Official Review: In The Shadows by RL Nelson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Official Review: In The Shadows by RL Nelson

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "In The Shadows" by RL Nelson.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the Shadows is a fantasy fiction novel written by R.L. Nelson. The first book in The Paradise City trilogy, it combines several well-known fantasy tropes for a quick and satisfying read.

Rose Knight has a lot on her plate. She’s only a teenager, but, following the death of her mother, her father’s descent into alcoholism, and her brother’s disappearance, she’s left to fend for herself and her younger sister. On top of all of that, she has no memory of her childhood years – a condition her doctors diagnosed as Dissociative Amnesia. When Areon, a recent transfer to her high school, keeps popping up wherever she goes, she realizes there might be a connection to him and her missing memories. A secret about her bloodline is also revealed, and Rose, along with her best friend, Andrew, discover there’s more to the world than meets the eye. The three of them set out to stop a warring god and his violent wife from raising an army meant to wreak havoc on humanity.

The aspects of this book I liked were the beginning and the end of the story. It kicked off with the attention-grabbing hook, “I wanted to kill someone,” then left readers with a satisfying – if sort of predictable – cliff-hanger. The pacing of In the Shadows between these two points is a little fast, though this is not exactly a bad thing. Also, the direction of the plot branches off from a popular story originating in Greek mythology, which is a bonus in my opinion.

I found it immensely difficult to connect with the heroine of the story, Rose Knight. She would say or think one thing at one point that makes her seem strong and mature, only to directly contradict herself later on through some nonsensical action or decision. I also couldn’t get a true read on how she felt about other characters (important as her perspective is the only one used) due to how she constantly blamed then un-blamed or liked then disliked the people around her. I couldn’t see any quality that made her a memorable protagonist in regard to personality or otherwise. There’s not much character development for her either, though as this is the first book, I expect that this may be a possibility in later instalments.

I disliked how unengaging and flat the plot was overall. The story doesn’t really deliver any tension or conflict from start to finish, though I believe the scarce settings and descriptions themselves play a large role in this. Nothing supernatural or warranting the fantasy tag really happens until near the halfway point of the novel, and then when it does, it seemed lacklustre and unoriginal.

In the Shadows was somewhat lacking when it comes on to its writing quality. I found a great number of errors while reading. Some were simple mistakes, like using ‘breaks’ instead of ‘brakes,’ which weren’t truly that bad and could maybe have been overlooked. The biggest issue I found had to with punctuation, especially with dialogue in the story. The formatting of certain sentences (most especially spacing between words that looked like typos, though they occurred so frequently they couldn’t be ignored) also left a lot to be desired. I do not think this book was professionally edited.

I rate In the Shadows 2 out of 4 stars. I think this story has decent potential, though it definitely needs to be worked on. I think a two-mark deduction because of the number of errors, need for plot and character improvement, and general absence of intrigue is justified. I recommend this book to readers who enjoy low fantasy that follows popularly explored avenues.

In The Shadows
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Sararob06
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sararob06.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Sararob06 »

I’m surprised it’s still categorized as fantasy but lacking in that department. Hopefully the author revisits this and puts some work in to it, it sounds like it has a lot of potential.
Jennifer Aldo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-aldo.html
Latest Review: War Tower by Joseph Leo DeCelle

Post by Jennifer Aldo »

Thanks for the honest review. Hopefully the author sees this and does the necessary amendment.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

The novel addresses an important and sensitive subject, but the protagonist seems sort of overburdened with inconsistent characteristics. A strong protagonist was needed to make up for the lack of originality. In the end, the book's potential wasn't developed very well. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Vivian Jabeya
Favorite Book: Tales of the Seventies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-jabeya.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Vivian Jabeya »

The book has an interesting storyline. It's a pity that the plot didn't deliver any tension or conflict from the start to the end. Thank you for the honest review!
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

Sararob06 wrote: 24 Dec 2020, 16:06 I’m surprised it’s still categorized as fantasy but lacking in that department. Hopefully the author revisits this and puts some work in to it, it sounds like it has a lot of potential.
So do I!. I think the issue is that the fantasy part came too late in the plot, so it didn't seem too crucial a part.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

Vivdija wrote: 27 Dec 2020, 05:38 The book has an interesting storyline. It's a pity that the plot didn't deliver any tension or conflict from the start to the end. Thank you for the honest review!
You're welcome! Thank you for your response, and I'm glad you enjoyed reading it.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

Jennifer Aldo wrote: 24 Dec 2020, 17:09 Thanks for the honest review. Hopefully the author sees this and does the necessary amendment.
You're welcome! I hope so too. It's a great story, it just needs some fine-tuning to make it better.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

NetMassimo wrote: 25 Dec 2020, 02:35 The novel addresses an important and sensitive subject, but the protagonist seems sort of overburdened with inconsistent characteristics. A strong protagonist was needed to make up for the lack of originality. In the end, the book's potential wasn't developed very well. Thank you for your honest review!
You're welcome!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”