Official Review: The Earth Defence League: The Interstell...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Official Review: The Earth Defence League: The Interstell...

Post by Ria710 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Earth Defence League: The Interstellar Mission Book 1" by Tshekedi Wallace.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Earth Defence League: The Interstellar Mission is a sci-fi/fantasy book by Tshekedi Wallace. This is the first book in the series. The story takes place in the future. Eva Rodriguez is the president for the Earth Defence League. She is planning a mission into space. The mission is called New Horizon. Eva must successfully plan this mission whilst keeping an eye on General Scott. Scott has always been against Eva’s ideas, ever since she became president. Meanwhile, the evil Queen Kalandriak is planning a deadly war. She lives on a planet far away from earth. Queen Kalandriak hopes to take over and rule many planets.

What I liked about the book was that it was told in the third-person perspective. This is nice because I was able to understand the context of the story more. Another thing I liked was the author’s descriptive writing. The author described the different alien species really well. I felt like I could picture them in front of me. Also, I liked that the author didn’t use complicated language, so it was easy to read.

There were many things that I disliked about the book. First of all, there were a lot of characters in the story. This meant that I kept forgetting who was who. I think the author could overcome this problem by putting a glossary at the start of the story. Since there are a lot of characters, I found it difficult to connect to any of them. Secondly, I feel like there is no character development. This is because we learn a little about their thoughts and feelings. I wish the author wrote more about the background/home life of the characters. This would have allowed me to learn about their personalities.

Furthermore, there are multiple storylines going on at once. This made it hard to follow along to the story. Also, the entire book felt like an introduction to the story we still have yet to read. I understand the reason for this could be that it’s the first book in the series. After reading the description of the book, I thought there was going to be a lot of action scenes. However, that’s not the case. The author also has a problem of telling us everything, instead of showing it.

Overall, I would rate this book 2 out of 4 stars because the author’s idea of the story is great, but it’s not executed well. I did find some mistakes, so the book needs to undergo another round of editing. I know with improvement this book can be amazing. Young adults who like space, aliens and the military might enjoy this book.

The Earth Defence League: The Interstellar Mission Book 1
View: on Bookshelves
shreyagupta
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyagupta.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by shreyagupta »

The story line looks like an interesting read. Its sad to know that the story wasn't developed properly. Thanks for the review
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems a novel with a good potential in need for a professional editor to help the author in its full development. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Different alien species sound quite interesting, but the book has too many flaws for my liking... Thanks for this honest review! :)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”