Official Review: The Wanting Hearts by Nicole Jordan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Crossing Paths by Nina Purtee
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Official Review: The Wanting Hearts by Nicole Jordan

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Wanting Hearts" by Nicole Jordan.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"And in real life endings aren't always neat, whether they're happy endings or whether they're sad endings." I think Stephen King was spot on and Nicole Jordan's short stories followed suit. The Wanting Hearts is a collection of five stories with interestingly twisted endings. The stories range from alien abduction, worldwide travels, vampires facing eviction notices, and anything that could cross the imagination in the science-fiction/horror genre.

I liked "The Stupid Vampire" and "The Reunion" stories the most. The first story was about a vampire that spent all of his inheritance by lavish living. When Roman obtains employment, he discovers he is no better than anyone else. I would like to point out my views of Wal-Mart's overnight employees have changed. They are all vampires! "The Reunion" is about a small town high school reunion. Sandy returns for the reunion only to find that she is still subject to the same bullying she had endured growing up. The next day Sandy discovers that everyone in the town are werewolves. Sandy's love interest, Hunter, reveals his shared feelings and ultimately she has to decide if she will return to her successful life as an architect or stay in a werewolf society as the only human. The ending was so shocking, that I had to reread it to make sure I wasn't imagining it.

Jordan wrote this collection of dark stories with several humorous moments. I was very disappointed by how poorly the editing was done. All of the stories have multiple errors that are extremely distracting. This could discourage some readers. Another round of editing would be beneficial.

I am rating The Wanting Hearts 3 out of 4 stars. I deducted a star for the multiple errors. This is the first book in The Heartless Series and the amazing creativity throughout the stories is a major plus. Jordan's writing style was admirable. Few short story collections have definite beginnings and endings that don't leave anything out.

I would recommend this book for adults that enjoy science-fiction short stories. The "Young Sire" is a story that includes graphic details of child abuse, drug use, and sexual content that could be triggers for some readers. Some religious groups would dislike the violence and homosexual content as well. I enjoyed how unique each story included well-developed main characters and how the pace flowed easily in all of them. Jordan's creativity is a talent that I encourage for new Indie authors.

The Wanting Hearts
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

The stories in this collection seem intriguing, but the author should really do another round of proofreading to allow her readers to fully enjoy the stories. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

👽🛸 Alien abductions, evictions, AND vampires?! What a fascinating collection of short stories this must have been. Thank you for your helpful summary and analysis!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Why in the World Are We Here?
Bookshelf Size: 2400
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I loved your opening quote, and this seems like and amazing and diverse collection of short stories. I hoe that the author takes your comments into account for a second editing round. Thank you!
Stephanie Runyon
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Crossing Paths by Nina Purtee
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

Lunastella wrote: 28 Dec 2020, 21:29 I loved your opening quote, and this seems like and amazing and diverse collection of short stories. I hoe that the author takes your comments into account for a second editing round. Thank you!
AvidBibliophile wrote: 28 Dec 2020, 13:17 👽🛸 Alien abductions, evictions, AND vampires?! What a fascinating collection of short stories this must have been. Thank you for your helpful summary and analysis!
NetMassimo wrote: 28 Dec 2020, 02:35 The stories in this collection seem intriguing, but the author should really do another round of proofreading to allow her readers to fully enjoy the stories. Thank you for your great review!
I did the review of a PDF file. When I looked at the actual book on Amazon, the editing had definitely improved
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Ayora
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayora.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ayora »

The reunion sounds like a fascinating bit. I hope the editing gets done. Thanks for a detailed review.
Daisy Deeh
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey
Bookshelf Size: 109

Post by Daisy Deeh »

Hold on, the book is breathtaking. thank you for detailed review,let me hurry and get my copy
Daisy Deeh
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey
Bookshelf Size: 109

Post by Daisy Deeh »

A good start of the review , i hope the book gets edited well. nice work
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

Sounds like an interesting collection. It’s a pity the editing was poorly done. Thanks for your insightful review!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I like dark stories with humor, so than you very much for the recommendation! Great job with the review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”