Official Review: Charlotte's Soul by Danny C. Estes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Official Review: Charlotte's Soul by Danny C. Estes

Post by Adedayo+23 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Charlotte's Soul" by Danny C. Estes.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Charlotte Goodfield’s revenge was overdue, centuries overdue. After spending over 300 years locked up in a cave, Charlotte’s heart burned with the desire to make her half-brother pay for his treachery. He had debased her, stolen her soul amulet, then put her in shackles, and left her to die in an underground cave.

Set free in modern-day New York, much has changed, and Charlotte has no idea where or how to begin the search for her half-brother. She enlists the help of a detective whose interests align with hers. Nevertheless, Charlotte's search is not an easy one. From one near-death ordeal to another - not to mention a terrifying encounter with her nephew - Charlotte's quest appears doomed to failure.

Unbeknown to her, Charlotte's half-brother has become aware of her presence and has set a trap to catch her. Charlotte awakens to find herself in chains in an underground cave once again. Will history repeat itself, or will fate intervene most unexpectedly?

Charlotte's Soul by Danny C. Estes was an enthralling read. This urban fantasy started at a steady pace, and gradually gathered momentum as the story progressed. The descriptive writing, engaging dialogue, and compelling character development brought the story to life. The plot was a brilliant mix of paranormal mystery and crime thriller. The book also touched on some aspects of what it was like to be an African woman during the slave trade period. Charlotte was an intriguing character, and with the way the author related her story, it was easy to empathize with her. She was also a strong and fiercely independent woman, in part, because of what she went through. Charlotte's backstory was shared through memory and flashback, which helped to keep the story moving.

This book has several high points for me. First, I appreciate the author’s depiction of magic in the world he created. There was nothing exaggerated or unnecessarily fantastical about it. Charlotte worked her magic from a spiritual place and within an established structure. For instance, manipulating inanimate objects was far easier than manipulating the human mind, which was almost impossible. Also, wielding her magic, especially to work major spells, depleted Charlotte's life force. There was a limit to the level of magic she could perform at any given time before needing to replenish her energy. The author's approach helped me to appreciate better the magical aspects of this fictional world.

Another high point was Charlotte's interaction with the detective, Matt Huston. Everything about Charlotte seemed to rub Matt off the wrong way. Charlotte was a quirky, mysterious, and mischievous young woman with a zest for life (when she was not consumed with the search for her half-brother). Detective Huston, on the other hand, was a skeptical, testy, and quick-tempered man. Their interactions were rife with mistrust, but it certainly read well. Both Charlotte and Matt had pasts that not only haunted them but also drove them. This shared trait made them relatable and had me rooting for them to succeed.

My main grouse with the book was the editing. There were noticeable grammatical and typographical errors, including misused homonyms. The errors were a bit distracting, but they did not ruin my overall enjoyment of the book. Consequently, my rating of Charlotte's Soul is 3 out of 4 stars. The editing errors compel me to deduct a star. Charlotte's Soul was a riveting and refreshing read, and I enjoyed it immensely. Fans of urban fantasy, or anyone in the mood for a different urban adventure novel, should try this book. Graphic depictions of sexual acts and violence make this book unsuitable for children.

Charlotte's Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

I'm not a big fan of urban fantasy, but this novel seems to offer the best of what I could find in Anne Rice's stories. Another round of proofreading might make it excellent. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

Wow, Charlotte is really out to get her half-brother. The plot of this book smells really good. Thanks for the exciting review, Adedayo. Terrific job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Reitumetse_R
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reitumetse-r.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Reitumetse_R »

Sounds like a wonderful book..I am not one for fantasy but I think I would want to try this one. Your review compels me to. Lovely
baha Ibrahim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baha-ibrahim.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by baha Ibrahim »

I found Charlotte's Soul to be a very enjoyable romp through contemporary fantasy featuring witchcraft.

Thank you for your great review
:tiphat: Baha :tiphat:
Ashley-Osuna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-osuna.html
Latest Review: The Pilgrim Bride by Pilar Cerón Durán

Post by Ashley-Osuna »

This seems like a great book and I love the concept. I also really appreciate it whenever I come across with books that have strong female main characters, so this seems perfect for me. Hopefully another roudn of proofreading can fix all of the typos and mistakes. Thank you so much for the recommendation!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”