Official Review: Jake's Dragon by Riano McFarland

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Official Review: Jake's Dragon by Riano McFarland

Post by AvidBibliophile »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Jake's Dragon" by Riano McFarland.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When an eleven-year-old savant from Tennessee finds himself on summer break, solitary hobbies keep him companionably entertained and occupied. But while Jake’s enviable cognitive and artistic abilities have made him feel like an outcast, his talent for sketching photorealistic images is unparalleled. Despite possessing an eloquent, polite, and extensive vocabulary, Jake’s voluntary daily verbal contributions are minimal. As Jake takes off on his bicycle to a nearby, mist-cloaked fishing cove, placid waters ripple across an idyllic scene of tranquility, but when his eyes land upon the opposite shore, he beholds a golden-eyed serpent with chameleon-like camouflage reposing upon a pile of moss-covered rocks. He soon discovers the “natural wonder hiding in plain sight” is a dragon named T’Aer Bolun Dakkar, a dragon destined to become his guiding light and lifelong companion. In order to logistically facilitate a constant togetherness, T’Aer activates his ability to shape-shift into a tiny white Chihuahua that follows Jake home as a stray dog named Turbo.

Jake and the dragon/dog possess the ability to communicate telepathically, ideal for a boy who rarely speaks. T’Aer tells him: “I am here to help you become the man you’ll need to be to fulfill the destiny that lies before you… communication is power.” As the story progresses, Jake gains self-confidence, social skills, and a girlfriend, but he also has the “ability to traverse the interdimensional rift” between the living and the dead – allowing him to speak to ghosts with unfinished business.

Jake’s Dragon by Riano D. McFarland is a fantasy novel for all ages. As the debut title in a 3 book series, it introduces readers to the history of dragons and weaves in additional themes of compassion, innovation, military veterans, and eco-conscious considerations. While there are school assignments, bedtimes, and routine activities of daily living, there are also holographic avatars, dreamscape battles, invisibility cloaks, underwater sanctuaries, ancestral lore, and glistening golden tombs of deceased dragon kings!

McFarland’s storytelling ability is pure enchantment. Throughout this 202-page novel, I experienced a trancelike state of wonder and grandeur that engaged my imagination to such an extent that the outside world simply drifted away. Scenes came to life in vivid detail, especially when they depicted dragons with 40-foot wingspans and molten gold in their veins. As Jake joins his dragon on sky rides and transcontinental flight feeds, readers soar up into the aurora borealis and plunge deep into the Atlantic Ocean depths in search of teeming fish meals. It reminded me of the nostalgic sense of magic I felt while watching The NeverEnding Story as a child.

Those who display an effortless ability to socialize sometimes tend to ostracize the gifted. This story also indirectly promotes the healing powers of pet therapy and emotional support animals. As Turbo, the tiny dog, the dragon is able to help Jake come out of his shell, since miniature canines tend to attract a lot of superfluous attention and conversation. He also prevents Jake from having panic attacks and teaches the boy that it is not necessary to humiliate people into submission or to tell them they are wrong, unless it can be done in an ultimately uplifting way. On the flip side, Jake teaches his 100-year-old dragon how to laugh and find holiday joy. While there are mentions of Santa Clause, dog toys, and ATVs, readers will also see phrases like: “salutatory platitudes,” “bureaucratic delays” and “unconscionable disruption.”

There are some violent scenes and malicious villains, but none of the content or language is inappropriate for younger readers. A provoked mother dragon decapitates some sailors and drops a thieving ship captain into the lava of an active volcano after his fleet destroys 2 of her 3 eggs, but mommas are protective that way. Historically, dragons were blamed for droughts and plagues because humans refused to believe their own over-farming practices and unclean living conditions were the true culprits of their dissolving ruin. As a result, dragons were hunted relentlessly and massacred by the tens of thousands, eventually being forced to the edge of extinction by greedy dragoneers. McFarland compares that same cycle of misplaced blame and self-destructive behavior to the modern-day greedy farming corporations that force small, family-owned farms into bankruptcy through acts of malicious intent and attempted arson.

I feel this book would be appropriate for introverts, quiet creative types, leaders, loners, and dreamers. The author strongly promotes an eco-conscious mindset with a nod to the old adage: “only leave footprints behind.” Emphasis is placed upon oceanic preservation and eco-friendly farming practices, and many characters even altruistically donate items to be auctioned off for charity.

I was pleased to see such exceptional and comprehensive editing, as I only encountered a few, subjective formatting concerns throughout. There was absolutely nothing I disliked about the story, and I look forward to reading the next two books in this series, The Rise of the King and Harvest Moon. I enthusiastically award this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Equal parts adorable, thought-provoking, motivating, and illuminating, this imaginative tale proves that you can be as small as a rabbit while exuding the confidence of a lion. If you believe in yourself, positivity will bring possibilities that make the impossible seem plausible. Maybe dragons really do exist…

Jake's Dragon
View: on Bookshelves
RetiredOBNurse
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RetiredOBNurse »

What a wonderful and colorful review! I love your vivid descriptions throughout and the way you write makes me feel like I am part of the story. I know I need some fantasy time away from the reality of life today so I look forward to reading this book. Thanks for such a thorough review once again!
Wuoketch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wuoketch.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wuoketch »

I would definitely try this book. Your review is sincere and enjoyable to read. Thanks for the great review.
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

As quite a solitary person, I could right away relate to Jake. I was never much into fantasy books, but I am slowly coming around. Your heartfelt and, as always, remarkably written review is definitely helping me open my mind! Your writing is seriously absolutely beautiful.
The following line was the one that's done it:

'[...] I experienced a trancelike state of wonder and grandeur that engaged my imagination to such an extent that the outside world simply drifted away.'

Thank you!
AvidBibliophile

RetiredOBNurse wrote: 20 Jun 2020, 13:24 What a wonderful and colorful review! I love your vivid descriptions throughout and the way you write makes me feel like I am part of the story. I know I need some fantasy time away from the reality of life today so I look forward to reading this book. Thanks for such a thorough review once again!
Well this one would certainly offer you an enchanting fantasy escape! Equal parts magical AND everyday life for a boy that feels like he just doesn't quite fit in; it makes readers believe anything is possible. Thank you for commenting!
AvidBibliophile

Wuoketch wrote: 20 Jun 2020, 13:43 I would definitely try this book. Your review is sincere and enjoyable to read. Thanks for the great review.
I greatly appreciate your kind words of feedback and support! I hope you get the chance to check this one out sometime soon because I sincerely enjoyed each and every page. :techie-studyinggray:
AvidBibliophile

LinaJan wrote: 20 Jun 2020, 13:57 As quite a solitary person, I could right away relate to Jake. I was never much into fantasy books, but I am slowly coming around. Your heartfelt and, as always, remarkably written review is definitely helping me open my mind! Your writing is seriously absolutely beautiful.

'[...] I experienced a trancelike state of wonder and grandeur that engaged my imagination to such an extent that the outside world simply drifted away.'

Thank you!
Aww, well thank you immensely for enjoying my reviews to the extent that you do! That truly means a lot to me, since it is my goal to try and write them in a way that is both entertaining for prospective readers AND helpful to the authors who put so much of their hearts and souls into writing these books. I am quite a solitary person too, so I could also resonate with a lot of what Jake was going through - never quite fitting in, wondering when to speak up, choosing words carefully when we do decide to be (awkwardly) social... I could just imagine myself clinging to the back of that dragon, soaring high up into the star-speckled skies!
LinaJan

Post by LinaJan »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 20 Jun 2020, 14:10
LinaJan wrote: 20 Jun 2020, 13:57 As quite a solitary person, I could right away relate to Jake. I was never much into fantasy books, but I am slowly coming around. Your heartfelt and, as always, remarkably written review is definitely helping me open my mind! Your writing is seriously absolutely beautiful.

Thank you!
Aww, well thank you immensely for enjoying my reviews to the extent that you do! That truly means a lot to me, since it is my goal to try and write them in a way that is both entertaining for prospective readers AND helpful to the authors who put so much of their hearts and souls into writing these books. I am quite a solitary person too, so I could also resonate with a lot of what Jake was going through - never quite fitting in, wondering when to speak up, choosing words carefully when we do decide to be (awkwardly) social... I could just imagine myself clinging to the back of that dragon, soaring high up into the star-speckled skies!
Whatever you do, please do not stop writing! :) I think you have both achieved your goals and went well beyond! :)
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

You almost made me believe in dragons in the end. This is a great review, and I'd love to read this book you seem to have greatly enjoyed.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
AvidBibliophile

Ekabajong wrote: 20 Jun 2020, 17:22 You almost made me believe in dragons in the end. This is a great review, and I'd love to read this book you seem to have greatly enjoyed.
Hope you get the chance to check it out then! Dragons might really be lurking in the shadows...
AvidBibliophile

LinaJan wrote: 20 Jun 2020, 13:57 Whatever you do, please do not stop writing! :) I think you have both achieved your goals and went well beyond! :)
I don’t always get reassuringly positive feedback from the editorial scorecards, and I often get dinged for my reviews being “too long” and not concise enough, so your kindness and encouragement means more than you know today. Thank you.
LinaJan

Post by LinaJan »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 20 Jun 2020, 17:40
LinaJan wrote: 20 Jun 2020, 13:57 Whatever you do, please do not stop writing! :) I think you have both achieved your goals and went well beyond! :)
I don’t always get reassuringly positive feedback from the editorial scorecards, and I often get dinged for my reviews being “too long” and not concise enough, so your kindness and encouragement means more than you know today. Thank you.
I suppose all to themselves, ay :shock: I certainly always take every opportunity when I see your name by the review :) I say do not change anything :) In my eyes, they are always thorough, well-rounded and, most importantly, very heartfelt and beautifully written :)
I'm glad to have been able to reassure you :)
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

Initially I thought this was a book for kids, but after reading more about it I see why it can be enjoyed by adults as well. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
AvidBibliophile

NetMassimo wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 01:45 Initially I thought this was a book for kids, but after reading more about it I see why it can be enjoyed by adults as well. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
After reading the title, and seeing the cover with an adorably small dog, I too thought this might be just a children’s tale... but I was pleasantly surprised to discover so much more! The author truly maintains a superb writing style that can keep readers of all ages invested throughout. Certainly got me more excited about dragons!
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

I'd like to read more about Jake, and how his talents kept her occupied. Nice review.
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”