Official Review: The Cave On Lake Loon The Battle Within

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Official Review: The Cave On Lake Loon The Battle Within

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Cave On Lake Loon The Battle Within" by Cynthia Keirstead.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Enter into a magical world filled with gnomes, dwarfs, elves, flying lions, and Zandarkians. The portal we are using is only a book! The Cave on Lake Loon The Battle Within by Cynthia Keirstead is a teen fantasy tale with a tinge of mystery and romance.

When Andy Johnson, a member of the Gang, mysteriously disappears from Zandark, his friends do not believe that he is dead. They soon discover that he has been transported to Chutzpah, a planet that nobody ever knew existed. This phenomenon can happen only once every five hundred years, and the portal, located in the cave at Lake Loon, opens and closes within two weeks. In Chutzpah, there is total darkness, and the Dark One has captured Andy. The Gang must rescue Andy before the portal closes as the prophecy says. In order to do this, they must let go of their fears, learn to trust, have faith, and make many new friends. If they do not, the two planets will be forever destroyed. The real magic here is not in the result but in their journey!

This was a classic plot of good versus evil, and it seemed like the author was inspired by legendary literature, including Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and Chronicles of Narnia. I liked that Zandarkians had human features and were relatable. I found it lovely that everyone was willing to cooperate. In fact, different races that previously hated each other became united. The lessons I learned about how to treat others were priceless. Most characters were compassionate and reminded each other to be kind to all, which I found sweet. The plot also progressed nicely with a beginning, climax, and resolution.

The tale was mostly narrated by Dan Keegan. This was interesting at first, but later, I felt that it would have been better if the author used the omniscient style throughout, as Dan’s perspective was insufficient to capture the real beauty of the story. As if to prove my point, the author kept alternating between the two styles, albeit unprofessionally. I also despised the portrayal of female characters. For example, Ms. Pitts, who started off being inquisitive and resourceful, eventually became a background character who was always crying and blushing. The same thing went for Nikia. I was irritated by this, and I wish the females had more prominent roles that showed real strength.

Honestly, this story had such a strong start, but I was eventually disappointed. The editing was poor, and I found many errors; the pages weren’t numbered as well. I would recommend this to young teens who like fantasy novels, but I strongly suggest that another round of professional editing be done before anyone picks it up again. I found no profanity, and there were only a few kissing scenes, making it suitable for a younger audience. I found most of the dialogue to be cheesy, and so I conclude that adults may not have the patience for this book. My complaints justify my rating of 2 out of 4 stars. Unfortunately, even though I enjoyed the plot, I cannot rate it higher because of poor execution.

The Cave On Lake Loon The Battle Within
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Joan642
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joan642.html
Latest Review: Inspirations by Colleen by Colleen Bruce

Post by Joan642 »

To begin with, I think this book has a wonderful plot. Being able to add a bit of romance and mystery in a fantasy tale is simply amazing and I know I would really enjoy reading this book. Thanks for the review.
Charles Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-smith.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Charles Smith »

This books seems like it has a lot of potential , it's sad that it's ruined , all because of the lack of professional editing. Hope he gets one for his next book !
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems the case of a book with a good potential that, as you pointed out yourself, needs a professional editor to help the author. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

I think this book has got a cliche but interesting storyline. I hope the necessary re-editing is done.
Nice review, Christieee.
Live and let live, baby.
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: I Have Proof of a Higher Power by Ioan Dirina

Post by Harty Muli »

I like the intrigue that is evoked as the members of the Gang go in search of Andy. Thanks for the intriguing review.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 757
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Life at the Precipice by R.F. Vincent

Post by Bertha Jackson »

With a little more work this book could be a good read. Thank you for your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

It seems intriguing why the portrayal of the female characters shifted somewhere along the way. In addition, I hope the author addresses the concerns mentioned in your review. Thanks!
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

As heavily promising as this story line maybe, it could get lost as a result of the distasteful errors. A good reworking of this book and correction of the errors would definitely be worth it. It has potential.

Thanks for a good review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”