Official Review: The Albatross: Contact by Connor Mackay

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Official Review: The Albatross: Contact by Connor Mackay

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Albatross: Contact" by Connor Mackay.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

At the beginning of The Albatross, written by Connor Mackay, alien ships hover over major cities on Earth, including Ottawa, Sydney, Berlin, Moscow, Rio de Janeiro, Cairo, Beijing, and Tokyo. Several months later, humans learn that they are Lumenarians, and Arthur, commander of the Albatross, a magnificent spaceship, is their leader. The aliens look like humanoid dinosaurs, and their goal is to recruit humans to help them fight a war on their planet. The alien vessels can load around 1.5 million volunteers, and among them are the protagonist (Will) and his buddy Frank, who waited six hours in line at a recruitment camp set up in the Los Angeles Coliseum to enlist.

The enemies, the Forsaken, are enigmas. In 150 years of conflict, none got captured, and the Lumenarians have never been able to penetrate their armor or their ships. An enzyme in their suits releases upon their deaths and destroys any organic material within. In return for human help, the Lumenarians offer to deploy their advanced technology to save our planet. The aliens see that humans mistreat Earth, and they intend to help fix that.

There are several positives worth mentioning in the book. For starters, the science-fiction elements are imaginative, and the author does a great job of describing the technology. I thought this was a noteworthy positive aspect. For instance, the human applicants get tested by the aliens to see if they are biologically compatible with a piece of alien biotechnology that is at once a powerful tool and a weapon. The author skillfully depicts the tech that integrates with the human host to harness the natural energy created by the body. I liked the idea of flooding humans with highly advanced nanites to enhance their energy output. I also appreciated how the aliens used wormholes to cover distances (a traversable wormhole-creating technology).

Additionally, I enjoyed the author’s writing style. Will, his partner Sarah, and Arthur take turns narrating the story using the first person. These different perspectives were what I enjoyed the most about the book. I felt that this kind of diverse narrative, with multiple points of view, gave readers a unique and insightful take on the plot.

Finally, the book seemed professionally edited, and I found no negatives worth mentioning. Thus, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. It will surely appeal to readers who enjoy sci-fi thrillers. Those who are put off by violence might not like it as much, though, for it has a fair share of blood and gore. It also has an abundance of profanity, so it is a book for adults.

The Albatross: Contact
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

I likely will skip this book. But you had a great review here. Thank you!
Mohammed_Sameer2
Favorite Author: Marcel Proust (Author)
Favorite Book: Swann's Way: In Search of Lost Time, Vol. 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mohammed-sameer2.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
fav_author_id: 221667

Post by Mohammed_Sameer2 »

A beautiful review my dear friend mmm17, that you discovered the basic theme of the work which was based on the techniques of science fiction novel, the originality of idea and the narrative style. additionally, I believe that new science fiction novels reflect the deep impact of human imagination and its expectations about another intelligent life on space. Have a great day.
Luluwa79
Favorite Book: Peter and the Parachute
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: Peter and the Parachute by Nicola Ridgeway and James Manning

Post by Luluwa79 »

Thanks for the detailed and well-written review.
It sounds like an interesting book but I will skip it because of the profanity and violence.
Always seek God in all your dealings and He will help you find the right path.
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

I think I would do with a little sci-fi thriller. Also, this UFO and alien conversation is gaining momentum over time. Good job on the review 👏
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

The premise sounds intriguing and professional editing, along with excellent writing is a bonus. Thanks for the detailed review and recommendation. I can't wait to dive in and give it a read!
FalcTus
Currently Reading: Thir13en
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falctus.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by FalcTus »

At first the story was just like the movie "THE 5th WAVE", but when the aliens want to fix the earth. I hoped that there may be some living organisms in space in our real life and with their technology may the earth get fixed.
And the over all review was greatly plotted.
Sarrikoziol
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarrikoziol.html
Latest Review: House of Cuts by June Gillam

Post by Sarrikoziol »

A different sort of alien invasion. I can get behind it. After reading your review, I will definitely be checking it out. Blood, guts, gore, and profanity has never stopped me before from enjoying a good read. Thank you for a compelling review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This is an interesting variation on military science fiction full of alien technologies and mysterious enemies. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Dr D
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dr-d.html
Latest Review: The Internet President: None of the Above by P.G. Sundling
Reading Device: B07QCCW5KB

Post by Dr D »

The book sounds like 'The Transformers'. Aliens who help humans with their problems, and in return demand help in fighting their own enemy. Still I don't think I will ever read it. Anyway, your review was fabulous. Thanks.
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

This book as described in this review seems like an endless series of engaging scientific plots. Nice mix. Thank you for a well written review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”