fun, action packed story to indulge in and excite ones senses.
Good review!
SiUpweb
Currently Reading: Beyond the Higher Ground
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by SiUpweb »

what is the difference between magicians and mystery stories might be more appropriate this novel for children but by the cover I think this is what I'm looking for still less attractive in my opinion
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

I like plot driven novels, it's good how the author structured the book, must read this. Thanks for the great review.
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
Nath_chuks
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nath-chuks.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Nath_chuks »

This sounds like an interesting read. Your review was engaging, I hope all the sisters survive and fulfil the prophecy. This is definitely a book for me
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

Six sisters all discovering their abilities at the same time? That's a lot of powered individuals right off the bat. I wonder how the author does justice to each character.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Ripsons
Bookshelf Size: 416
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems a good novel, but it needs another round of proofreading to be really interesting. Thank you for your terrific review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Chimdi_3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimdi-3.html
Latest Review: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) by Barry Litherland

Post by Chimdi_3 »

Lovely review. Sisters joining forces for a good cause.Hope they succeed and survive it.
Standor5865
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standor5865.html
Latest Review: The 2021 Chronicles by A Glenn Rose

Post by Standor5865 »

The book has a theme similar to many books I've read. I'm curious as to what makes this one unique. The main characters' attempt to defeat the Master of All sounds intriguing. I look forward to reading this.
Gianina Buda
Currently Reading: Think and Grow Rich: Original Version: The Classic 1937 Edition
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gianina-buda.html
Latest Review: Pivotal Moments by Susanne Birgersdotter

Post by Gianina Buda »

Very interesting fantasy plot! I enjoy books that describe strong female bonds and the occasional humor makes them even more delightful. Thank you for the very cool review!
Midnightstar12
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Midnightstar12 »

I enjoyed the plot of the story. It shows how much the sisters have been through and how they knew they had to learn to control their powers to defeat someone. They go through this and it shows how much they need each other too. This story should be read by book lovers.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Mohammed_Sameer2 wrote: 04 Jun 2020, 09:04 It is a good review of Tiffany Kahapea's “The Turning” Mbrooks2518, and you explained the fantastic conflict in the work between sisters, and the devils which contains also some funny scenes. While I was reading the published part at Amazon, I found a unique narrative description of some mysterious events, and interested details in worlds of characters. Have a good day.
Wyzdomania_Gskillz wrote: 04 Jun 2020, 11:17 Super powers, training to wield them, demons to fight, super-evil to conquer; these all sound like the elements of a simple, fun, action packed story to indulge in and excite ones senses.
Good review!
Thanks for reading and commenting!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Chimdi_3 wrote: 05 Jun 2020, 07:47 Lovely review. Sisters joining forces for a good cause.Hope they succeed and survive it.
SiUpweb wrote: 04 Jun 2020, 12:59 what is the difference between magicians and mystery stories might be more appropriate this novel for children but by the cover I think this is what I'm looking for still less attractive in my opinion
Thanks for reading and commenting!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

NetMassimo wrote: 05 Jun 2020, 05:09 This seems a good novel, but it needs another round of proofreading to be really interesting. Thank you for your terrific review!
Yes, hopefully the author fixes the mistakes. Thanks for reading and commenting!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”