Official Review: The Elf Brief - Book One of The Magi Cha...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Official Review: The Elf Brief - Book One of The Magi Cha...

Post by ALynnPowers »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Elf Brief - Book One of The Magi Charter" by Jordan David.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Elf Brief – Book One of the Magi Charter is the first of a nine book series by Jordan David that outlines the epic tales of Santa and his elves. In this introductory book, Noel Night is an unknown elf in the tiny reference department of the North Pole. Soon, the current Santa will be leaving, and a new Santa will take his place, as is customary every one hundred years or so. One day, Noel is invited to attend the elf briefing with Santa and the department heads, and he is then given the special assignment of documenting the upcoming transition. Noel then experiences a variety of adventures, such as visiting the human world, that other elves do not often experience. With more changes on the way, Noel learns that he has so much more to discover about humans, elves, and the North Pole.

Just in time for the holiday season, I was very excited to read this book that was sure to take me on a Christmas adventure. I could definitely see some similarities between this book and the 90’s movie “The Santa Clause,” which I recall very clearly from my childhood. There was a strong nostalgia factor that made the book quite enjoyable. It was fun to compare and contrast the two stories.

This book contains a lot of background information about the operations of the North Pole and the systems/departments run by the elves. There are even certain sections that get pretty technical and scientific. Because of all of this, the content sometimes appears a bit dry and slow-paced. While there is something quite admirable about the creativity and research that must have been involved in attempting a scientific explanation for the operations of Santa and his elves, it seemed unnecessary. The magic and “powers” involved in the story were sufficient explanations; the science just bogged the story down with excess information that was, frankly, just boring. It was out of place for a story that could have been light and fun with a whimsical, magical feel to it.

Although the topic of the book does seem to be more targeted toward children, I don’t think that I would recommend this book to children. There is no profanity or graphic scenes, but all of the technical information just doesn’t seem like something that children would find interesting. Even I didn’t think it was interesting at times, but fortunately I was able to find enjoyment in many other parts of the book.

Overall, I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars, and I would recommend it to adult readers who are yearning for a book to bring some Christmas cheer and nostalgia of childhood into their lives this year. While there is a lot of “heavy” information that slows down the overall pace of the book, the rest of the book is interesting enough to overlook the more science intensive portions. I found quite a few errors and typos throughout the book, and I read the version from Kindle Unlimited. I think it still needs another round of editing in order to appear more professional.

The Elf Brief - Book One of The Magi Charter
View: on Bookshelves
Noelle770
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noelle770.html
Latest Review: The Tattered Black Book by Lexy Duck

Post by Noelle770 »

I loved "The Santa Clause" growing up so this sounds like a book I would enjoy during the holiday season! Hopefully, it gets another round of editing. Excellent review.
jardenjarden
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jardenjarden.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by jardenjarden »

It's interesting how there are so many scientific explanations in the story, as when I was reading the beginning of your review I definitely thought it would be a story more formatted to suit a younger audience. Nevertheless, it certainly sounds like an interesting Christmas narrative. Thanks for your review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

I was curious about this series having seen some of its novels available for review, but the number of books was discouraging. It seems funny if you don't mind the pseudo-scientific explanations. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Chamirish
Currently Reading: A Bloody Book
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Chamirish »

This sounds like an interesting book. I’ll have to check it out. I like that it’s similar to one of my favorite Christmas movies. ☺️ Thank you for your review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”