Official Review: Escape From Giant's Crown by Trent Kaniuga

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Official Review: Escape From Giant's Crown by Trent Kaniuga

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Escape From Giant's Crown" by Trent Kaniuga.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Honorable means. He laughed at the notion. There was nothing honorable about anything in Giant's Crown."

Enter the city built on the back of a mighty stone giant. Giant's Crown seemed like a light of hope to Oliff after walking three days through the Dark Forest to save his wounded son, Mao. But he is soon to discover that reality lies far from the perceived salvation he seeks within this society of only men. In Escape from Giant's Crown, by Trent Kaniuga, readers will explore Giant's Crown's secrets and sundries as Oliff desperately works to pay off the debt for his son's medical care. Thrown into the midst of a corrupt town, Oliff will do whatever it takes to save Mao, but at what price? How can they escape the darkness that lurks behind the glowing light of hope?

One of the best things about the fantasy/sci-fi genre is the worlds you get to explore. Giant's Crown is a unique and exciting place, and I loved how vivid this creative setting was. Kaniuga also added to the depth of the story's worldbuilding through the fantastic illustrations that graced the pages. If you enjoy video games or anime, this book exudes the crisp clarity of the cut-scenes you get to enjoy as you play. As a reader, you'll appreciate the professional quality of the artwork throughout the book. I loved how well the pictures correlated with the story, and it was fantastic getting to see the characters of Kaniuga's steampunk-like world brought to life.

In addition to the excellent worldbuilding, the story is thought-provoking and explores the moral dilemmas of a good man trying to survive and escape with his soul unscathed. Readers will empathize with Oliff's struggles as he finds himself drowning in debt and desperately working to pay for the medical treatment required to save his boy. This plot is further driven by suspense and a bit of mystery as the reader ponders what the characters achieve by earning the highly-coveted peach pins and what sort of nefarious plot is afoot—Mayor Byron is quite the shady character, as you'll soon find out!

Overall, I highly enjoyed the book. I did, however, have one small thing that I disliked. In the final chapter, there is a scene that seems to be missing a paragraph or passage. It's a bit difficult to tell because a picture separates the sentence in question, and the point of view switches from Oliff to the Mayor without explanation. It was a bit confusing and disrupted the ending, but fortunately, it's easy to get back on track and finish out the story. Aside from this, there were a few minor typos, but the book is well-written and seems professionally edited.

Escape from Giant's Crown is a quick and entertaining read, and I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I did not reduce the rating for the editing error because, despite the distraction, it is relatively easy to pick up the rest of the story. The ending is somber, yet satisfying and conclusive, but may not appeal to those looking for a happy ending. With no erotic content and infrequent minor swearing, the book is appropriate for mature teens and adult readers. For those who pick up and enjoy this book, Kaniuga has additional books available on Amazon.

Escape From Giant's Crown
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
adhambakry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adhambakry.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by adhambakry »

Thanks for the review! I'm a big fan of the sci-fi genre, the book seems interesting, I'll read it!
Astrid H
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astrid-h.html
Latest Review: ...on your way home...Do This by George Six

Post by Astrid H »

Looking forward to reading it!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel seems intriguing and the fact that is thought-provoking makes it even better! Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Menace Crypto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pandemic (The U.S. Pandemic in India) by Dieter Gartelmann

Post by Menace Crypto »

I loved your review, it has really made me want to read this book. Thanks a lot for the well-detailed review. Kudos.
Tablito
Favorite Book: The Mountain and The Goat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Tablito »

The book has no happy ending unfortunately.
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

It baffles me how some authors manage to build such vivid fantasy worlds! The story itself sounds very intiguing too.

Thank you for such an informative and inviting review! :)
Maconstewart
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading: Black Beach
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maconstewart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maconstewart »

Your review has piqued my interest! I love sci-fi and steampunk so this sounds right up my ally!
Lisa

My greatest accomplishment is that I raised two daughters that love to read.
:techie-reference: :techie-reference:
Drado_27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drado-27.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Drado_27 »

Really love the story! The book cover is so fantastic and promising, it caught my attention. Lovely review!
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

Books like this offer the most flexible range to your mind and it’s imaginations. It lets it go beyond bounds and there’s no better feeling than that. A seemingly worthy read.

Thank you for you well written review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”