Official Review: Tephra Rising by K. C. Weston

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: Tephra Rising by K. C. Weston

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tephra Rising" by K. C. Weston.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It's the year 2130, and the world is no longer as we know it! The Alliance is now in control of everything, and life is steadily becoming unbearable, especially for non-members of the Alliance. Though Cynthia Frank had a job, her boss always treated her unfairly because she wasn't a member of the Alliance.

When two recruiters met with Cynthia one morning and asked her to join an underwater civilization, she didn't expect her decision to be a difficult one. While she was trying to decide, her boss accuses her of stealing in the office. And that was the final straw! Hence, she quits her job and joins the recruiters to the underwater civilization known as the Colony. In the Colony, Cynthia, now known as Tephra, discovers that things are not as rosy as the recruiters told her they were. The leader of the Colony is power-drunk. He is willing to eliminate anyone in his way to conquer the world, not minding that his quest could destroy the Colony. Tephra soon finds herself leading the rebels determined to bring their beloved Colony back to its former glory. Will the rebels be able to defeat the powerful Supreme Principal of the Colony? Time will tell!

K. C. Weston has taken me on a fascinating ride I won't forget in a hurry with this novel, Tephra Rising: The Colony. It's hard to believe that this is the author's first book in this challenging genre. More so, this is the first book in the Tephra Rising series. This novel excellently combines sci-fi and dystopian themes while maintaining an alluring balance between science and humanity. I must commend the author, K. C. Weston, for the impeccable portrayal of the dynamic nature of humans. I enjoyed the depiction of contrasting leadership styles in the book and how they affect people.

What I liked the most about this book is its faultless characterization. I enjoyed how easy it was to relate to each character's personality. It helps that the author's descriptions are vivid, simple, and direct. The thoughts, appearance, and actions of the characters are clearly described and distinct. It didn't take long for me to start empathizing with them due to how life-like they were. I became so attached to some of the characters that I greatly feared for their safety and hated anyone who meant to cause them harm.

Furthermore, the worldbuilding in this book is praiseworthy! The author convinced me of the possibility of life underwater through coherent and relatable descriptions. I was able to form clear pictures of the Colony in my mind. It just felt as if I was physically witnessing the events unfolding in the Colony. I enjoyed the author's use of the third-person point of view in the narrations because it gave me an unbiased perspective of each character's stance.

This book is also bespangled with humor. I enjoyed how it brought comic relief in-between the suspenseful narrations. I fell in love with Eleven's character. He was just too funny. The witty remarks between him and Ninety-three always made me laugh. However, my favorite character is Tephra. I like how courageous and smart she is, and I am sure other readers will love her too.

Nevertheless, I found more than ten typos in this novel. Though the errors didn't stop me from enjoying the story, I am unhappy about the many typos. It's the only reason I won't be giving the novel a perfect rating, which is unfortunate. I believe another round of proofreading would help the book to earn the rating it deserves. Until that is done, I am rating Tephra Rising: The Colony 3 out of 4 stars. The title is devoid of profanities. Be advised that there are descriptions of people dying in the book, so readers who dislike reading about such things can skip this one. I am recommending this novel to readers who love dystopian and sci-fi books, especially those who enjoy stories with strong female protagonists.

Tephra Rising
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Luluwa79
Favorite Book: Peter and the Parachute
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: Peter and the Parachute by Nicola Ridgeway and James Manning

Post by Luluwa79 »

The book seems fascinating, but I will skip it till it is edited.
Thanks for the review
Always seek God in all your dealings and He will help you find the right path.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The City We Became
Bookshelf Size: 425
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel seems to have a strong storyline with great characters that also offer an interesting depiction of the possility to live underwater. Thank you for your terrific review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:

Post by Saint Bruno »

Luluwa79 wrote: 12 Nov 2020, 04:34 The book seems fascinating, but I will skip it till it is edited.
Thanks for the review
I really appreciate the kind words!
Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:

Post by Saint Bruno »

NetMassimo wrote: 12 Nov 2020, 11:58 This novel seems to have a strong storyline with great characters that also offer an interesting depiction of the possility to live underwater. Thank you for your terrific review!
Yep! I found the book to be very intriguing. Thanks for stopping by.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I want to join an underwater civilization! I'm so curious about this author's world building. I definitely need to put this one on my list, in spite of the errors. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

A book on complex leadership styles allows us to reflect on the various ways that our societies are governed. It is sad that the editing was not well done.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Bookworm101520
Currently Reading: Dead Mountain
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm101520.html
Latest Review: Crooked Creek: A Comedy about Writer's Block and a Neurotic Home Owners Association by Fredrick Robertson

Post by Bookworm101520 »

I definitely love dystopian books! An underwater civilization sounds so cool. Thanks for a great review!
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Tephra sounds like a brave and determined individual. I hope she was able to save the Colony. I also hope the book will be subjected to another round of editing, it looks like it's a great read. I enjoyed the review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:

Post by Saint Bruno »

REIGN GODDESS wrote: 13 Nov 2020, 05:18 A book on complex leadership styles allows us to reflect on the various ways that our societies are governed. It is sad that the editing was not well done.
kandscreeley wrote: 12 Nov 2020, 19:19 I want to join an underwater civilization! I'm so curious about this author's world building. I definitely need to put this one on my list, in spite of the errors. Thanks.
Bookworm101520 wrote: 13 Nov 2020, 16:22 I definitely love dystopian books! An underwater civilization sounds so cool. Thanks for a great review!
Nqobile771 wrote: 13 Nov 2020, 21:48 Tephra sounds like a brave and determined individual. I hope she was able to save the Colony. I also hope the book will be subjected to another round of editing, it looks like it's a great read. I enjoyed the review.
Thanks a lot for finding time to read and comment on my review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”