Official Review: Rats in a maze by Peter Bailey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Official Review: Rats in a maze by Peter Bailey

Post by Ria710 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rats in a maze" by Peter Bailey.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rats in a maze is a sci-fi/fantasy book by Peter Bailey. An accident occurred one night, which involved a car driving off a pier. Detective Ray Fisher and Detective Brad Lahoti were assigned to the case. What looked to be a normal traffic accident, turned out to be so much worse. Will Ray and Brad solve the mystery? Or will they be too late?

What I liked about the book was that it immediately hooked me in from the first chapter. The first chapter was very intense, and it made me want to find out what happened next. The story is written from the third-person perspective. This is great because it allowed me to learn about the other characters, and I was able to see their side of the story. I liked seeing Ray’s character develop throughout the book. He is confident, fearless, and kind.

Furthermore, I like that the author talks about sexuality and discrimination in the story. It teaches readers important messages. For example, it teaches the importance of accepting everyone for who they are, regardless of their age, gender, and race.

I enjoyed reading the book and trying to solve the mystery with the characters. At 261 pages, the book is short, and it can be read very quickly. There are a lot of twists and turns that will have you turning the pages.

What I disliked about the book was that the formatting was all over the place in the pdf document. The page numbers were in the middle of paragraphs, and the text was being split in the middle of sentences. This made it difficult to read because the story wasn’t flowing smoothly. I would have also liked to see more dialogue for Brad. I felt like Ray was doing most of the talking when they were working. Another thing I disliked about the book was that I felt like the story was going nowhere halfway through. I became confused, and I kind of lost interest in reading it.

Overall, I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because it was an enjoyable read. I have to knock off one star due to the formatting, and the mistakes I found. The book could do with another round of editing. As a warning, the story mentions rape, assault, and murder. These topics could be triggering for some people, so please be careful. There are a couple of erotic scenes, so this book is not appropriate for young readers. I recommend this book to adults who enjoy reading mysteries.

Rats in a maze
View: on Bookshelves
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

It’s truly distracting when the format isn’t consistent and well put together. Hopefully, with another round of editing, this book might be an interesting read. Thanks for your helpful review!
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: My Spouse, my friend by Ingiete Oyama

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Besides the formatting, the book sounds like a must read! Your intro gripped me.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 759
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Life at the Precipice by R.F. Vincent

Post by Bertha Jackson »

The plot sounds good. I had issues with a book that terrible formatting. It turned out that the problem might have been with the version of Word I was using to read the book. I haven't had any trouble with my Word program, but it is a definite possibility.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

Such a shame that those issues marred an otherwise interesting book. Great review!
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

Sci-fi/fantasy never goes down well with me, especially with these errors. I'll pass this one!
HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by HannahsReads »

I like that you point out what a thoughtful and kind character Ray is! I enjoy reading books with exciting plots, but I also like to relate to the characters as I read.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

I assume the book/ebook on sale has the correct formatting, so you can enjoy an intriguing novel that addresses important themes. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Jojobiz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojobiz.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Jojobiz »

Great review! Now I am curious about the extent of the 'worse'.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”