Official Review: I, the Storm by Sean O'Leary

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Official Review: I, the Storm by Sean O'Leary

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I, the Storm" by Sean O'Leary.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Isaac Rey seems to be just a typical young adult who likes music, plays in a band, and has issues with his girlfriends. However, he can travel through time and space. Still, he doesn’t know the origin of this power, and he has to learn how to dominate it before it becomes uncontrollable. In this journey, Isaac meets a philosophical friend and confronts people who possess similar skills named ECs. But the protagonist is also going to find strange and powerful relatives he didn’t know.

I, the Storm is a sci-fi book that resembles a dynamic screenplay. The author uses techniques from the movies. He uses various viewpoints to portray the characters’ lifestyles and relationships with background music. In addition to that, at the end of the novel, there’s a list of those pieces of music and bands quoted by the author that allows the reader to listen to a playlist of the book while reading and imagining the scenes.

My favorite aspect of this book was the author’s style. Sean O’Leary uses the cinematographic process of counterpoint technique, which is the quick transition from one situation to another and the intersection of the various stories. For example, the sentence “he says while picking up his shirt” comes right before “A Haitian girl picks up a shirt” connecting the scenes. That’s a technique used in the music that seeks the harmonization of melodies. Besides, it’s also used in literature to harmonize several voices and perspectives. The author used this method in this book with exceptional ability since music is an aspect that has a constant presence.

There’s nothing I disliked in this novel. However, the book had an abrupt ending, and the author didn’t explain the purpose of several characters. It seems to me that the author intended to incite the reader’s curiosity in the same way a television show does at the end of a season. Likewise, Isaac is lost, and he doesn’t understand how to use his powers, so we feel lost just like him. That aspect makes the novel more relatable and engaging, which is in line with the writer’s goals. Therefore, I will not take a star off my rating because of it. Besides, the novel seems professionally edited and well-written.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It’s different from everything I have ever read. The author has a unique style that is gripping and innovative. The reader can feel like watching a movie or a TV show. I recommend this book for readers who enjoy sci-fi stories about time travel and for readers who like to watch series. Still, I don’t recommend it to readers who aren’t interested in novels with various perspectives and the use of different dates that appear in time travel stories since it might be confusing. I also don’t recommend it to those who are sensitive to profanities and light erotic content since it might disturb them.

I, the Storm
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: My Spouse, my friend by Ingiete Oyama

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

From adding a playlist to cinematographic visuals, it sounds like the author went all out in this book. Thanks for the review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I'm not a biggest fan of abrupt endings, but the uniqueness of the writing style sounds so intriguing! :) Thanks for a great review!
Dreamer80
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamer80.html
Latest Review: How Trends Make You A Smarter Investor by Gabrielle Dahms

Post by Dreamer80 »

Sci-fi is my favorite genre, and the books are often not very well written. But this seems like a very good book and something I'd enjoy. And Light erotic content is okay for me so I'll give it a go
Joan642
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joan642.html
Latest Review: Inspirations by Colleen by Colleen Bruce

Post by Joan642 »

I love sci-fi but I don't think I would really enjoy this one. Thanks for the review.
Vidhi Vadhar
Currently Reading: Chanakya and the Art of Getting Rich
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-vadhar.html
Latest Review: The Turn by Matthew Tysz

Post by Vidhi Vadhar »

Sci-fi is a genre that I nowadays enjoy reading. I think I will enjoy reading it. Thanks for your review.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 510
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

This sci-fi book is interesting; I especially enjoy that you mentioned time traveling. I have read a few time traveling books before, and I did enjoy them. I will probably like reading this story. Thank you!
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

The book title doesn't hint towards sci-fi or time travelling so I'm glad that I've read your review because that's exactly the genre I like.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”