Official Review: The Disciple by Kelvin Parker

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fliesie01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fliesie01.html
Latest Review: Inside Outside: Black Wings Series by Sharlie M. Riverton

Official Review: The Disciple by Kelvin Parker

Post by Fliesie01 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Disciple" by Kelvin Parker.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Disciple is a fictional story of John the Blessed, who walked with Jesus. But it plays out in the modern world, and though John doesn’t look it, he is 2000 years old. The story is an interesting rendition of demons roaming the Earth as humans, waging a war on the US and Russia. This is an action-packed thriller where the demons try and undermine God to take over the world.

Kelvin Parker did exceptional work on this story. It feels like something that hasn't been done before. His imagination is very creative and, the story covers things that I have never thought of. It is a stroke of genius. The Disciple will get your imagination going and it will take you on an adventure, one you never knew you needed.

What I like most about the book is the fact that it was different from anything I have ever read. I have never read about humans trying to fight demons. In my mind, there seems no way that this scenario would end well for the human race. I also liked that it is a Christian book. What I disliked most about the book was the lack of pronouns. Most of the characters' names were repeated just a little too much. For example: "Jack made it through the Bay Bridge toll with no problems. Jack surveyed his surroundings, Jack checked his rearview mirror no one was tailing him". This format made it very hard to read and sometimes hard to follow the story.

I rate The Disciple 3 out of 4 stars. The reason for my rating is because I saw mistakes, and it seems the book will benefit from another round of editing. But despite the mistakes and the construction of the sentences, it was a good book to read. The storyline is interesting and overall it was a good book.

I would recommend this book to action and thriller fanatics. The Disciple has a few gory parts that might not be for everyone. This book had me wondering about the ending throughout and about how Parker would bring everything together, and he managed it perfectly. Some Christians might be skeptical about a demon themed book, but this one is done very well and I would recommend that you give it a try. It might just surprise you as it did me. You will not regret reading this book.

The Disciple
View: on Bookshelves
The world belongs to those who read.
-Rick Holland

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”