Official Review: The OG Three and The Harmony

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Official Review: The OG Three and The Harmony

Post by Pluma »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The OG Three and The Harmony" by Sean Jackson.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The OG Three and The Harmony by Sean Jackson is an exploration of self and the journey of life told from a unique viewpoint. The author tells his own story, blending several other elements into the plot to provide an interesting perspective on life, forgiveness and finding yourself.

The book starts off with the imagined creation of the universe when three entities—Unity, Love and Fear—create the world and everything in it. These entities continue to influence the growth and behaviour of life and its actions, and their influence runs under the story as it goes along. We are then introduced to ‘Ulf’, the main character of the book; we follow his story, from his childhood, his time playing rugby and his turbulent family life, to his time in the Australian army and afterwards. Ulf learns lessons about life and family as well as love, fear and unity; most of the time, he learns these lessons the hard way, and his journey makes up the main plot of the story as he struggles to find and accept himself and bond with those around him.

This book is short and sweet and written in a way that is creative but still simple. The story is sometimes told in an indirect or figurative fashion, such as when it takes on a rhyming cadence or the form of one of the author’s raps, and this gives an interesting spin to the author’s story as he writes of his inward struggle and finding himself in the ups and downs of life. The tales he tells are engaging, hopeful and insightful and provide a unique perspective on life; this element was my favourite part about the book.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of problems with the book; it needs another round of editing, as there are many spelling and grammar errors throughout the whole narrative. This interferes with the reading experience, as some things like the layout and wording of certain sentences are confusing and convoluted. There are few paragraph breaks, and punctuation is poorly used and often incorrect, such as here: “Ulf quick off the line targeted the first receiver hit him at the thighs, wrapped up the legs and brang him down.” There are also some misspelt words and many words that are used incorrectly, such as ‘they’re’ instead of ‘their’ or ‘carrier’ instead of ‘career.’ The confusion caused by these elements detracted from my experience of reading the book, and this was disappointing. These errors and the confusion caused were what I least enjoyed about the book.

There was some profanity in the book, though it was not overly frequent. There was no sexual content at all, and only some mentions of potentially sensitive topics such as domestic violence and violence in general. Though the book is suited to most audiences, I would recommend it to older readers, as children and teens probably wouldn’t find the subject too interesting and also because of the occasional profanity.

Though there are some good life lessons and insights in this book and the story is touching, the writing style and editing are poor. I rate this book two out of four stars, taking one star off for the multiple errors and another for the writing style that made it confusing at times to figure out what was going on. However, I did enjoy the book and the insights it provided, and I think the author did a good job telling his life story. I recommend this book for those looking for a quick, light read with a fresh perspective on life.

The OG Three and The Harmony
View: on Bookshelves
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

The storytelling style certainly seems unique; it's too bad about the editing problems. Thanks for a comprehensive review!
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

Despite the critique of bad grammar and errors in the book, I think the storyline is unique and I’m open to reading it too. I hope I am able to enjoy it. Thank you for a well written review.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Unity, love and fear..... Wow! This is a must-read for me. Thanks for the insightful review and recommendation.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

This book seems to have some really lovely message. Too bad there are too many errors that affected your enjoyment of this book. Anyway, thanks for your insightful review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel has some potential, but also needs some important editing work to develop it properly. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”