Official Review: Monster Fables by John Price

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Official Review: Monster Fables by John Price

Post by ciecheesemeister »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Monster Fables" by John Price.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Monster Fables is a short graphic novel by John Price. The target audience appears to be readers in the middle-grade range. At the beginning of the story, a wizard and his daughter are out walking when three hoodlums sneak onto the property and shoot poison berries from slingshots. The daughter is struck by the poison berries, becomes ill, and turns into a monster.

The wizard seeks assistance from his adult niece, asking her to attend to teaching duties at the castle. A variety of misbehaved characters are introduced throughout the story. These miscreants appear in the form of monsters, but when they repent their bad behavior, they turn back into human children.

Overall, I enjoyed the story, which is told in a rhyming style. My favorite part of the book was the illustrations. The illustrations were drawn in colored pencil, which is one of my favorite mediums. The text is easy to read against the background.

The story has a clear, positive message and is suitable for kids in the target audience. It contains no profanity and no sexual situations. There is mild fantasy violence, but nothing that most kids would find upsetting. The monsters are amusing rather than frightening. Parents can feel comfortable giving this book to middle-grade readers or reading it to younger kids.

I believe that the book was professionally edited. I did not find any errors in the text. The rhyme scheme was not rigorously consistent, but the narrative was clever and easy to understand. My only issue with the story was that the ending felt a bit haphazard as if the creator couldn’t quite decide what to do with the narrative at that point.

I am impressed with the creator’s willingness to take on the task of not only writing but illustrating the book himself. This is no mean feat, and most people do not have the patience or the talent to take on such a task. It felt to me like the creator may have become frustrated toward the end of the process and wanted to wrap things up.

I give Monster Fables three out of four stars. It tells an interesting tale with an important message and the illustrations are clever and appealing, but the execution at the end of the story needs some polishing. If the creator were to slightly rework the finale and to check the rhyme scheme for consistency, this could become a four-star book.

Monster Fables
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Unique Ego »

I like that the author is pushing the idea that being a well-behaved child is the better path in life. I like how repentant children are depicted as monsters who turn back into human children. Sounds like a good story book for children.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a good book for anyone looking for a present for a kid in middle school, also thank to its positive message. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”