Featured Official Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Leverage
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leverage.html
Latest Review: Jesus, Prosperity Gospel and Poverty in Africa by Elijah Oladimeji

Re: Featured Official Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes...

Post by Leverage »

Sounds exciting to read. Author seems to be super hardworking on his book since you mentioned this is a well written book. Thanks for the tip. Think I'm going to seek for this one.
Feistykit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Feistykit »

When I've begun to read this book, I couldn't get into it at first, of course! because you know that's just the first page.
As I begin to read and continue to read on the book started to get interesting very fast, now i can actually say this is one of my favorite books.
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

Cool review! Been on the lookout for new fantasy books to read as I just finished the Lord of the rings! This sounds like a fantastic book to read. Great job
Mohammad_Iqbal
Favorite Author: James E Doucette
Favorite Book: The Fountainhead
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mohammad-iqbal.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul
fav_author_id: 117197

Post by Mohammad_Iqbal »

My curiosity increased just by looking at the beautiful art works on the cover page. I would like to read the first part and then this.
tcudoc90
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tcudoc90 »

I’ve read both books and Colvin’s writing style is outstanding. The characters are well developed and each scene is described in such detail that you can imagine what it would look like in your mind. The story is complex so you must pay careful attention. He put a glossary in the back just in case you forget who a character or what the location is. It comes in handy if you read the book slowly over several weeks.
Colvin has created an entire world that goes back and forth between Earth and the world he has created. The medical aspect is interesting, since I’m in the medical field. You can tell that the medical portion is written by someone who knows what they are talking about. Not surprising since Colvin is also an Emergency Medicine physician, as described in his author details.
The underlying medical themes are subtle but he tackles many issues related to mental health and suicide. The fact that the main character is an emergency medicine physician on Earth is very interesting and the glimpse into that life gives the reader a glimpse into the struggles that many physicians deal with in real life.
The seamless transitions between the real world and the fantasy world he has created is well done. The comparisons to the works of Tolkien are heavy praise, but I feel they are warranted. Ideally, the readers will read the first book in the series before reading this one so as to understand the background of each character. However, Colvin does a good job of giving the reader just enough detailed “reminders” to allow this book to be okay as a stand alone. But most will want to read the first book before this one. I believe the plan is to have two more books in the series, and the first two will leave you wishing you could get a sneak peek at the next in the series.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”