Lunar Chronicles, Marissa Meyer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MissLeila
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =5506">The Iron Knight</a>
Currently Reading: Bruja
Bookshelf Size: 422
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missleila.html

Re: Lunar Chronicles, Marissa Meyer

Post by MissLeila »

Lovely_Loreley wrote:
MissLeila wrote: The problem with this book that it lacked description "of how life is in this futuristic world, the means of transport, communication and importantly the characters physical appearances (I still don't have a clear image of how the prince nor Cinder looks).
Personally, I sort of like when authors leave the details a bit vague - it leaves me with more room for my imagination to take flight :) While I agree that certain developments were oh-so-obvious (my roommate guessed the final major development by about 20 pages in) I was still captivated by the world and the story itself. I couldn't help but identify with Cinder and devoured the first two books in a couple of weeks - and it only took me that long because college is quite time-consuming. I'm still waiting to get my hands on Cress, but I'm sure it'll be worth the wait!
I'm happy you liked it, I still need to read the sequel to it. I hope I'll get to it this summer, you never know it might change my mind.

For me, description and details are important in a distopian/paranormal/fantasy/...ect novel.
because I'll either imagine the worst scenarios/places or I'll relate it to another book's world. And this, I don't like it, because I start Comparing books, and my review will be completely subjective (based on comparison, it's not fair to do it to such a creative writing/storytelling).

I hope Cress will be everything you expected, happy reading and enjoy!
TRCDFamily
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 570
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trcdfamily.html
Latest Review: "Initiated To Kill" by Sharlene Almond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by TRCDFamily »

I am loving this series! I just finished Cress. I cannot wait for Winter to come out! I have read all her in between stories too. Did you know you can get on Marissa Meyer's newsletter and have access to all those mini-stories? Fun little bits of background while we wait for the next.
Latest Review: "Initiated To Kill" by Sharlene Almond
L_Franz
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Bookshelf Size: 2
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by L_Franz »

I love these books. I have never read the stories of fairy tales this way. It a brand new way to tell the fairy tales. Each book bring in new characters and new obsticles the characters must face. I cant wait to start reading the last book, Winter, which comes out november 10!
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

I'll have to look it up. I'm not usually into sci-fi, but I love reading new interpretations of fairytales. So it should be fun!
Morgan_Malone
Currently Reading: Queen of Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-malone.html
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine

Post by Morgan_Malone »

I loved the first book Cinder. I had been avoiding reading the series for a long time because space and robots tend to turn me off of a book but I am really glad that I picked the series up because the first book was amazing. Hopefully I'll get a chance to continue the series soon.
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine
Mori
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mori.html

Post by Mori »

I really enjoyed the way all the characters were given a new light. There's very little to the old stories that follow through with the new characters. Cinder isn't someone who's just out to go to a ball and dance with a prince, but rather a deep character who is not only a skilled mechanic but part cyborg herself. Scarlet isn't a child that gets herself lost in the woods, but rather someone who shows she can take care of herself. The only one I noticed to stick a little close to home was Crescent, and even she is a skilled hacker and very intelligent. I was completely pleased with these books and the way they were written, other than the slight ambiguity of the characters "culture" and what it was like at the time. A lot of the "world" the characters were left in was kind of left alone or forgotten. That's my only real problem with these books.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

i just finished Scarlet last month. I'm not actually into this kind of books but my daughters gave me copies and asked for my opinion about the stories so I read Cinder. I may not have liked it as 'super like' but it piqued my interest. So, I read Scarlet after Cinder. in a way, I like them better than the traditional fairy tales because the 'damsels in distress' are not helpless. I'm planning to read Cress sometime in the future and I will be waiting for Winter.
sand1
Favorite Book: mara daughter of the nile
Currently Reading: grey wolves series
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sand1.html

Post by sand1 »

I actually read this book for some reason I am constantly thinking that I must be the only one and no one else would ever like reworked fairytales I am so happy to find out I am not the only one. And I just love the Prince of course because he is so nice to her and the stepmother is awful. As far as descriptions I like reading and having the book detailed but it isn't necessarily too important because I often find that by the end of the book I have changed everything about the appearance and function of the world to suit me, for example if I don't like a scene in the book because of a tragedy the author wrote I will pretend it didn't happen and rewrite it in my head. Anyone else do that?
braver
Currently Reading: Playing Big
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braver.html
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan

Post by braver »

I was surprised at how much I liked this series. I don't usually enjoy re-tellings - I find they are often very heavy handed and really beat you over the head with the story parallels. Not so with the Lunar Chronicles. Yes, each book's focal heroine is based on a fairy tale character (Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel, and Snow White, respectively), but to me each was more of an allusion to the original rather than a straight re-telling. Cinder, Scarlet, Cress, and Winter all had very clear personalities and displayed strengths and weaknesses, a happy departure from the traditional fairy tale. I will definitely read these again.

Did anyone read Fairest: Levana's story? Sometimes prequels fall flat and seem unbelievable in connection to the rest of the series, but this one felt seamless. I thought that the heartache and pain that Meyer crafted into this story was incredible.
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan
davidh219
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by davidh219 »

I'm actually more than halfway done with the last book in the series, Winter, right now. Great books. The plot is pretty basic, it can be cheesy at times, and the world-building is pretty shallow, but the characters are so well written. I'm not even into romances that much in general, but Meyer has made me love FOUR couples. FOUR. They are all perfect together and adorable and I love them all. 4/5 star books, every single one of them.
braver wrote: Did anyone read Fairest: Levana's story? Sometimes prequels fall flat and seem unbelievable in connection to the rest of the series, but this one felt seamless. I thought that the heartache and pain that Meyer crafted into this story was incredible.
Yesssss. Fairest is secretly the best book in the series, imo. So good.
ScrawledLetters
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawledletters.html

Post by ScrawledLetters »

The Lunar Chronicles are very near and dear to my heart! With a sci-fi/fantasy twist I was hooked since page one. The lovable characters and frustrating villian(s) kept me in a whirl of emotions throughout each book. This is definitely a series I will continue to read again and again!
little_wonderland
Currently Reading: Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-wonderland.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by little_wonderland »

I finished reading the 4th and ‘last’ (there’s also Stars Above so I don’t really count this as the last book) book of this series, Winter. It’s been a real emotional roller coaster. First part of the book was great, I wasn’t bored or anything. Then I got to the middle and I started to get angry and wished this book was a little shorter (I have a paperback with around 820 pages). Nothing was happening. I mean, “nothing” is a strong word but, basically, what I mean is that I was expecting this epic battle and it just felt like it takes forever to get there. After that I finally got into more interesting part and then again something went wrong and I was bored again. Lady Midnight is pretty long book, too, but when I read it I was hooked from the beginning to the end.

When it comes to characters I’m happy and even surprised that I started to like Cress & Thorne (in Cress I wasn’t as excited as now). And I also found myself a new ship :).

I also really enjoyed how Luna was described. I feel like this is what this series was born to be about. Luna and its politics, culture and environment. When I read Winter, Luna was a way better setting comparing to New Beijing.

The ending itself was a little too ‘clean’ (e.g. Wolf) and at the same time open (e.g. Kai and Cinder) and even rushed. The ending was open and I’m not sure if it’s good or bad.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Post by Genaaa »

I haven't really gotten around to reading this series but judging off the posts in this forum, I think I might add it to my reading list. It seems like something I would genuinely enjoy spending my time reading.
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera
martha87
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martha87.html
Latest Review: "What the Thunder Said" by R. R. Washburn

Post by martha87 »

This series has been constantly checked out of my library! I've been waiting to read it, but am on a very long list. Now that I know it has classic fairy tales woven in, I am even more excited to get my hands on the books.
Latest Review: "What the Thunder Said" by R. R. Washburn
Annie P
Currently Reading: Managing Transitions
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Annie P »

Chiming in here--I'm new to the forum, and was happy to find a review of the Lunar Chronicles. I've been reading through them at my daughter's suggestion (we share a love for SF/Fantasy books) and think they are wonderful. Cinder, especially, is a great character, who, although beset by unhappy circumstances, makes the best of them. I also like that she is a true friend to those she loves.
I was delighted to go into my Library today, and find a copy of Winter on the shelf! Can't wait to jump into it!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”