Official Review: Wasting Time by Mike Murphey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Official Review: Wasting Time by Mike Murphey

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Wasting Time" by Mike Murphey.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It’s the year 2045, and time travel is now possible. There are rules to traveling back in time, and breaking them could lead to serious complications. One of the rules is that a traveler cannot be sent back before the time of their birth. When a greedy investor sends Sheila to the 1960s, her friends, including Marta, Marshall, Elvis, fear that she may be dead. A series of events lead them to believe that there may be hope after all. But as they try to find her in what they call the limbo, they must tackle not only administrative hurdles but evil counterparts from other parallel universes. The world of time travel may just be more than they can handle. On the sidelines, a relationship is budding between Marta and Marshall. Marta suspects that Marshall is a spy, but she’s falling for him regardless. What decision will her findings lead her to make?

Wasting Time is book 2 in the A Tale of Physics, Lust and Greed series. It really does live up to the title of the series, as it is, indeed, a story with a mix of physics, lust, and greed. There were a lot of explicit sex scenes and the use of profanity. It was marvelous to find that even though this book included time travel and its mechanics, it was very easy to understand. The author simplified things in a way that allowed the story to flow beautifully. A reader may need to read a sentence concerning time travel twice, not because of technicalities, but to relive the vivid visual images the author’s words spark. The female characters that Mike Murphey created were very empowering. Many researchers and time travelers were fierce women that contributed immensely to the research. There were women leaders and senators. I loved that the women were able to own their sexuality.

While the research program provided the science-fiction part of the story, the background politics involving the government, investors, and murder were full of thrilling drama. Don’t even get me started on the romance! People who are looking for sci-fi books with all the technicalities may not appreciate this book as much, but if you’re just looking for a good fiction story without all the confusion, then this is the book for you. Romance lovers should also gobble this up like the most delicious pie. The love and lust story here will definitely make your head spin. This is obviously not a book for children; only adults should read this piece.

I loved most parts of this book, but I had some complaints. The story started out to be fascinating, but in the middle, I couldn’t understand where it was headed anymore. Eventually, though, the story picked up and even exceeded my initial excitement. I had a hard time believing some concepts. For instance, the main universe was called the I Love Lucy universe. Another one was called the Star Trek universe. There was yet another that was called the Hawaii Five-O universe; I found this a bit cheesy. I also disliked a word that one character, Cecil, used too frequently; it was as if he could not make one single sentence without saying “dontchaknow.” However, these do not detract from the overall quality of the story. You don’t come across many books that skillfully mix science, drama, and romance like this one.

I only found four minor errors, so I can conclude that the editing team did a splendid job with this piece. This book has what it takes to be a blockbuster movie. In fact, it felt like it was written with a movie in mind. If you liked the film In Time, then you’ll love Wasting Time. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I didn’t deduct a star because this was a great story, and my complaints do not diminish its quality.

Wasting Time
View: on Bookshelves
Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Post by Tonika632 »

This sounds so interesting. I would love to read it. Great review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems an engaging novel that has also some funny bits like in the naming of the universes. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Cind888
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Cind888 »

This makes my mind relax and forget all the troubles in life for a while.i would love to read it.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

I've always been interested in time-travelling stories and this one might be my next time-travel read! Your review was very thorough and the part where you mentioned how 'this book has what it takes to be a blockbuster movie' was definitely something that persuaded me the most. Amazing work!
ATHIRAJITHI
Favorite Book: Immortals' Requiem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by ATHIRAJITHI »

Traveling is the most beautiful thing in life that I realized. if we are going to travel worldwide that time we can see more lifestyle people, different cultures, different places and the main different type of food that I really want. this book soo special for me.and am deeply enjoyed.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 757
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Life at the Precipice by R.F. Vincent

Post by Bertha Jackson »

I love time travel romance books. Hopefully, I will get the opportunity to read this one. Thank you for a great review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarnaaman.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

Your review projects this book as a promising and a full package deal. I liked the idea of laws regarding time travel. We have heard so much about time travel that its right time to bind it with laws (even in fiction lol). Keep up the good work.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

SamaylaM wrote: 11 Oct 2020, 07:44 I've always been interested in time-travelling stories and this one might be my next time-travel read! Your review was very thorough and the part where you mentioned how 'this book has what it takes to be a blockbuster movie' was definitely something that persuaded me the most. Amazing work!
I also agree about the possible movie plot. This book seems a perfect plot for a movie.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

NetMassimo wrote: 11 Oct 2020, 05:21 This seems an engaging novel that has also some funny bits like in the naming of the universes. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Names of the universe are a bit too funny to fit in. Anyways, the review is indeed good. :)
By Rob White
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Christieee wrote: 07 Oct 2020, 06:12 Wasting Time is book 2 in the A Tale of Physics, Lust and Greed series. It really does live up to the title of the series, as it is, indeed, a story with a mix of physics, lust, and greed.
This statement made me chuckle for some reason. :-D This is quite an interesting combination of elements!

Thank you for your review. I loved it!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

I appreciate that more authors are now presenting scientific concepts in an easier way to understand. Thank you so much for the insightful review and recommendation.
Tarilan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarilan.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Tarilan »

The story line can make a good movie. The laws regarding time travel, the spying, suspicion, all the pieces joined together make a good thriller.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

I love a good blend of sci-fi, drama, and romance. It is most especially interesting if it plays around the idea of time traveling. I hope to come across this book someday. Great review!
HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by HannahsReads »

Thanks for an interesting review! I have seen some great and some terrible time travel books--Just One Dman Thing After Another is really great if anyone is looking for a good time travel book.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”