Official Review: Tribal Scars by JD Clair

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Official Review: Tribal Scars by JD Clair

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tribal Scars" by JD Clair.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tribal Scars by JD Clair is a coming-of-age tale that takes place partially in another universe. Dominick was severely traumatized when his mother tried to kill herself by crashing the car with him in it. Teenage Dominick still hasn't forgiven her. While trying to run away from his problems, Dominick finds himself transported to another world where clans live, spirits dwell, and wars wage. There is an ongoing battle between the villagers and the sometimes demonic bear-like creatures. Dominick becomes immersed in this world, and its problems become his own. He develops relationships with the people and creatures of this strange land and soon discovers his views of his former life have changed. 

This book is a pleasant blend of genres. It is definitely an action adventure novel. It is full of fantasy and supernatural elements. It is also the story of a young boy finding ways to deal with his emotional past. There is even a bit of young romance involved. 

I enjoyed reading this book. Its unique plot intrigued me. There were many references to Native American culture and spiritual beliefs. I found this part of the novel fascinating. There is also a handy glossary at the back of the book to address the unusual terms and ideas. The book also has quite a few illustrations throughout. They depict some of the dark scenes and aspects of the fantasy realm Dominick travels to. The pictures really captured the essence of the story. They were beautifully done. 

My favorite part of this novel is that it seeks to deliver a message and does so in an exciting and well-crafted way. I can see how this book would easily appeal to adult readers as well as to a younger crowd. Everyone can benefit from the lessons portrayed and still enjoy the book for its plot. The book is a bit short. I didn't like how some parts seemed a bit rushed. There wasn't a lot of explanation as to how the travel between worlds works or even why it exists. However, I can understand that this might not be an easy task to accomplish, and perhaps the author felt other parts of the story were more important. 

Overall, I thought this was a well-written, entertaining book. I found very few typographical errors. This was obviously professionally edited. I think this book will appeal to a variety of ages and types of readers. I would recommend it to young adults and to fans of fantasy novels. Although it contains real-world problems, if you're looking for a book set in a time and place that is relatable to our world, this may not be for you. I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is short and could have used more detail in some places, but the story is original and meaningful. I was not disappointed, and I don't think you will be either. 

Tribal Scars
View: on Bookshelves
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

The title depicts some conflict. However, it seems like a young one trying to battle with the past. Thanks for the review 👍
Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Pluma »

I like the sound of the exciting plot in this book, and the elements of Native American culture seem interesting. It sounds like the author did a good job of telling the story in a unique and interesting way. Thanks for the great review!
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

The Native American inspiration, along with the blend of different genres, makes for an exciting reading experience. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look out for it and give it a read when I get a chance. Thanks for your detailed review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

I might be a bit old for a coming-of-age story, but the intertwining of different universes with its consequences is intriguing. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

I’m curious to read this book having taken note of the fact that the plot is executed with pleasant blend of genres. I would love to experience that.

Thank you for a well written review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”