Official Review: Portals of Hope by Cate Hallahan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Official Review: Portals of Hope by Cate Hallahan

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Portals of Hope" by Cate Hallahan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you believe in alternate universes? Can you imagine the possibilities that lay beyond your understanding? If not, then Portals of Hope by Cate Hallahan will stretch your imagination to its breaking point. This book shows what can happen in an alternate universe where all leaders are honorable, and the masses being led are conscientious. With this piece, Hallahan shines a light on many deep issues that plague our world, through the fictional story of the life of Hope.

Hope is a regular girl who lives with her boyfriend, Colin. Their world is the third-ranked dimension of earth, where there are many other alternate dimensions. Hope, however, is oblivious to this fact and that there are other “Hopes” in those alternate universes. On the morning of the anniversary of her parents’ death, she gets a rude awakening. Somehow, she is accidentally transported to one of the worst-ranked dimensions! In this bleak world, there is tragedy after tragedy. It is such a sharp contrast from what she is used to, and so she struggles to come to terms with the horrific events that are unfolding. Hope soon finds out that she has a spirit guide called Emma. With Emma and some new friends, Hope must battle certain horrors that are thrown her way. One question remains: how will she get back to her dimension? But before then, can she really make a difference in a world that seems hopeless?

When I read the description, I was a bit skeptical because of the talk of “alternate universes.” However, I decided to pick this book because the author said that it was most suitable for women that love to read about strong women, and I thought it was a good fit for me. I was not disappointed. The story was divided into 23 parts, each part indicating the dimension that was in focus at a particular point, so I was not confused at all. The story flowed seamlessly, and I found myself eagerly flipping the pages to discover more. Hope’s character was strong and so endearing that I became her fan. Even though Hope was the main character, the author developed other supporting characters properly. I must also warn you of the many surprises along the way; no one could possibly guess the ending!

I found it delightful that the author was not merely telling a pointless fictional tale of different worlds. Hallahan drew from the tragedies of our present world, including natural disasters, police brutality, racism, healthcare malpractice, and so on. The author offered a meaningful glimpse into what the world could look like if everyone worked together to make it a better place. However, I found many blank pages, which were unnecessary. I discovered only 3 minor errors that did not detract from my enjoyment of this piece. Hence, I rightfully conclude that the editing team did a splendid job. I did not find anything to dislike about this book; I absolutely loved it and could hardly put it down once I started reading.

I recommend this book to people interested in mystery books that focus on alternate universes. Romance lovers may also find this book interesting because there is a beautiful love story included. Just like the author, I wish women would read this book. However, because of the profanity, slightly erotic scenes, and extent of malice and violence, I strongly discourage children from reading it. Over-analytical people may want to skip this one because it can drive them nuts. I, for one, have nothing but high praise for this piece, so I have decided to rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Portals of Hope
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

I'm not sure about the romance element because it's not my thing, but the mystery in an alternate universe intrigues me. I'll try not to be too analytical. :lol: Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Anna Dougherty
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-dougherty.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Anna Dougherty »

I've never read a book about alternate universes before. Thanks for your review!
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

I like the whole idea of alternate universes. It tickels my imagination and has me asking all the 'what ifs'. With what I've gathered from this beautiful review, this book makes an amazing story. I hope I get the chance to read it.
Live and let live, baby.
Suesea
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suesea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Suesea »

I can't help but repeat a few other reviewers. I'm often referred to as an overthinker. I think that's similar to being overly analytical. I'm not sure why that would interfere with my enjoyment of this fantasy though. It tends to be the reason I seek books to pull me out of reality. The one thing that might be depressing is the reality that there is no alternative dimension for us to escape to. This is it. Humans need to face that fact to heal the Earth and stop violence and injustice.

Thanks for your review.
adhambakry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adhambakry.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by adhambakry »

Thanks for the review! Science-fiction is my favorite genre. I might give this book a try.
Maconstewart
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading: Black Beach
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maconstewart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maconstewart »

This book sounds amazing! I love the concept of alternate universes. It sounds like this author did a good job of keeping the reader aware of where they were.
Lisa

My greatest accomplishment is that I raised two daughters that love to read.
:techie-reference: :techie-reference:
Akusom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Akusom »

I’ve always been interested in the idea of alternate universes and this book sounds exactly like the kind of book I would like. This is a very detailed and impressive review. Thank you
Menace Crypto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pandemic (The U.S. Pandemic in India) by Dieter Gartelmann

Post by Menace Crypto »

I really loved the book's title, and I loved your review, it has really made me want to read this book. Thanks a lot for the well-detailed review. Kudos.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

I am curious about how they were transported to the other dimension. Was there a portal, like what the title is suggesting? Thank you for the review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”