Official Review: The Blocker by R. L. Snyder

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Official Review: The Blocker by R. L. Snyder

Post by That Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Blocker" by R. L. Snyder.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Blocker by R. L. Snyder is a story about a seventeen-year-old boy, Arthur Earsterdrak, who nature appoints to be a blocker. He leads the fight against monstrous beings whose aim is to wipe out other beings from the planet. He also gets the opportunity to fight side by side with other superhero characters like Thor.

The story is purely fictional. And like every work of fiction, it feeds on the things that make us fundamentally human — conflict, passion, love, lust, fear, hatred, jealousy, exaltation, etc. It touches the things we crave and the things that move us most. It also allows us to look at the world in an entirely different light — in the light of the characters and actions as the author creates it.

This book's plot may not be unique, but the author put a twist to it that made it worth every minute I spent reading it. The narrative was engaging and suspenseful. I was so captivated by the author's presentation that I found the book difficult to put down. When I managed to take a pee break, I hurried to go back quickly and continue from where I stopped. The twists and turns, elements of surprise, and the betrayal sub-themes contributed to making this book a joy to read.

The author was very detailed in his writing and description; they were quite graphic. The author described actions, fights, looks, etc. in a way that sticks to the mind long after the read. He did it so skillfully. He described the extraterrestrial beings perfectly — how they talked, walked, and acted. He even described the fight scenes in a way that allowed me to see the actions vividly while it fed my imagination. This appealed to me most in the book.

The book did trigger different kinds of emotions. As the storyline progressed and the sequence of events played out, I couldn't help but identify with the book's mood and tone. While reading the book, I was happy; at other times, I was angry. However, the most consistent emotion was cheerfulness. I also felt the romantic connection between Arthur and Kathleen, as the author described it skilfully with indelible words.

I loved how the author carefully developed the characters. They were not unique per se; they were derived from other myths, legends, and folktales. But here, the author gave them a distinct uniqueness.

There's absolutely nothing that I disliked about the book — it was written well and edited professionally. I found a few errors in the book, though. However, the book was such an exhilarating read that the errors had little or no effect on me. The book deserved four out of four stars. Those who enjoy myths and legends, with occasional actions, would find the book appealing.

The Blocker
View: on Bookshelves
fancyjg
Favorite Book: Timewise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fancyjg.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by fancyjg »

This is an amazing review. This sounds like a fictional story I would bury my head all day to read. The fact that it has a superhero makes it extra interesting.
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Nmesoma »

I'm always captivated by mythical stories exploring legends and portraying them in another light. Thanks for mentioning the love story embedded in the plot as well, it really convinced me to try it out.
evabernalte
Currently Reading: The Narrow Gate
Bookshelf Size: 43

Post by evabernalte »

I love fantasy stories.
The author is doing a great job in exploiting a plot that surely a reader would love.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by NetMassimo »

This really seems an engaging novel with great plot and characters with great inspirations from myths and legends. Thank you for your terrific review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Vannaskivt »

Oh! The plot twist sounds very interesting. Your review certainly grabbed my attention, I might have to add this one to my list of books to check out. Thank you.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”