Official Review: Shadow's Voice by Natalie Johanson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Official Review: Shadow's Voice by Natalie Johanson

Post by ALynnPowers »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Shadow's Voice" by Natalie Johanson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Shadow’s Voice by Natalie Johanson is a fantasy story which takes place in a fictional world where magic can be considered both a gift and a curse. Rose Trewin is a young woman who has run away from her past to escape the life that has shamed her for her magical abilities to travel into the shadow world. While hiding out in a quiet town, she encounters a friendly traveler who is later attacked by mercenaries. With his dying words, he entrusts Rose with information that must be delivered to the king. Against her best instincts, Rose delivers the message and accepts refuge within the castle among a group of people who do not shun her for her magic. While her magic could help stop an assassination attempt on the king, Rose finds herself the target of darker magic that wants her dead.

Rose is a conflicted character with a mysterious past that we only learn about through snippets here and there throughout the book. Rose is at an age and a stage in her life in which young adult readers can relate to her because of her youth and attempts to be independent, but I think that adults can also relate to her as well due to the immense responsibilities that have been placed on her. This book would be great for older young adults and new adults who enjoy fantasy tales.

I don’t think I can begin to stress how much I enjoyed this book. Immediately after I finished the book, I checked to see if there was a sequel available. Much to my dismay, there wasn’t. I don’t know if the author plans to continue this story as a series, but I really hope she does. There are a few questions that are left unanswered and one particular plotline that wasn’t quite complete, so I really think that this book has set a good stage for a potential series.

I’m usually not one for intense romance stories, so this book was perfect for me. This book was more about action, adventure, suspense, and magic. There was a tiny, subtle hint of a romance in this book, but it definitely wasn’t anything to scare me away. In fact, it’s one of the characteristics of the book that kept my eyes glued to the pages.

If there is anything that I didn’t care for in the book, it’s that the storyline is a little bit hard to follow without intense concentration. A few times I felt like I had to go back and re-read sections because I missed something important. That might have been my own fault for rushing to find out what happens next, and I certain don’t hold this fault against the book.

Overall, I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the characters in this complex story, and I couldn’t put it down. The writing appears professionally edited with only a handful of minor errors that are easy to overlook. With sporadic profanity and some mild graphic violence, not too many young adults would be turned away from this book. I certainly recommend it to anyone who enjoys tales of fantasy and magic with a strong female lead.

Shadow's Voice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

I enjoyed reading this book too and would love to read a sequel! Nice review :)
Devika Rajesh
Favorite Book: Void
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-devika-rajesh.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B076HWYMJQ

Post by Devika Rajesh »

I like books with Fantasy and magic. It seems like this is a perfect book for me. I am looking forward to read it.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a novel that uses classic fantasy elements to tell Rose's story, with her problems, a complicated past, and her search for something. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
jeanmtdb
Favorite Book: Devil Among Us
Currently Reading: The Dragons of Chiroptera
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanmtdb.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jeanmtdb »

Your review makes me want to read this book. I've added it to my bookshelves so that I can find it easily. Thanks!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”