Official Review: Stir of Embers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Robert Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robert-potter.html
Latest Review: Stir of Embers by Christopher Javier Bustamante

Official Review: Stir of Embers

Post by Robert Potter »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Stir of Embers" by Christopher Javier Bustamante.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Stir of Embers by Christopher Bustamante begins in the quaint town of Falcon Gate, where a string of gruesome murders has the town completely on edge. Women are being bitten on the neck and drained of their blood. Michael, the main character, is drawn into the search for the killer, ominously referred to as the Man In The Black Suit, when his girlfriend, Rachel, is the first young woman to fall victim.

Michael’s search takes him to an alternate universe with a fantastic cast of characters, both good and evil. He eventually begins to realize how this alternate world of Embria and his home are connected, and how the stakes of making the wrong move could be disastrous. 

Stir of Embers is a brisk tale that wastes little time setting up the world before diving straight into the action. Anyone who is a fan of odd fantasy, epic battles of good and evil, and clever mysteries will enjoy this novel. The writing is taut and the characters are familiar. I connected with each one almost immediately. Whether it's the quirky witch named Tulip or Raine, the duty-bound acolyte, even in their fantastical setting, these characters feel authentic. 

Additionally, while the book does rely on the pure good vs. evil for evil’s sake fantasy trope, it tackles this tried and true story structure in a unique way relying on the strength of the writing and characters to deliver a new and refreshing experience. Nothing felt cliché or forced. Bustamante really makes these characters and the world his own. 

That being said, I wish Bustamante had taken a little bit more time expounding upon what he references in the book about Emberia. I appreciate the “dive-right-in” mentality Bustamante has with this book, but I did have trouble keeping some of the names straight, and I really found myself wanting to know more about certain tidbits of backstory that are only hinted at in pieces of dialogue or in a few paragraphs of exposition. 

Overall though, Stir of Embers is a solid read from start to finish that can be completed easily in an afternoon. The book is professionally-edited, and while there are some graphic scenes, there is nothing that would rule out this book for potential young adult readers interested in fantasy. I would strongly recommend this book to anyone who wants an interesting take on the classic fantasy set up. 

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. 

Stir of Embers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
:tiphat:

Where you can also find me: https://robertthewriter.substack.com
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Krista Ash »

This sounds like an interesting read. A mix of fantasy and mystery sounds like something I'd enjoy. I'll have to add it to my reading list. Thanks for the helpful review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

A novel that uses classic premises to create something original is certainly intriguing. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Ogbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86

Post by Ogbara »

Interesting review, I believe am going to enjoy reading. Thank you
ShiraReads
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirareads.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by ShiraReads »

This sounds like a thriller with a touch of fantasy! Can't wait to read it. Thanks for the helpful review!
Tayejim1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tayejim1.html
Latest Review: Manning Up:(PoesyEssays Of Women's Interest) by Mr.Bigmann Grier

Post by Tayejim1 »

I hope the graphic scenes are really mild. Sounds like a very interesting plot. Well done.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”