Official Review: Super Violette by Joshua McDermott

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Official Review: Super Violette by Joshua McDermott

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Super Violette" by Joshua McDermott.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

While pondering her existence and its relevance, Violette Hana Flores is abducted and transported by Robo—the leader of the Villains—into a world of superpowers where each unique ability is part of a larger scheme. The chemical explosions of the Third World War have given rise to humans with special abilities. These Powered have secretly maintained world balance while carrying on with their everyday lives. Violette's contact with the Villains and the Guardians unleashes a chain of events that will force her to confront a super-powered part of herself she never knew existed.

Who is Robo, and what does he want with Violette? To what extent will the feud between the Villains and Guardians influence the world as they know it? Will Violette be able to truly master her powers? This story chronicles the events of Violette's life and her journey to self-discovery.

As much as I tried to enjoy Super Violette, I have to admit that it was confusing and boring to read. Joshua McDermott attempted to create a fictional story of superheroes akin to a comic book but only served a very disjointed story. Most of the narrative kept switching between the characters in the first person. This made it difficult to follow the story. I had to keep going back and forth to grasp what was happening. This was what I disliked most about this book.

There were also some instances of "character mismanagement." An excellent example of this was Robo. After abducting Violette, I expected Robo to play a more prominent role in the story, being the leader of the Villains. But he seemingly disappeared and didn't take part in some essential parts of the plot. Characters like Krane and White Fox also seemed to materialize from nowhere. I could not understand their relevance to the story at all. Seeing as this is the first book in a series, maybe these characters will be more prominent in subsequent volumes.

McDermott's humour was the only thing I liked about this tale. It smoothened the dialogue and helped me better understand the characters and their personality flaws, and made them more relatable. However, some characters like Robo and Star Gazer were still something of an enigma. I could not really understand their personalities as they remained shrouded in mystery.

The editing of this book was not professional. I noticed a ton of errors while reading, which wasn't ideal for a tale this short. Owing to these errors, the story's disjointed nature, and the character problems, I rate it 2 out of 4 stars. I think the book still needs a lot of work to deserve a higher rating, but I can't give it a lesser rating because I've read much worse. I would recommend this book to lovers of sci-fi and comic books. I think these people would still be able to derive some measure of enjoyment from reading it.

Super Violette
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

Shame this novel is so flawed, otherwise it would be a lot of fun to read. Some important editing might still save it. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Leverage
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leverage.html
Latest Review: Jesus, Prosperity Gospel and Poverty in Africa by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Leverage »

Maybe the author has a vast imagination and many ideas but can't put it all together.. think reviews will surely help. Thanksfor the honest review
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

Too bad the comic book approach did not work as intended. It will be interesting to see that. I hope the book gets some tweaking on the areas you pointed out. Thanks for the insights!
Ayora
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayora.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ayora »

It's a good thing there's humor in the story, it probably helped pull you through the book. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”