Official Review: The Joke at the End of the World

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Official Review: The Joke at the End of the World

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Joke at the End of the World" by Scott DIkkers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Patrick Stoodle is a twelve-year-old boy who has a simple life in Cordial Falls in the 1950s. He lives with his father named Mason, and he helps a lady called Mrs. Cummings with her daily chores. However, Patrick always feels that something is wrong, that the children he knows don't like him, and that his dad hides something from him. On Patrick's twelfth birthday, Mason told him that he would take the boy to the 2020s in a time machine. In this travel, the young boy gets to know the COVID-19 pandemic, the Black Lives Matter movement, the smartphones, and the fact that his father was hiding more secrets than he thought.

The Joke at the End of the World by Scott Dikkers is a unique sci-fi novel that brings the themes of racism, COVID-19, faith, homophobia, gender, and sexuality questions. The author talks about some issues with seriousness, but he also uses humor to make the novel lighter.The story's narrator is Patrick, so the reader sees every scenario from the perspective of a curious and wary boy who was discovering a new reality.

My favorite aspect of this book was the character development. Dikkers created realistic personas with different viewpoints. For example, Patrick is always worried about how his life will end, and we see his concerns when he overthinks or imagines the future. Nevertheless, the characters also try to conscientize the reader about the importance of masks and social distancing in the pandemic. For instance, Patrick talks about the symptoms and the consequences of the COVID-19 on the human organism.

There is nothing to dislike in this novel. It seems professionally edited, well-written, and I found only a few errors that didn't disrupt my reading. Besides, the author constructed a structured story that is hard to put down, with an unexpected turn of events, and that catches the readers' attention until the end.

Therefore, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Dikkers created an exceptional narrative full of twists, mystery, engaging stories, and well-developed characters. I recommend it to those readers who are interested in reading a unique sci-fi or young adult novel, but also for those people who need hope or optimism in pandemic times. However, I don't recommend it to people who aren't interested in fiction books that talk about technologies, time travel, or aliens. This volume also contains a few profanities, so I don't recommend it to children, but they didn't disturb me.

The Joke at the End of the World
View: on Bookshelves
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

The title of this book caught my eye. This sounds like a clever storyline. I wonder what the father’s secrets are—I guess I will have to find out. Thanks for your thorough review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Devika Rajesh
Favorite Book: Void
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-devika-rajesh.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B076HWYMJQ

Post by Devika Rajesh »

It really sounds fun. I have always liked the idea of time travelling. I am curious about the father's secrets, though.
Alice Ngugi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-ngugi.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Alice Ngugi »

This sounds fun! Imagine living in what was someone's distant future! I am now seeing what it would have been like for someone to have time travelled to such a time as this. It is an interesting book, with an interesting title and equally creative concept. Great review
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

Probably I'm too old for this novel, but this seems nice for young readers who can read about important issues. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
ValeriaU
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeriau.html
Latest Review: Alibi Island by SLMN

Post by ValeriaU »

It sounds like a fun book, I'm not a fan of time travel so I probably won't read it but it sounds like a good book. I'm interested in the fact that they included mayors events of 2020.
“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
― Stephen King, Different Seasons
Latest Review: Alibi Island by SLMN
Rukitejevbo02
Currently Reading: The Maid
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rukitejevbo02.html
Latest Review: Faults by Orion Gregory

Post by Rukitejevbo02 »

This sounds like a wonderful book and I would love to read it. I love time travel books, and the fact that the narrator went to the 2020s just makes it even better. Thanks for the review.
GianKosi77
Favorite Author: M. Curtis McCoy
Currently Reading: Divided World
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giankosi77.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 197138

Post by GianKosi77 »

I have read your great review and I agree that the book deserves a full rating. The author has addressed critical and rare issues in the society. Thank you.
And a highway will be there; it will be called the Way of Holiness.
Mutumba94
Currently Reading: Shadow Game
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutumba94.html
Latest Review: Living Forward After Loss by Kathleen Ho

Post by Mutumba94 »

I feel like I am too old for this book but I would read it anyways. I love science fiction books and the themes you stated really caught me. Will definitely read this one, hope it won’t disappoint.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”